What do isles fans drive?

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
There’s always wiggle room on every vehicle, always.

Between dealer prep, holdback and cash offers from the Manufacturer - in ADDITION to current incentives.

If you have your heart set on Ford (I have an F150) - call Ford Marketing and inquire about private cash offers for yourself. Sign up for a brochure. It’ll take time, but you could receive up to a $3500 PCO - I have a few times.

Dealerships HAVE TO HONOR this in addition to whatever incentives you’re eligible for, if that particular dealership claims no, go somewhere else. There’s a program called Smart Vincent the Ford dealers use, have them check this.

Never be afraid to walk away and have them go up against one another for their business.

You’re not there to make friends, never forget that.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Tip many people aren't aware of...

Enterprise (the rental car place) sells their cars when they are just about out of warranty.

Enterprise Car Sales – Buy. Sell. Trade. Enterprise makes it easy.™

They are typically about a year old and have 30K-ish on them. People freak out about it, but they only sell the best of their fleet, the beat up crap is auctioned off. The prices are cheap (no haggle), most of them still have some factory warranty left on them, and they come with a 12 month extended warranty. The best part, if you have a trade in they will give you above KBB value if you finance it through them. I had a 2001 Tahoe with a tired engine and they gave me $6k for it in trade. I was about to post in on craigslist for 5K or best offer, hoping to get 4 for it.

If they have a car in a different state, they will ship it to your closest dealer.

Reactions: periferal

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I have a 2000 B.C. Footmobile.
Bought it from a guy named Jack.

article-2017721-0D1DEF0400000578-126_634x375.jpg

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
2006 Mazda 3 with 130,000 miles on it. A hooptie. Small enough to fit in a lot of parking spots on the streets near Barclays Center that SUVs have to pass up.

Apparently I’ll have to get 2-3 more years out of that car until we’re out of Barclays. The day we are finished in Brooklyn I go to the Audi dealer and buy myself a new A5. :yo:
2008 Mazda 2 here, I could park it in your trunk. Just reached 100 000km.

Reactions: MJF

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Reliability is key for me.

2006 Honda Pilot: 250K miles
2011 Honda Pilot: 150K miles
Those are with my kids now.

Just closed on a 2019 Pilot.
Notice a trend.

All bought from different local dealers.
I generally get email quotes from 6 local dealerships and visit one or two of them. Many but not all will negotiate without walking in.

I completely agree with other comments in that you should always be willing to walk away. Both you and the dealer need to know that.

It's uncomfortable for many buyers but always worth the effort.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Enterprise (the rental car place) sells their cars when they are just about out of warranty.

They are typically about a year old and have 30K-ish on them. People freak out about it, but they only sell the best of their fleet, the beat up crap is auctioned off. The prices are cheap (no haggle), most of them still have some factory warranty left on them, and they come with a 12 month extended warranty. The best part, if you have a trade in they will give you above KBB value if you finance it through them. I had a 2001 Tahoe with a tired engine and they gave me $6k for it in trade. I was about to post in on craigslist for 5K or best offer, hoping to get 4 for it.

If they have a car in a different state, they will ship it to your closest dealer.
Interesting. My wife drives about 2k miles a year. I have an idea about getting her a 1 year old high mileage car, then selling it a few years later as a low mileage car, figuring I'll sell for not much less than I paid. Never thought about the rental companies as a source. Have to look into this.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Interesting. My wife drives about 2k miles a year. I have an idea about getting her a 1 year old high mileage car, then selling it a few years later as a low mileage car, figuring I'll sell for not much less than I paid. Never thought about the rental companies as a source. Have to look into this.

I bought my 2014 Corolla LE from Hempstead enterprise, the sticker price was lower then the original 14,500 when we sat down to talk about insurance. I would suggest it. No haggle whatsoever. Car had 30K miles on it.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
2017 Jeep Cherokee 75th edition. It's ok, does it's job. Very boring SUV to drive.

The wife has a 2019 Mazda CX-5. This is her second Mazda. Have to say I've been very impressed with the CX-5 line.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

I've owned three this way, and since I don't put on many miles after about 3 years the mileage is about right. The Tahoe was actually an Enterprise car and I drove it over 120K miles (bought it with 30K) without a problem until I drove it through high water and hydrolocked the engine. Many of the high end cars the have aren't even rentals, they were corporate cars so they were really taken good care of. The Camaro was a corporate car.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
There’s always wiggle room on every vehicle, always.

Between dealer prep, holdback and cash offers from the Manufacturer - in ADDITION to current incentives.

If you have your heart set on Ford (I have an F150) - call Ford Marketing and inquire about private cash offers for yourself. Sign up for a brochure. It’ll take time, but you could receive up to a $3500 PCO - I have a few times.

Dealerships HAVE TO HONOR this in addition to whatever incentives you’re eligible for, if that particular dealership claims no, go somewhere else. There’s a program called Smart Vincent the Ford dealers use, have them check this.

Never be afraid to walk away and have them go up against one another for their business.

You’re not there to make friends, never forget that.
Adding to this: if you’re looking for a Ford and have a BJs membership, go here and get a pin for X-plan which is haggle free supplier pricing. You’ll get the car for under invoice.
Dealer Search - BJs Auto

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD w/6 speed. I bought it CPO three years ago with only 13k miles on it for a really good price and a great financing deal (the manual transmission is a necessity for me and probably a deal-breaker for a lot of other people :thumbu:).

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
BTW, I once heard about and tried the following trick when buying a new car, and it worked out great (15-20 years ago though):

Call a dealership a few days or a week before the end of a month and ask for the "Fleet Manager". Tell him/her the EXACT car (color, interior, options) you are looking for and ask if they have it. If they have it, tell them you will buy it for $xxxxx price. I did that once (determined a good but fair offer price via online resources like Edmunds) and got a positive response and basically "bought" the car in a 3 minute phone conversation. The idea is that the Fleet Manager is responsible for the inventory and is motivated to move cars out, especially near the end of the month. And they're not worried about commissions, etc..

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

I would never by a pre-owned rental, solely based on the way I drive them.

Been a Honda guy my whole life. Preludes, Accords, CRVs and Tl's. Currently, 13 Accord Manual. Yes, they still make them, and yes, they are awesome.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Bones, FWIW you just went up a notch in my estimation.

[Honda makes great MTs too. I have an Acura TL MT now and had an '06 Civic SI MT before that. Great shifters.]

I'm glad I have gained points, although I'm wondering how I would have lost them to begin with!

All my Accords and Preludes were manual. While Honda doesn't excel at everything (style and paint immediately come to mind), their gearboxes and clutches are fantastic. I think this will be my last manual. Been driving them almost exclusively since the mid 90's.

Think I may go for a pre-owned Legacy or Maxima next.

Maybe.

Reactions: doublechili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad