What decision has your team made that you just cant forgive them for

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One that has always stuck out for me was Scotty Bowman dealing Alan Haworth and a third to the Caps for a 2nd and a 4th... and the assurance that the Caps wouldn't take Phil Housley at #6 OA. The Caps wanted Scott Stevens -- who they took -- and got a useful 20-goal checking line guy from Buffalo for it.

Another Bowman gem, dealing McKegney, JF Sauve, and Andre Savard to the Nordique for Real Cloutier and a first round pick so he could show Cloutier up. Bowman reportedly hated that Cloutier had turned down going to the Bowman-coached Habs and ran him out of hockey in less than a season, all the while opening up a hole on LW that it seems has never, ever been filled in Buffalo.

Or how about drafting Jiri Dudacek 17 OA in '81 when the guy had never said he wanted to come over to NA to play. Bowman's ego vs. the Czechoslovakian government... and his ego lost.

Or Bowman dealing Rick Martin to the Kings and having team doctors lie to Martin and the Kings about the severity of Martin's knee injury? He plays on it, damaging it more, ending his career.

Ray Sheppard on waivers to the Rangers, post-severe ankle sprain. Transfer cost, $1.

Pissing off Hasek by nickle-and-diming Peca in the fall of 2000 and then not using him to acquire anything to help the team. Peca in the lineup probably makes the series with the Pens all that much closer, perhaps even tipping it in Buffalo's favor. Instead, Hasek feels the team isn't committed to winning (they weren't) and demands a trade that he gets to review to make sure it doesn't hurt his new team too much. The Blues offer he feels is too much, instead insists that it be the Wings who ship over an automatically disgruntled Slava Kozlov and what was announced at the time as a 1st and a conditional first. Hasek is so pissed off, he retires, screwing the Sabres out of the conditional pick.

Not offering Danny Briere more than 3 years in '06. Instead they held firm to 3, wouldn't budge to 5 that Briere asked for nor even the 4 that Briere himself said he would have signed. Instead, they put their eggs in one basket with Drury who they don't negotiate with in good faith all season and then walks after a lack of communication. Co-caps both gone.

There are more... those are the ones that cause my blood pressure to go up immediately without thought.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
trading a first round pick for Steve Eminger. That pick was obviously John Carlson.

trading Rod Brind'Amour when Clarke wanted to trade Lindros but Snider squashed the Lindros trade. The circumstances are up for debate what really happened between Lindros and Brind'Amour, but yeah I was pretty ticked off for quite awhile.

trading for the pile of ******* Billy Tibbetts

giving Andrew MacDonald 5 million per over 5 years.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wild , current gmcf the leddy trade to hawks. we traded kim johsson & leddy for cam barker. i cant get over it. prior mgmt never spent to cap that i can remember , the naegle group & gmdr only cared about profit.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Hmm...where do I begin: :facepalm:

-Letting Ken Holland stay as GM, rather than prevent Yzerman from going to Tampa

-Keeping Franzen over Hossa

-Nobody addressing the Defense until after Nick & Rafalski retired

-Allowing Dan Cleary to see the ice at all

-Signing veteran free agents that took away ice time from the kids

-Putting a meaningless playoff streak ahead of a much needed rebuild since 2012.

-Reacquiring Kyle Quincey for a 1st rounder

-Uwe Krupp, Derian Hatcher, Stephen Weiss, Ray Whitney, signings.

There's just too many...

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Where do I ****ing begin?

-Traded Brian Leetch
-Signed Dan Girardi
-Signed Marc Staal
-Let Stralman walk
-Traded Brassard
-Completely farted on the Hagelin situation
-Completely farted on the Talbot situation
-First round 2010
-First round 2003
-First round 1998
-Traded a ransom for Yandle just to let him walk
-Let Jagr go to the KHL
-Let Messier walk to sign Sakic and then proceeded to not sign Sakic

Oh and they ****ing cut Gordie Howe as an invitee trading camp. THEY CUT GORDIE HOWE.

**** this team.

pretty sure howe left on his own as he was homesick. an 18 year old kid from saskatchewan in the big city of new york.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My favorite team employed Billy Tibbetts once upon a time, so that's up there...but the big one is the Naslund for Stojanov deal. It was a trade that everybody knew the Penguins would lose at the time, it was just a matter of by how much...Naslund went from a 0.79 PPG third liner to being one of the best offensive players of his era in Vancouver, meanwhile Stojanov continued to be completely and utterly useless in the remaining 45 games of his NHL career.

A lot of the maddening stuff of the past decade is oddly turning out well, but Naslund was dealt one-for-one for a guy who scored 2 career NHL goals.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Among others, it would be Bryan. Murray trading for Comrie and Campoli at the 2009 deadline.

Not only did he give up another 1st round pick we had, but that trade made the team go on a pointless win streak that ****ed up their draft position.

Sens could have drafted OEL instead of Cowen...

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Hiring Linden, Benning... there is just nothing right and no whatsoever competency with this group...They even managed to screw up the draft...How the heck do u not pick Tkachuk?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
trading away patrick sharp for hot garbage + a 3rd
flyers may have won a cup if that trade wasn't made

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Among others, it would be Bryan. Murray trading for Comrie and Campoli at the 2009 deadline.

Not only did he give up another 1st round pick we had, but that trade made the team go on a pointless win streak that ****ed up their draft position.

Sens could have drafted OEL instead of Cowen...

This. I was dumbfounded that we still tried to contend even though we were out of it. The 2009 draft had a very deep top 6.

I could easily say Redden over Chara or Daigle over Pronger, but that would just be revisionist history. Those were pretty obvious choices at the time.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Reinhart trade sucked the moment they announced and it still sucks.

Don't know if i'd call it "unforgivable", but it would be really nice to have two of Barzal/Chabot/Eriksson Ek/White/Samsonov and Carlo/Aho in our prospect pool right now. You never know who they would have picked but still

Last edited:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Trading 2 1st's for Kessel. Still loved what Kessel did with the Leafs but damn, Seguiin and Hamilton in Blue and White? shivers.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
neely was unforgiveable

signing messier was unforgiveable

failing to face reality after 2011 and make major changes was understandable, but still a denial of the obvious

not re-signing larionov in 1992 just to spite the russians cost us a great centre, some bure development curve and may have cost us a cup.

letting willie mitchell walk likely cost us another cup.

of a lesser caliber is letting hamhuis walk unsigned recently. it made no sense. superficially they had made multiple moves that meant there was no place for him but they should never have put themselves in that spot.

My choice would be the failure to re-sign Willie. Cost us a Cup IMHO. As a sidebar making Luongo captain instead of Willie was asinine (and Willie was our de facto captain anyways).

IIRC Larionov refused to re-sign with us since it would have activated a clause that would have paid the Soviet hockey folks $200,000 which he found intolerable. Strangely if he signed with anybody else the clause didn't apply.

I wasn't a big fan of the Messier signing either but the hate he gets from Canuck fans (and it really is a white hot hatred) is ridiculous. He got 60 points for us as a 36 year old. Daniel got 44 points and Henrik 51 this year at the same age and I don't hear anything but praise for them.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
When he finally passes (hopefully peacefully, of natural causes obviously), the term and money on that Seabrook contract should be carved into Stan Bowman's tombstone.

Last edited:

Rockettrudel

Jun 21, 2010
1. As a habs fan i saw Claude Giroux destroy my Quebec Remparts team in 05-06 ( memorial cup winner) in a season game with like 2 goals 3 assist and i knew we should have drafted him over David ****ing Fisher !

2. Trading Mcdonah for Gomez

3. Trading Subban

4. Let Souray Walk when he had good value for a nice package

5. We should have trade Markov like 2 years ago

6 . The ****ing habs management suck they manage so ****ing bad our defence and they cant find a number one center since Damphousse

In before they trade Sergatchev and he becomes an elite no.1 D

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings trading a 26 year old Mike Cammalleri who had 80 points the year before + another first to move up and get the guy they wanted. Not Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers or John Carlson but Colten Tuebert who wasn't even tendered a 2nd contract and is playing in Germany.

McSorely/McEachern disaster where the Kings traded McSorely to Pittsburgh for McEachern, and then later that season reversed the trade but had to throw in Sandstrom (oh we also got Jim Paek!), the Kings essentially gave Sandstrom away.

Mike Richards, nothing more needs to be said. A complete disaster from the GM down to the scouts to the coaches.

Trading the greatest player of all time and the most productive asset they got back was Craig Johnson. Used the Blues first in 97 to draft Matt Zultek who never played a game in the NHL.

Larry Murphy for Brian Engblom. Murphy was an all-star for the next 2 decades and Engblom was an average TV analyst.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Kings trading a 26 year old Mike Cammalleri who had 80 points the year before + another first to move up and get the guy they wanted. Not Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers or John Carlson but Colten Tuebert who wasn't even tendered a 2nd contract and is playing in Germany.

McSorely/McEachern disaster where the Kings traded McSorely to Pittsburgh for McEachern, and then later that season reversed the trade but had to throw in Sandstrom (oh we also got Jim Paek!), the Kings essentially gave Sandstrom away.

Mike Richards, nothing more needs to be said. A complete disaster from the GM down to the scouts to the coaches.

Trading the greatest player of all time and the most productive asset they got back was Craig Johnson. Used the Blues first in 97 to draft Matt Zultek who never played a game in the NHL.

Larry Murphy for Brian Engblom. Murphy was an all-star for the next 2 decades and Engblom was an average TV analyst.

That made me laugh much harder than it should have.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Between 1988 and 1993 the Kings drafted four defenseman who would all play 1000+ games in the NHL, at an all-star level, one being a Hall of Famer.

Alex Zhitnik traded to Buffalo for coked out Grant Fuhr, Phillipe Boucher and Denis Tysugurov. Fuhr was an embarrassment and Boucher took about 7 years to finally become useful and immediately left as an UFA. Zhitnik played the next decade for the Sabres and was their best defenseman during the Hasek years.

Darryl Sydor traded to Dallas for two slugs Doug Zmolek and Shane Churla. Zmolek's puck skills looked like he was playing with a 9 iron and he made Hal Gill look like Pavel Bure. Churla was just a bad goon.

Kimmo Timonen traded to Nashville so the Predators would draft the Kings 3rd string goalie Freddie Chabot, so the Kings wouldn't have to worry about losing Jamie Storr or Stephane Feces to either Atlanta or Columbus. Timonen played 1100 games. Could have been worse too, the Kings included Jan Vopat in that deal, and he was on his way to being a quality 3rd pairing defender before he came down with a skin condition that forced him to retire.

The fourth was Blake, the Kings clearly got a ton of use out of Blake so he really isn't a waste like the other guys. The Kings really got unlucky with Deadmarsh's career ending injury but we screwed up this deal, had an option of any Avs prospect not named Nederost and chose Aulin who was more interested in banging celebs than being a hockey player. And butchered the two 1st round picks.

It really is amazing reading this thread how awful some teams ended up.

Post Gretzky Kings in the mid to late 90's.
Hawks post Roenick
Penguins post Jagr before Crosby (forgot about the joke Tibbetts)
Avalanche right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad