What do the Caps need in order to get to the next level?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Bench Brooks Orpik, Shattenkirk, and Alzner

Combined -14 in 10 games. Holtby isn't the one costing them, its half their D.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
On paper, they seem to have it all... is it merely luck?

To be honest, the new playoffs format is terrible. The #1 and #2 seed should not be facing each other in round 2.

This is the issue this year.

I think people that are saying "heart" and "passion" haven't played a sport before. No clue what they're talking about.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
They have a well rounded team, but their top core guys need to grab games by the throat and take them over during key situations. Ovechkin nowadays is much less effective, but Backstrom in particular has a history of performing much worse in the playoffs than the regular season.

Gonna need some facts to back up that opinion portrayed as fact. All I see is Bäckström leading the team in points this postseason.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that their leading players fail to raise their level in the playoffs - but to me that applies to all of them. So why single one that isn't underachieving ala Holtby, Ovie? Williams (and arguably Oshie?) is the only player who raises his games in the playoffs.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
They need to be in sync. Period.

Previous years Holtby brought a high level of play when their forward core [Kuznetsov, Backstrom, etc wasnt].

This year, the entire team is dominant, and Holtby decided not to show up.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
This year failure because of

1) Holtby
2) The bottom 6, again. 3 goals (all wilson's against toronto) in 10 games.
3) The D not Jennings level anymore

And only then you can blame the top guys.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Avoid the Penguins. Seriously there's no doubt in my mind they would win the cup this year if they didn't have to face the Penguins.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Gonna need some facts to back up that opinion portrayed as fact. All I see is Bäckström leading the team in points this postseason.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that their leading players fail to raise their level in the playoffs - but to me that applies to all of them. So why single one that isn't underachieving ala Holtby, Ovie? Williams (and arguably Oshie?) is the only player who raises his games in the playoffs.
Just look at Backstroms career stats in the regular season compared to the playoffs. Not pretty. And in a very pivotal game last night, he did absolutely nothing. Not even a shot on goal. He's a soft low intensity player imo.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
ovechkins game is not built for the playoffs and backstrom cant command the ice like a centremen in may and june HAS to be able to do

everything flow from those two FACTS

those two dont do enough of the little things consistently to win in the spring

its not about putting up multiple points when your team scores 5 goals a game, its about putting the team on your back when you win 2-1 and you win every key faceoff, block shots, make the smart and safe play ALWAYS

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Just look at Backstroms career stats in the regular season compared to the playoffs. Not pretty. And in a very pivotal game last night, he did absolutely nothing. Not even a shot on goal. He's a soft low intensity player imo.

When you have Ovechkin and Oshie on your line, you never shoot. (+ Shattenkirk on PP)

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Trade Backstrom for Jeff Carter

Backstrom isn't the problem. Secondary scoring (again!) and less than timely goaltending has been the problem. The top two lines have been fine overall. Last years series against the pens Crosby had 2 assist and Malkin didn't do much but their secondary scoring killed us. It's a team effort.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
well first thing you need to do is be like pittsburgh and abuse the draft for about 4 years straight until you land your generational center...

...then win a few cups and act all cocky.

that's how things work in today's nhl

except that's no longer possible so I guess wait for parity to settle in and prey your team doesn't get injured.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

1) Holtby

Not even close

Orpik 22% GF%
Alzner 25% GF%

Shattenkirk 40% GF%

I don't know how you get down the list past Orpik and Alzner giving up a 3:1 goal ratio while on the ice. These guys are playing a 3rd of the game basically putting you a goal down every time you play them. That is not something you can concede to many playoff teams rather the #2 team.

Holtby's numbers aren't that bad when you consider expected SV% (ie factor shot location). PIT is not a normal team and doesn't play a normal system. They are going to shoot at 10%+. Why do you think their shot totals are so low? They aren't taking crap shots and only try to take shots from inside home plate.

Orpik and Alzner are the ones allowing those high % shots while generating none of their own.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Backstrom isn't the problem. Secondary scoring (again!) and less than timely goaltending has been the problem. The top two lines have been fine overall. Last years series against the pens Crosby had 2 assist and Malkin didn't do much but their secondary scoring killed us. It's a team effort.

scoring is only a fraction of whats needed to win in the playoffs

ovechkin and backstrom cant or havent figured that out yet

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
What do they need to do? To injure Malkin and Kessel as well.
But seriously, I have no clue. Very surprised the team has been unable to get deep into the playoffs, let alone win a cup.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
If they had prime OV with this team maybe they would have a chance. If they had Forsberg maybe they would have a chance. With the current state of the team, I think they are going to need big changes. With OVs current salary and production, don't see it.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
On paper, they seem to have it all... is it merely luck?

To be honest, the new playoffs format is terrible. The #1 and #2 seed should not be facing each other in round 2.

If they can't beat the Pens in the second round, they aren't going to beat them in the final or third rounds either. The format has nothing to do with this.

Meob

May 1, 2012
stanley-cup-hockey.jpg

81777626_display_image.jpg

forsberg-cup2001_medium.jpg

81777670_crop_650x440.jpg

Forsberg didn't play a single game those playoffs. Maybe you should remove that picture.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

1) Holtby

Ovechkin, Oshie, Johansson and Williams have a total of 1 goal this series - Ovie's in game 1. That is why you're losing. 2.25 goals a game is simply not enough for the post season.

Could Holtby have been better? Absolutely. But he's not costing you wins, that's your stars (or some of them anyway) failing to show up. You can't blame the bottom 6 for a lack of production when 3 of your 4 highest paid forwards (and 4 of your 6 highest paid Fs) are not doing ****. They're getting paid to produce and simply are not getting it done.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
I think people that are saying "heart" and "passion" haven't played a sport before. No clue what they're talking about.

Ovi doesn't either. Does this help?

Heart, in this case, equals busting your ass if only to TRY to get to Kessel. Lay out. Put a stick in front of him. Anything but this.

That's your "leader", that's your common denominator all these years, and that's the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad