Speculation: What center should Carolina go after?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Justin Faulk for Tyler Johnson makes the most sense to me

Tampa lost out on the Karlsson sweepstakes and still gets an offensive RHD

The Canes have a big 2 way C in Staal, and get a shifty offensive center in Johnson to boost the offence

Reactions: byrath and Monument

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If they can pull themselves into the mix, Duchene would be a good rental. They have the cap to entice him to stay long term. I don't think that Faulk really moves the needle for the teams shopping top centers to you though. He might get moved in a different deal.

Reactions: CountKong

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
From Ottawa; Duchene, Stone, Ryan
From Carolina; Faulk, Jake Bean, 2019 1st, conditional picks dependent on Duchene/Stone resigning.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The last 2 years haven't exactly done wonders for his reputation.

Do you see what Hoffman got traded for and what Karlsson got traded for? Duchene is probably going to get traded for peanuts on the dollar because Ottawa has absolutely no leverage. His reputation being lower only helps.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The last 2 years haven't exactly done wonders for his reputation.

Question is can you find any better center who might be available at this time? Only other option I might see is a defenseman(not Faulk) for Nylander, but I don't see Nylander playing center in the NHL

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Do you see what Hoffman got traded for and what Karlsson got traded for? Duchene is probably going to get traded for peanuts on the dollar because Ottawa has absolutely no leverage. His reputation being lower only helps.

Still, heck of a player. Good choice for Carolina and probably won't cost a mint to acquire a la Dorion.

I'm not thinking trade value, I'm thinking the mess that's surrounded him for the last 2 years.

I don't think that's the best guy to add to Carolina right now who's looking to go up and become a contender one day.

Question is can you find any better center who might be available at this time? Only other option I might see is a defenseman(not Faulk) for Nylander, but I don't see Nylander playing center in the NHL

They don't have to trade for C rigth now, they could but it's not a must.

You don't have to try to force a fit.

Reactions: LAINEC

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Duchene.

Canes admitted he would have been in the team, but the lack of term and players involved was the problem. Sens might be more flexible on the return.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It would have to be Pesce, for Toronto to consider trading Nylander..... Personally, I'd do it, but most Toronto fans seem to want to keep all of the guys.... Faulk, no interest in. Nylander takes almost half of his lines faceoffs, and was decent in his time at C, when Matthews was injured... I think he could play there, but doubt Carolina wants to move Pesce, and most Leafs fans (not me) wouldn't move Nylander.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If there's a hockey trade for Faulk available (i.e. Johnson), that's a viable path.

Otherwise, Carolina should and I think will just sit on its hands. The Canes aren't good enough to trade a 1st for an impending UFA Duchene at this point. Forcing a trade for a center with term won't end well.

There may be some short-term pain with both the inexperienced Aho and the rookie Necas in the middle, but it's in the best long-term interest of the franchise to give them the opportunity.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Kadri + Carrick for Pesce

Rielly - Pesce would be a great top pairing

Kadri gets 1st like mintes, Kadri-Staal as top 2 centers in Carolina

Carolina defense:
Slavin - Hamilton
De Haan - Faulk
Fleury - TVR
Carrick

Pesce and Kadri are quality. Got to give to get, can’t be a lesser center to Carolina or a lesser D (like Faulk) to Toronto.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Kadri + Carrick for Pesce

Rielly - Pesce would be a great top pairing

Kadri gets 1st like mintes, Kadri-Staal as top 2 centers in Carolina

Carolina defense:
Slavin - Hamilton
De Haan - Faulk
Fleury - TVR
Carrick

Pesce and Kadri are quality. Got to give to get, can’t be a lesser center to Carolina or a lesser D (like Faulk) to Toronto.

If you want Pesce then we will need a Marner or Nylander and you're probably going to have to add.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Duchene is the answer.

I can't see Duchene taking anything less than 8.5m AAV to extend long-term with the Sens -- anything less and he's probably willing to take his chances as a UFA -- and I really doubt Melnyk would be willing to pay him that. Also if you can only keep one of Stone or Duchene, you keep Stone, IMO. He'd be a great veteran and captain to keep for the rebuild. Now whether Melnyk is willing to pay him and he's willing to sign and go through a rebuild is probably another story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad