What do the Caps need in order to get to the next level?

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
Get rid of Dick Patrick. I think, in his early life, that guy must have killed a leprechaun or something. He has been here for all the collapses.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
well first thing you need to do is be like pittsburgh and abuse the draft for about 4 years straight until you land your generational center...

...then win a few cups and act all cocky.

that's how things work in today's nhl

except that's no longer possible so I guess wait for parity to settle in and prey your team doesn't get injured.

How'd the Caps get Ovechkin and Backstrom again? My memory is a little hazy.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
On paper, they seem to have it all... is it merely luck?

What do they actually have though?

Do you see an elite #1 defenseman?

Do you see an elite #1 center who can dominate in the playoffs?

Do you see a clutch gamebreaking forward?

Caps are the biggest pretenders. They have good amount of skill, good depth, balanced defense, good goalie.. All things you need to be successful in the regular season. But they simply don't have guys who can take you over that hump.

I mean.. the Caps aren't as bad as their playoff history would suggest. They're (almost) always competitive even in the playoffs. They play a lot of tight games. But being one of the favorites while you have at max one of the many needed pieces to win the cup - that's not a good recipe for success.

Even in this years playoffs, you swap a guy like Kucherov with Ovechkin and Carlson with Doughty and they're in the finals. Roughly same cap space spent on both duos.

The Caps core just isn't good enough. Simple as that.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
How'd the Caps get Ovechkin and Backstrom again? My memory is a little hazy.

Plus the only reason they had worse odds to get a generational center in that league wide lottery draft Pittsburgh "abused", was that their odds got weighted down due to having picked 1st the year before (where they left a generational center on the board for Pittsburgh). They actually tanked harder, but then were just really bad at that. Hawks, Caps and Oilers fans crying about Pens tanking are the worst.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Three more wins in this series?

I am the furthest thing from a Caps fan, but this series is not over yet.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
This year failure because of

1) Holtby
2) The bottom 6, again. 3 goals (all wilson's against toronto) in 10 games.
3) The D not Jennings level anymore

And only then you can blame the top guys.

This.

This is the only reason why the Penguins are winning. Remember a few years ago prior to last when the Penguins had no third or fourth line? They got bounced in the first round. Fleury is also playing amazing, and the team is completely focused and working together. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Three more wins in this series?

I am the furthest thing from a Caps fan, but this series is not over yet.

No, but even without Crosby I like PITs odds at winning 1 out of 3. If WSH can win the next two, then things could certainly change, but lets cross that bridge when we get there.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
well first thing you need to do is be like pittsburgh and abuse the draft for about 4 years straight until you land your generational center...

...then win a few cups and act all cocky.

that's how things work in today's nhl

except that's no longer possible so I guess wait for parity to settle in and prey your team doesn't get injured.

They already did that once and failed. :laugh: For four years even. :laugh: It landed them Ovie, Backstrom (there's that generational center) and Alzner at least, but now these guys arent getting it done. But if at first you dont succeed, try (cry) again.

But seriously, dont cry. I'll be preying for you.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
consistency from Holtby in the playoffs... so far he's been really average in the playoffs, whether it was TOR or PIT

They have had a top Holtby before.

I would say it's depth presence and depth scoring. It just seem to only come in short spurts now and then.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sounds corny but they need an identity.

Right now they are a jack-of-all-trades kind of team: good at everything but great at nothing.

Odinson

Jan 29, 2011
Nothing, they will come back against the Pens and win the cup this year. I will believe this until they are out.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I have no idea. I feel like they have thoroughly dominated Pittsburgh but can't seem to score. If you look at numbers, scoring chances, possesion, Toronto played much better than Pittsburgh is currently playing through four games but Fleury has been an absolute monster.

Capitals are getting Halak'd better than Halak Halak'd them.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Not sure. They have the talent and experience. Just a matter of executing and putting together complete 60 minute efforts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad