What decision has your team made that you just cant forgive them for

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Trading Seguin. Crap move from minute 1 and everyone knew it. Mortgaging the future for one more Cup (which resulted in a President's Trophy instead), masking it with a "...but, but he partied a lot... That's not good...". Reckless and far, far beyond stupid.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Wild hasn't done anything I can't forgive. I love my team and look forward to the future. #wholesomehfwild

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Most recently, drafting Pouliot over Forsberg or Trouba. The draft was held in Pittsburgh, and you could hear the entire crowd groan in disappointment after Shero made his choice. They were all proven right.

Also not firing Bylsma after the Philly series debacle. That cost our core two years of their prime. The silver lining was that Shero so stubbornly refused canning Bylsma that he got booted too, making way for Jim Rutherford.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Hawks fan here. 3 cups since 2010 helped me get over a lot of crap I had to endure from 1997-2007. The one thing that still gets me though is the Chelios trade to Detroit. Our hometown hero got traded to our archrival for less than nothing and plays another decade winning 2 cups in the process. He is more Red Wing than Blackhawk now.

He is more Red Wing than Blackhawk...and more Blackhawk than Hab. Montreal burns over this trade. They got like 3 years out of Savard, and combined teams got 24 seasons out of Chelios.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Islanders

Everything done under Miek Milbury.

For starters, firing Peter Laviolette after he brought Isles to the playoffs in his first (and only) 2 seasons with the Isles after a 7 year drought.

Trading a 24 year old Chara and the 2nd overall that would have been Jason Spezza for Alexei Yashin whos cored just 119 goals in 346 games with us (28.2 g/82) while averaging 38 g/82 the 4 years prior. Paid him 87.5 million over the next 14 years (only 6 spent playing for us.)

Also traded a young Luongo (future HOFer) and Olli Jokinen (long time 2C, 1C in prime) for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha.

As bad as most Isles fans thing Garf Snow is, Milbury takes all of the cakes here.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Hawks fan here. 3 cups since 2010 helped me get over a lot of crap I had to endure from 1997-2007. The one thing that still gets me though is the Chelios trade to Detroit. Our hometown hero got traded to our archrival for less than nothing and plays another decade winning 2 cups in the process. He is more Red Wing than Blackhawk now.
2 First Rounders & Anders Eriksson...come on...he had 5 goals and 36 assists in 3 seasons for the Hawks ;)

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Not signing Messier in 97. Trading Leetch. More recently, not signing Stralman, not finding a way to keep Hagelin.

Trading a young Sergei Zubov was disgusting.

Messier helped them win the Cup, but he did a lot of damage in his NYC stay.

Apparently he told Neil Smith to move Zubov.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Hell, the Rangers gave up a 1st rounder to Quebec for coaching great Michel Bergeron. (sarcasm)

That pick turned out to be Joe Sakic...

F'in brutal

Gaud

May 11, 2017
He is more Red Wing than Blackhawk...and more Blackhawk than Hab. Montreal burns over this trade. They got like 3 years out of Savard, and combined teams got 24 seasons out of Chelios.

He was traded because he fought two cops the day before

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Allowing Messier to walk all over the team and create a super dark period of Canuck history in the late 90's

Also Burke having to tie his wagon to Cloutier during the WCE era with Jovo, Salo, Sopel, and Ohlund on the back end. That was a cup winning team with a competent goaltender, but the owner didn't want to cough up the dough

Last edited:

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I know I'm in the minority of Devils fans here but for me it's Lou signing Parise to a 1 year deal as an RFA taking him to UFA. Some will say cup run but I still say that if Lou had traded him before the cup run season even started we could have gotten a very nice package for him (especially from Minny).

I also find it hard to forgive Lou for not giving up the first round pick as a penalty for the Kovy contract. Actually, I know it's not completely on Lou, but trying to pass that 17 year contract when he was told not to was stupid too.

Other than that, Lou was great. One of the best GMs in the 90's.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sabres fan...not that the team actually did anything wrong but losing every significant lottery we've been a part of since Perreault really burns. Had the same chance as Pittsburgh for Crosby, ended up with #13 overall (somehow, considering we had three balls in the hopper) and Marek Zagrapan who never set foot on NHL ice. Best chance at winning the lottery in 2014 and 2015, ended up #2 overall both times. Lottery team in 2016 and 2017, stayed the same in '16 and moved down in '17 as Dallas leapfrogged us.

More of a gripe against lady luck than anything else, it'd be nice to get lucky for once in our lives.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Allowing Messier to walk all over the team and create a super dark period of Canuck history in the late 90's

Also Burke having to tie his wagon to Cloutier during the WCE era with Jovo, Salo, Sopel, and Ohlund on the back end. That was a cup winning team with a competent goaltender, but the owner didn't want to cough up the dough

To this day, Brian Burke has rarely had competent goaltending on his teams (Nucks, Leafs and Flames)....incredible really (Ducks already had a great goalie in Giguerre)

for the Oilers its obvious...Gretzky sale

but more recently:

-Lowe getting peanuts for Pronger...set the franchise back years
-Lowe hiring Tambo
-Lowe hiring unqualified buddy MacT

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Leaving out Jets 1.0.....I am not sure.

Lots of people really hated that we gave up assets to move up and draft Logan Stanley but that's still not a guaranteed bad move.

Actually, I guess not bringing back Stempniak. He said he really enjoyed playing in Winnipeg and wanted to re-sign. All we needed to do was offer a cheap contract and we would have had his services for another year. Instead, we let him walk and put up 41 points in 63 games with New Jersey.

Letting pavlec ride out his contract leaving the jets stuck with mediocre to poor goaltending

Logan Stanley( if he becomes a top 4 d then great)

And letting tlsuty and stempniak go

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well all time is pretty easy, trading Gretzky.

Of a more recent regime the awful awful Griffin Reinhart trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The biggest one to me isn't an on or off ice personnel thing, it was Kevin Lowe's "tiered fans" comments. Lost all respect for the man over that press conference. I will always be an Oilers fan, but once he said that, I was hoping we would lose so he wouldn't be in charge of building the team anymore.

If I had to choose a personnel issue, it would be between firing Ralph Kruger (regardless of who we replaced him with - which just made it worse), and bungling the Comrie trade by asking him to pay back some of his signing bonus. Prevented us from completing a trade for Corey Perry with Anaheim instead of getting Jeff Woywikta and some picks in an era when we couldn't draft a solid player to save our lives.

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
Acquiring Phil Kessel for two 1st round picks. As much as I love the guy, it was a huge setback for a Leafs team that should have been rebuilding.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well all time is pretty easy, trading Gretzky.

Of a more recent regime the awful awful Griffin Reinhart trade.

The Gretzky one hurts, but the economics of it are legit - we couldn't afford him. They didn't get close to fair value back (how can you get fair value for the Greatest of All Time), but I have resigned myself to the fact that the Oilers couldn't afford him. Still sucks, but I can't blame the team for making a move that had to be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad