What do isles fans drive?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
i bought an Explorer xlt 5.0 awd new back in 2000. As much as it hurts it's time to move on . I went to my local Ford dealer and my salesman was about 22 and spent every second we were together texting other " clients" he said. Test drove the Edge and he never looked up from his phone. He would not even take $1 off the prices . He said well with the Internet we have to give our best price up front. I am old school . I got almost $6,000 off the sticker on my Explorer . My other car is an Odyssey. I got $4,000 off the sticker. I just feel like there is no way I can pay his price. Then he added all kinds of fees . I think one was a Trump Build The Wall Fee but I can't remember. I left and promised to return but have not.
What do y'all drive , where did you buy it from , any good experiences to share , maybe a recommendation , I'm all ears . Thanks in advance from an old school Long Islander. No I don't have a flip phone .

LGI

Reactions: bigtim1988

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
A wonderful 07 Sante Fe given to me from my parents for college (they used to drive it). I am hoping it can last me the next two years until me and the girlfriend move, probably need to get a truck or something though.

At this point I am so used to driving higher up from the ground I could never go for a car.

Reactions: Play

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I loved that gen Explorer, esp with the 5.0, when they first came out, but as the years wore on, they started to get long-in-the-tooth, passed on to other owners, I started to dislike them.

Idk if the dealers “haggle” anymore, I’ve tried to get them to knock down the price, but they really don’t budge. Maybe they knock off their stupid-ass “dealer prep” fee, but that’s about it.

I drive a 2012 VW Jetta GLI, that I bought in 2015 as a “certified pre-owned” from Riverhead bay Motors. I basically let the dealer have their way with me, because it was the first car I ever financed, and they pulled this bs like “ well if you don’t get the extended warranty, the loan will be 10%, but if you get the extended warranty, it will be 6.99%”....I only had like 2 years of cred built up and it was good, but just never had any large loans......I let them “screw “ me with the extended warranty, but it actually came in handy a few times. Love the car, so i didn’t care too much about the bs

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. Been a lifesaver for me on multiple occasions. Totally understand pickups aren't practical for everyone, but for my family it works really well.

Hope to do well enough to upgrade to a Sierra next go around.

Reactions: bigtim1988

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I negotiate for a living (not cars), and recently leased a new car. To me it all comes down to this...

How willing are you to walk away?

In almost any area of life, from cars to even women, the more you don't care about the outcome the more likely you are to get it.

@Sparksrus3 - In regards to your specific situation, I would have sized up that joke of a "salesman" and demanded another immediately. Get the manager involved right away (especially since most salespeople have to ask them to negotiate anything anyway). If they won't give you another salesman or the manager is also a twit...BAM - I'm gone and will never return. I'd sooner drive 20 miles to the next dealership of the car I want then lease/buy from one across the street if the customer service rubs me the wrong way.

In that way I am willing to walk away before I even walk in, and even though I get very annoyed with most people I have to deal with, at the end of the day I almost always feel good about the deal I wind up with.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Best time to buy new from the dealer is toward the end of the year when the next model year is coming out (September). They're desperate to move inventory to make room for new stuff. If you're going with any Ford with the 3.5 or 3.7 get the extended warranty (Premium care), especially with the AWD.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
There’s not really much room for negotiations with new vehicles. Some, but not much. Used obviously a different story.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I used to be the guy who would just get a cheap car to get to work and school and back. I had a 93 run down Camaro and it was a total crapper and had no AC which made me contemplate life many times. I had a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant, which was filled with water many times( previous owner, bought off craigslist) and the engine blew up (yup smoke show) while I was driving. I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee which was actually a good car but I got it with 300K miles on it for free and it actually lasted two years. I’ve had tires actually fall off while driving on southern state twice, near accidents and etc. I had enough. Fast forward and I leased a 2017 Lexus ES 350 and I couldn’t be more happier. Well, I could be. If it wasn’t for my damn high monthly payments but oh well. It’s nice driving a car where I don’t have to worry about death every time I turn the car on.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
2006 Mazda 3 with 130,000 miles on it. A hooptie. Small enough to fit in a lot of parking spots on the streets near Barclays Center that SUVs have to pass up.

Apparently I’ll have to get 2-3 more years out of that car until we’re out of Barclays. The day we are finished in Brooklyn I go to the Audi dealer and buy myself a new A5. :yo:

Reactions: Montsaint

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
2017 Kia Soul. I went to True Car, looked at the lowest price reportedly paid on their histogram curve, waited to the last three days of the month, and then emailed four dealers telling them that another dealer came in at the price I saw on True Car (but I didn't mention True Car), and if they beat that price, I'd buy it from them. On the last day of the month, one dealer bit. I had to drive 100 miles to get it, but it was worth it. I love the Soul, but now I want the turbo version, which, new, is too expensive for my taste. Maybe I'll get a used one.

Reactions: dood

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
2010 Ford Focus with 150k miles on it. Looking at getting a 2018 Santa Fe Sport in the next year or so from Enterprise. No haggle pricing, I'll get a loan beforehand so I don't get ripped off, and I get a friends and family discount. I also refuse to take out a loan for longer than 36 months for a car. Can't think of a reason not to do it.

Reactions: Montsaint

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ummmmmm....
FB_IMG_1553380009940.jpg

Yeah. #IslesWhiteYesUV

Honky is a generational automobile!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I negotiate for a living (not cars), and recently leased a new car. To me it all comes down to this...

How willing are you to walk away?

In almost any area of life, from cars to even women, the more you don't care about the outcome the more likely you are to get it.

@Sparksrus3 - In regards to your specific situation, I would have sized up that joke of a "salesman" and demanded another immediately. Get the manager involved right away (especially since most salespeople have to ask them to negotiate anything anyway). If they won't give you another salesman or the manager is also a twit...BAM - I'm gone and will never return. I'd sooner drive 20 miles to the next dealership of the car I want then lease/buy from one across the street if the customer service rubs me the wrong way.

In that way I am willing to walk away before I even walk in, and even though I get very annoyed with most people I have to deal with, at the end of the day I almost always feel good about the deal I wind up with.

Thank you for your post .

I walked out of Hempstead Ford at least 5 times in the month before I bought the car . Then strategically ( I guess ) I went in at dinner time on the Wed night before Thanksgiving and told my salesman , who by now knew me by name , that since my car is still in the lot we are making a deal tonight or Friday I will be buying a Durango. The GM sat with us since the place was empty , I put 20k cash on the table and the GM wrote down a number $3000 less than my previous best price . Went from 32k sticker to just under 26k . Good deal or not I walked away feeling good.
With the Odyssey the dumbass salesman at Honda City did not have the model / color I wanted in the lot but did have lots of sports trophys in his office from high school . He said the car I wanted was in storage in Bethpage and I should com back on Saturday and he would have it for me to see. . I went back on Saturday and he said he would get it there for Sunday . I told him I would be back first thing Sunday. So first thing Sunday morning , 15 minutes before they opened , I was walking around the lot at Babylon Honda . They had the model / color my wife wanted . The first salesman that came to work that day had a sale before he even finished his coffee. After I almost got my price of course. He finally wrote it at 4K less than the sticker. So yes walking away is a good thing . However with 4 kids there is something I can't walk away from . I'd be living in a box on the corner .
This kid at the Ford dealer last week just seemed disinterested and that's why I left. he even showed me his Mustang that he was leasing . Dumbazz.

LGI

Reactions: periferal

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I have an Audi A4. It's nearing its life-cycle though since there's a water pump leak and it needs a new rear-main seal. I don't wanna buy a new car because I rarely drive, so the expense isn't worth the utility.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
loyal to honda since I started driving in the mid 80's except for a two year stint with toyota.

there are some other mid size suv's that catch my eye style wise (rav 4 , kia sportage, etc) but my sales rep at honda always gives me a good deal so its easy to stay loyal and at my age I'm not in the mood to make a new relationship with a different brand .

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This is one of the more fascinating listens - doubly so if you are in the market for a car. This American Life follows salesman at a car dealership and gives you the behind the scenes of what goes on.
129 Cars - This American Life

Net/net....all dealers have to hit a monthly quota. If at the end of the month they aren’t there yet, they may end up taking a loss in order to hit their quota and qualify for bonus from the manufacturer which will more than offset that loss.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
2010 Rav 4. I bought it in 2013 as a certified preowned vehicle. I got a fair deal on it and have not had any issues with it other than routine maintenance.

Last edited:

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
I have an 09 Hummer H3T, which is on the shortlist of best purchases I've ever made. 185k miles, virtually zero mechanical problems. It's probably the slowest car ever made, but buying a Hummer pickup truck and complaining about how slow it is is sort of like buying a Corvette and complaining that you can't off-road it.

My other car is an 09 MINI Cooper S John Cooper Works edition. It's sort of like a very attractive, high maintenance girlfriend. Lots of fun to show off and drive, but once in a while you wake up and the whole dashboard is lit up and nobody knows why or how to fix it.

If anyone's looking for a used car, one of my best friends owns a small lot in Wyandanch and does order purchases through the dealer auctions. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you his info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad