What do the Caps need in order to get to the next level?

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
better luck is what they need

they have outplayed the pens, dominating shots on net and puck possession

who would've thought fleury would stand on his head?

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
A coach with playoff success. They fired BB because of his lack of playoff success, and replaced him with Trotz who had even less playoff success.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I don't even think this is about the caps. I think Pitt is just at a point where they have the players, coaching, experience, and ability to execute and the Caps just keep running into them in the post season and can't get over the hump

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
The Caps are not out of it, good gawd. Fill the net next game and Fleury may never gain his confidence back.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Trotz as your coach and Ovechkin as your captain. Start there.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
They need a real number one defenseman, Carlson is one of the more overrated players in the league.

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
I think they need an honest assessment of AO. Don't get caught up in his past regular season success. He is starting to look like the old version of Willie Mays.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
So we're just choosing to forget Dumoulin getting a hooking penalty for Oshie holding his stick? Refs miss calls. Players partake in gamesmanship. It's a hockey play. Caps fans and evidently neutral observers seem to have very selective memories.

I'm not ignoring that. But in the last 2 minutes of a playoff game, you have to get the call right, or don't make one.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
A captain that doesn't have yellow laces.

I think there is a place for exhuberance and originality in this game. And even room for players with large egos if they are properly contained and utlized. But you don't give players like Ovechkin and Subban letters on their jersey unless you're alright with a weak locker room.

These guys are incredible talents that should be working their magic on the ice, not put into leadership positions when that's not their strong point. On the contrary, they need strong leaders around them.

Ovechkin is an amazing player who needs a change of scenery with a team that will put clear boundaries. If that happens, he'll be a hell of an asset. But he has become a liability with the Caps.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Avoid the Penguins. Seriously there's no doubt in my mind they would win the cup this year if they didn't have to face the Penguins.

They struggled against Toronto. It's mental toughness and they lack it.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
A prime Rocket winning OV would certainly help them this year. The caps are solid and structured and balanced, but they are not explosive anymore. When was the last time OV scored a goal outside of his perch? He is a one trick pony now. His ability to score off the rush is gone.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Definitely heart. More specifically North American skaters. These flashy Russians/Swedes don't know how to win.

LOL, what an idiotic statement. If having heart is something about nation, I can very easily say that those guys who eat steel for breakfast in Russia have way more of it than North Americans.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
This year? Goaltending. They can't even try to play their game when they're down by 1 after 5 minutes on a savable shot.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Tank for three of four seasons in a row, like all the good teams* of today have done, pick top three, profit.

*unless you are the Sabres

Start next season and get Rasmus Dahlin.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They already tried that.

No they didn't. They need to go full Penguin/Oiler and tank for like four straight seasons.

No more enigmatic Russian

Which one of Orlov, Kuznetsov or Ovechkin would you describe as "enigmatic"?

Ovechkin is an amazing player who needs a change of scenery with a team that will put clear boundaries. If that happens, he'll be a hell of an asset. But he has become a liability with the Caps.

You make it seem like Ovechkin is in trouble off the ice or fighting with coaches/teammates all the time.

He has had one team violation in 12 years, has done everything the coaches have told him to do while continuing to score goal after goal.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Oh that's right, when the Caps gutted their roster over the span of a few months and traded 5 of their top 6 scorers they were "rebuilding."

You mean the one and a half years they were bad? Compared to the 5 your franchise didn't try to ice a winning team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad