What decision has your team made that you just cant forgive them for

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Pens trading Naslund to Vancouver. I knew it was a monumental mistake at the time.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I'm pushing 40 and nothing stlll irks me more for the Habs than trading Chelios for Savard. Nothing. Even the Roy trade. Getting agitated now typing this even. Lol.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not drafting Kopitar. What could have been with a Nash-Kopitar-Vyborny/Whitney line.
Also not resigning Whitney is up there too

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Idk about "can't forgive them for" but some little things that pissed me off
Abdelkader contract
Helm contract
Naming the new arena little Caesars arena (and making everything orange and black when the pistons and red wings are both red/white)
-note LCA isn't finished yet so it still could look bad ass

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
neely was unforgiveable

signing messier was unforgiveable

failing to face reality after 2011 and make major changes was understandable, but still a denial of the obvious

not re-signing larionov in 1992 just to spite the russians cost us a great centre, some bure development curve and may have cost us a cup.

letting willie mitchell walk likely cost us another cup.

of a lesser caliber is letting hamhuis walk unsigned recently. it made no sense. superficially they had made multiple moves that meant there was no place for him but they should never have put themselves in that spot.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
That's on my list too as Bruins coach. But the Orr trade stands alone. Mike O'Connell as GM was a debacle too. (Realized you may be an Isles fan. You have my sympathy.)

You have to look at the circumstances on this one though. Alan Eagleson neglected to tell Orr that along with his salary the Bruins were offering 10% ownership of the team so Orr didn't sign so they traded him. I can forgive them pretty damn easily and Orr was my favorite player.

The one I just can't get over is not one of the high profile ones, it is Johnny Boychuk. That immediately sent the team into a tailspin and the thinking the Seidenberg would be able to have that kind of impact after two years of sub par play was just stupid on Chiarelli's part. When Chiarelli was good, he was good but this was bad and he was the worst drafting GM I can rember, even Mike Milbury was better at the draft than Chiarelli.

BUCC4N33R

May 17, 2014
New Zealand
Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov

Jaromir Jagr for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek, Ross Lupaschuk

Simon Despres for Ben Lovejoy

Alexei Kovalev for Rico Fata, Joel Bouchard, Richard Linter, Mikel Samuelsson

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Not re-signing Briere or Drury AND matching the Edmonton offer sheet for Vanek.

That entire off season was the worst sequence of events I remember since '75 when I was old enough to know what hockey was.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Wasn't alive for it and every real trade between '88-'91 pretty much pisses me off. The amount of talent that slipped past the Leafs is unreal.

As a hockey fan born in '91 whos first real memories were probably the 99 playoffs, I'd have to probably say the one major thing that irked me most was the Leafs 2013 Offseason. I didn't know **** about Rask, so I didn't really have any attachment when he was traded, 2003 wasn't a thing yet so you couldn't be mad when you were loading up on hall of famers like it was NHL2003, Kessel, while a bad trade, didn't really bother me since he was good but the team was bad and he always seemed like a genuinely good guy you wanted to root for.

I was never a big big Sundin fan, so the way he left didn't bother me, but the trade rumors about Kaberle always made me wish they pulled off one of those rumored Carter-for-Kaberle swaps.

That said, the 2013 Offseason kicked off in heartbreak, and I wanted so bad for the Leafs to fire Carlyle, I blamed him for everything, the complete blunder that was the third period rested on the shoulders of the man who is supposed to be playoff tested. They retained him, then the Luongo rumors started, and I thought it'd be great because finally the Leafs starting goaltender woes would be over. Then we got Bernier, who never really demonstrated he could outperform Reimer, who had kept us in that 7 game series, in a bad deal and signed him to a worse contract. Then Grabovski, the one guy who seemed to always play with his heart on his sleeve, the guy that everybody in TOronto pretty much loved (and in retrospect would've been a good triggerman on a Marner line), gets complianced, despite being arguably the best center the Leafs had at that point, while Liles sat on the third pairing like a bum. Lupul still had good trade value, only being one season behind his all star appearence. And then they sign Clarkson, and you get a little optimistic that the guy who only Ovechkin outshot, would be able to be like a discount Lucic, and that goes to ****.

The whole offseason just seemed to be stupid move after stupid move, treading water and setting the franchise up for failure. Its probably the angriest I've been in the heat of the moment where you had to question how these people were in charge and even inspired that PPP article about Nonis being outdone by a potato.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
As a Canuck fan, I'd change the title to "What decision has your team made that you can explain in any rational capacity."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Where do I ****ing begin?

-Traded Brian Leetch
-Signed Dan Girardi
-Signed Marc Staal
-Let Stralman walk
-Traded Brassard
-Completely farted on the Hagelin situation
-Completely farted on the Talbot situation
-First round 2010
-First round 2003
-First round 1998
-Traded a ransom for Yandle just to let him walk
-Let Jagr go to the KHL
-Let Messier walk to sign Sakic and then proceeded to not sign Sakic

Oh and they ****ing cut Gordie Howe as an invitee trading camp. THEY CUT GORDIE HOWE.

**** this team.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens:

Trading Spezza for Alex Chiasson and friends.

Letting Alfredsson sign in Detroit because Murray **** the bed on his signing.

Letting Chara walk opting to keep Redden instead.

Signing and then trading Marian Hossa.

More recently

Trading Dahlen for a 4rth liner amd signing him for 2 more years.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Where do I ****ing begin?

-Traded Brian Leetch
-Signed Dan Girardi
-Signed Marc Staal
-Let Stralman walk
-Traded Brassard
-Completely farted on the Hagelin situation
-Completely farted on the Talbot situation
-First round 2010
-First round 2003
-First round 1998
-Traded a ransom for Yandle just to let him walk
-Let Jagr go to the KHL
-Let Messier walk to sign Sakic and then proceeded to not sign Sakic

Oh and they ****ing cut Gordie Howe as an invitee trading camp. THEY CUT GORDIE HOWE.

**** this team.
With fans like you, the Rangers don't need enemies... ;)

I've already posted as an Oilers' fan, but in sum the basic shame of the organization's history comes down to one (smug) face:

1297614509737_ORIGINAL.jpg

There he is with the Stanley Cup.. on which he put his father's name. The same father who had nothing to do with the team, or with hockey.

I can't stomach the fact that Pocklington coerced Gretzky to "support" his bid for the P.C. leadership of Canada (major political party), and then sold him out to the highest bidders at the first sign of financial disaster. Not to mention 1000 other things he did, and said.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As the story goes, as the canes pick neared all the guys they had on their list for the first round went one after another. They were scrambling to decide who to draft and just ended up taking Paradis who they had wanted to draft with their second rounder.

Out of curiosity, I googled it and this story came up

http://www.canescountry.com/2009/6/27/927033/nhl-draft-carolina-hurricanes

There were several high-ranked players on the board when the Carolina Hurricanes selected 27th in the 2009 Entry Draft. But despite Drew Shore's jam, Landon Ferraro's bloodlines, Jeremy Morin's scoring acumen and Carter Ashton's size and family history, the Canes went off the board and chose Philippe Paradis, a 6-2 forward from Shawinigan of the QMJHL.

Oh to have those 0 career goals, and 3 points in 54 games of Carter Ashton(which the Leafs had the pleasure of watching I might add), the 1 NHL season of Landon Ferrero, the 8 million trades to and from Chicago of Jeremy Morin, or 1 half season, 1 quarter season, and 3 eighth seasons of Drew Shore.

With guys like Silfverberg, ROR, and Lehner going between 27 and 51 that year there were guys there to be had. But the consensus guys listed from that article sure as hell weren't them :laugh:

And anyway you traded those rights to the very lucky Leafs 6 months later for our own fabulous underwhelming 1st rounder(13th overall) from 3 years prior in Tlusty who put up 76 goals and 145 points in 322 games so I'd say it worked out ok for you guys.

meanwhile we got 10 goals and 20 points in 74 games from our 13th overall pick before trading him for your bust who got nothing :rant:

Oh for the Joys of the between lockouts management of the Leafs :laugh:

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Signing Jarome Iginla and Francois Beauchemin. I'll never forgive Sakic for sticking with these guys and giving them as much playing time as the team did.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I was a bit young when Roy was traded, so I'm gonna go with the two biggest cluster**** since I started to follow a tad more the team:

- The Gomez Trade (which is one of the worst trade ever)
- The Subban Trade (I'm still angry to this day)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Putting the ghost of Dan Cleary on the team in 13-14 over Nyquist and Tatar, when he had 0 business being on an NHL roster will always leave a bad taste in my mouth, and it was the beginning of me questioning and being unhappy with the decisions made by the front office.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Phil Kessel trade. He is a very good player and for me it's not about him, it's about the bigger picture of going for the quick fix over building a team. That trade effectively cost the Leafs almost a decade.

For pure ridiculousness, the Jeff Finger signing. If I recall correctly, his previous team (Colorado) thought he was so good, he got scratched for half of their playoff games. At least Clarkson was a NHL player. Ridiculous still applies to that signing too though.

The Brian Burke hiring pretty much sums it up. He inherited complete garbage and although he did manage to get us some really good pieces, overall he did more damage than he did good for us. But looking at where we are now, i wouldn't change a thing love the direction of our organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad