What do the Flames need most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bennett had major issues with finishing last year. He generated some really nice opportunities on a consistent basis, he lack the finish to bury them.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Bennett had major issues with finishing last year. He generated some really nice opportunities on a consistent basis, he lack the finish to bury them.
Which is strange because he has shown the ability to finish, but again, it probably goes back to the confidence issue.
EntireForthrightIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Lazar, at best will be a quality 4th liner imo, kid has tunnel vision making him a poor playmaker, in addition he lacks the offensive acumen to set himself up to score...Regardless his shot isn't very heavy and definitely not accurate. But he plays with a high motor, can hit, he's bigger and tougher than given credit for. If he could round out his defensive game, he'd be a fine 4th liner.

Bennett on the other hand has flashed top 6 upside and he's still very young. He'll easily reach the 2nd/3rd line tweener status, can definitely be a quality top 6 player, and I'd even go as far to say, if the stars align, a top line player.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gully appeared to be a very hands-off guy when it came to the locker room. Maybe Peters can help out Bennett's confidence because the dude was really trying his hardest but nothing was going right for him. Despite all of our new acquisitions, none of them have Bennett's ceiling. Although it looks like the chances he reaches have grown slimmer, management knows that if they can help him get everything to click then we'll be much more dangerous

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I was referring to how you talking about him desperately needing to improve that, chances are he will bounce back to that. That was my entire point.

Sorry, I missed your point, hopefully he bounces back, he needs to shoot somewhere 10%-15%.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
They need Johnny to show up to camp with a big beard.

Wasn't he a reverse Samson? Played like crap with that beard, suddenly better without it?

Or am I remembering wrong?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Oops, I somehow mixed up that comment with Sam Bennett.

But just for you:

5LIHRd5.jpg

(Stolen from previous posts in HFOil)
Wow!!! That beard surely adds 10 lbs to his frame, a couple of inches to his height, and 25% to his toughness factor. Pull out a couple of teeth and we've got a Brent Burns clone.
:thumbu::thumbu:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Which is strange because he has shown the ability to finish, but again, it probably goes back to the confidence issue.
EntireForthrightIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

If you watch a lot of Bennett’s goals, the puck comes awkwardly off of his stick. Of course not all of his goals are like this, but it’s like he can pull off some amazing moves / dangles, then gets overly excited when it’s time to actually shoot it. I’m hoping this gets better as he matures and the game slows down for him, if it does he will be a 30 goal scorer.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
If you watch a lot of Bennett’s goals, the puck comes awkwardly off of his stick. Of course not all of his goals are like this, but it’s like he can pull off some amazing moves / dangles, then gets overly excited when it’s time to actually shoot it. I’m hoping this gets better as he matures and the game slows down for him, if it does he will be a 30 goal scorer.
yup, I know exactly what you're talking about...
article_a0fc2482-713c-4647-83ba-b6510e618104.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I know it's caused some panties in bunches on this forum. But I'd really like to see Benny get a good 10-15 game stretch in a top 6 role.

Under Gulutzan, it seemed like he would get moved up from time to time, play solid, maybe not score; then would find his way back down the lineup at any adversity/change.

Like, when he was Gaudreau/Mony's RW, I thought he looked good. He looked dangerous and didn't look out of place on the top line. We pick up Stewart on waivers and somehow he gets Bennett's job without doing a thing.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Man, having Bennett and Janko figure it out this year would make us so dangerous offensively. Would give us the ability to move guys like Lindholm, Neal, Bennett, Frolik up and down all lines as needed. We'd now have a Top 9 and a Bottom 3 rather than a Top 6 and Bottom 6.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I know it's caused some panties in bunches on this forum. But I'd really like to see Benny get a good 10-15 game stretch in a top 6 role.

Under Gulutzan, it seemed like he would get moved up from time to time, play solid, maybe not score; then would find his way back down the lineup at any adversity/change.

Like, when he was Gaudreau/Mony's RW, I thought he looked good. He looked dangerous and didn't look out of place on the top line. We pick up Stewart on waivers and somehow he gets Bennett's job without doing a thing.

Gets his job? Didn't he play there for 2 periods?

I would love Bennett to be a legit option in the top 6 this year because (assuming Lindholm can play center) it makes our line-up so much better, but Bennett hasn't really done much to earn it or to complain if other guys are given a shot there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Stewart played there for 1 whole period when he was acquired, you make it sound like he was parked there for a while. Alot of coaches will put a new guy on the top line for a little bit just to see what they have, even Hartley and Sutter would do it.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

It is time Bennett be expected to earn his ice time. There are so many parts of his game that need work. Bottom 6 for sure unless injuries have him slotted higher.

Enough gifts.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Stewart played there for 1 whole period when he was acquired, you make it sound like he was parked there for a while. Alot of coaches will put a new guy on the top line for a little bit just to see what they have, even Hartley and Sutter would do it.

Not to mention the season was already lost barring a miracle, and that our RW was absolutely pitiful overall. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not to mention the season was already lost barring a miracle, and that our RW was absolutely pitiful overall. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

We picked him up at the TDL.
Going into that night, our record was 32-23-9, good for 71 points. 18 games left to play. Essentially, if we went season average: 9 - 6 - 3 we'd have finished with 92 points, shy of the playoffs :laugh:

Literally had to go a few games above .500 (including OT losses) and we could have been in the show. That's not a miracle at all.

The point wasn't that 'oh he played there for 1 period'. It's the fact that Bennett looked fine on the top line, but was bumped as soon as possible by Gulutzan. Hell, when Bennett got first line centre duties with Ferland and Gaudreau mid-way through the season when Mony missed a game, that line didn't skip a beat. We talk about a player earning a role, in Calgary, but players earn roles by being in positions to succeed. Playing with two guys who looked like Rookies most nights, didn't help (although I do appreciate Sam taking ownership of his suckage this year).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Going into that night, our record was 32-23-9, good for 71 points. 18 games left to play. Essentially, if we went season average: 9 - 6 - 3 we'd have finished with 92 points, shy of the playoffs :laugh:

Literally had to go a few games above .500 (including OT losses) and we could have been in the show. That's not a miracle at all.

The point wasn't that 'oh he played there for 1 period'. It's the fact that Bennett looked fine on the top line, but was bumped as soon as possible by Gulutzan. Hell, when Bennett got first line centre duties with Ferland and Gaudreau mid-way through the season when Mony missed a game, that line didn't skip a beat. We talk about a player earning a role, in Calgary, but players earn roles by being in positions to succeed. Playing with two guys who looked like Rookies most nights, didn't help (although I do appreciate Sam taking ownership of his suckage this year).

Well, you're just illustrating why stat watching isn't always helpful. Anyone following the team at the time should've been skeptical about this team making the playoffs, I know I was. You're also stating that if they'd played at the pace they played all year we still would've missed. So yes, 'miracle' is somewhat accurate. Also, arguing that Bennett should've stayed on the top line, is really a separate argument from whether it was a good idea to try Stewart on the top line. The issue isn't that Stewart was tried there for a period, the issue is Gulutzan didn't put Bennett back there afterwards.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well, you're just illustrating why stat watching isn't always helpful. Anyone following the team at the time should've been skeptical about this team making the playoffs, I know I was. Also, arguing that Bennett should've stayed on the top line, is really a separate argument from whether it was a good idea to try Stewart on the top line. The issue isn't that Stewart was tried there for a period, the issue is Gulutzan didn't put Bennett back there afterwards.

To be fair. Mike Smith went down against the Isles, after that game Calgary kind of hovered around .500 for around half dozen games (before the TDL) and nothing was happening with Smithy (like there wasn't any news coming out). There was still reason to be hopeful for a run to the playoffs.

I can agree with the second part there. I just think the coach we fired was terrible in putting the majority of his players, in places for them to succeed. Which sucks, because this team is really, really young still.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Bennett didn't look fine on the top line at all. The games he spent there, by and large featured zero offence or even offensive chances from the top line (which, for a one-line team, is disastrous). The one time Bennett looked good with Gaudreau outside of the pre-season was the famous game where Gaudreau-Bennett-Lazar took over for one period and produced multiple goals, in which Bennett was unlucky not to receive any points. But with Johnny and Monny, Bennett sucked the offence out of the line every time he was put there, visually speaking of course.

I was always relieved when Gully disbanded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad