What do the Caps need in order to get to the next level?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They have a well rounded team, but their top core guys need to grab games by the throat and take them over during key situations. Ovechkin nowadays is much less effective, but Backstrom in particular has a history of performing much worse in the playoffs than the regular season.

“Our top guys tonight, I thought, weren’t as good as they needed to be,†Trotz said. “I didn’t think our top guys really stepped up today, which was very unfortunate for us.â€

Asked specifically about Ovechkin’s play, Trotz didn’t call out his captain. “I would say our top players didn’t play as well as they need to be,†Trotz reiterated. “They need to be top players and step up right now.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rid_collaborative_2_na&utm_term=.af34d2d00d0e

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
After that long period, trade star for star to get a new way. Any difference in roster could be just better because the old roster looks lost in PO. But they still are in this year.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Do one more players only meeting. Injure Crosby (if he's back by game 5), Malkin, and Kessel in the first 10 minutes of the first period.

:sarcasm:

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
It's become a joke in this neck of the woods. Always say to each other - will they make it past the second round?

They have changed just about everything in the last 5 years with the exception of some core players. If this year is another early exit then maybe it's time to change the core.

It was Green's fault.
It was GMGM's fault.
It was BB's fault.

And so on and so on and so on.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
A defense with foot speed.

A team identity. They aren't overly fast, they aren't very tough. They're just a very good team overall that doesn't excel at anything (except regular season goaltending) which is easy to neutralize come playoff time. Compare them to a team like Edmonton who also has a somewhat slow defense but Edmonton has lots of forward speed and two of their lines are punishing physically.

Players that elevate their game in the playoffs. Ovechkin and Backstrom both put up points in the playoffs but neither take their game to a new level. Kuznetsov is even worse.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
I hate to say it, but Ovechkin's successes appear to come at the expense of that of his teammates. You can't defer to one player in the playoffs. Backstrom is a sick, sick player, but he's always going to be third fiddle behind Ovechkin and Ovechkin.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
consistency from Holtby in the playoffs... so far he's been really average in the playoffs, whether it was TOR or PIT

Washington forwards learning how to score more than 2.25 goals a game would be a very good place to start.

Now if I'm being honest, a grittier style of play that goes to the net more. Washington is a very parameter team. Most of their shots against Pittsburgh has been from the blueline or the outside. Most of the chaos around the net has been from shots that were originated from in close. Pittsburgh made that change 2 years ago when they traded Neal for Hornqvist. A down grade in skill, scoring ability and offense, but an upgrade in terms of playoff hockey where you must go to the net. Why do you think Rust is having success?

You could move some individual pieces, but I think that's less of an issue then the overall mindset.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Stop whining and complaining like little girls every time you face any adversity. Realize that you have to earn a cup, and that you're not entitled to one just because you have a generational talent on your team. Focus on what needs improved, instead of just stubbornly making the same mistakes and then blaming everyone else except yourselves. Washington has a losing mentality and until they are willing to look themselves in the mirror, admit that to themselves, and adjust accordingly, they will continue to never win a cup.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
It's really bizarre to see the Capitals choke year after year, when their roster is consistently getting stronger. Perhaps it is just bad luck, but it could also be a coaching/managerial issue. I think if they are eliminated in this round, which is most likely going to occur, the organization needs to take time to reflect internally and seek some changes. The quality of talent is certainly outstanding on the ice, so I really don't see it being a roster issue. They have an elite goaltender, elite forwards, elite d-men, just need to find a way to put it together better in the post season.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Definitely heart. More specifically North American skaters. These flashy Russians/Swedes don't know how to win.

stanley-cup-hockey.jpg

81777626_display_image.jpg

forsberg-cup2001_medium.jpg

81777670_crop_650x440.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad