Speculation: What center should Carolina go after?

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
So why did you quote with team win/loss records?:

"I'd love to see Duchene in Carolina for the next rebuild (he's not the guy that moves the needle)"

You accused an inability to impact the team, so this also reflects on someone like McDavid that would also be considered a bust. Oilers significantly regressed and not expected to be much better this season. If you dislike Duchene don't cherry pick team win/loss records to justify your obvious bias.
I listed his points totals and said he is a support player not a cornerstone.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Justin Faulk for Tyler Johnson makes the most sense to me

Tampa lost out on the Karlsson sweepstakes and still gets an offensive RHD

The Canes have a big 2 way C in Staal, and get a shifty offensive center in Johnson to boost the offence

I know this proposal gets brought up a lot here but I still don’t see it happening. Johnson won’t waive to go to Carolina and Faulk isn’t a good fit for the Lightning’s defensive pairings. Throw in the difference in term between the two players and it just doesn’t make sense for anybody involved except the Canes.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Yanni Gourde got 60+pts as a rookie. Hes a UFA and the Canes should definitely go after him.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Faulk for Duchene makes sense to me. Faulk would be somewhat of a replacement for Karlsson.
It would except for Faulk having a M-NTC. Odds are Ottawa is 1 of the 15 he will not accept a trade to.
The same probably holds true for any player with a NTC clause.

Duchene is probably the best target for the Canes but the return should reflect a rental. A bottom 6 forward or low pairing D, a decent but not great prospect & conditional picks. Although the parinoia by Melnyck about trading his pending UFAs to Eastern teams (like the extra 1st from the Sharks if Kalsson is traded to the East) probably removes that possibility.
So when Duchene is traded to the West look @ the acquiring teams center depth & maybe target the guy he bumps to 2 or 3.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yanni Gourde got 60+pts as a rookie. Hes a UFA and the Canes should definitely go after him.

That would be a smart play for the Canes. If he has another big season the Lightning may have a tough time affording his next deal depending on what Point, Vasy, and Serg end up costing. The only question with Gourde (aside from whether he can repeat last season’s performance) is that he played a lot as a top six winger and a bit at 3C, but he hasn’t played much center in the top six. Not to say he couldn’t cut it there but he’s not exactly proven in that role either.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Interesting player, he is small 5'8" @ 151 lbs and plays on a stacked TB team. He wasn't even drafted, so there are concerns on benefiting from his linemates.

Canes should sign if they get him for a reasonable deal. They should be concerned, he is a Winger which is not what the team needs.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
[MOD]

They should have landed O’Reilly. Now they have to wait until Ottawa is ready to completely purge itself of talent. Duchene and Stone are pending UFA’s - who is to say either will re-sign with Carolina if they were traded there?

Bozak and Stastny were free agents as well.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-16_1-11-37.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-16_1-11-37.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited by a moderator:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
In terms of a trade, maybe Bryan Little, Tyler Johnson, or maybe if they want a cheap number one centre maybe Cody Eakin. But if they want to go all in on Duchene during Free Agency, offer him the money. I personally believe Duchene needs to play on a contender (or two) before he plays a bigger role on a team that'll likely rely on him entirely.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I seem to remember a Skinner for Brassard trade getting panned around here, but that ship has sailed.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think the thread consensus is Duchene, and that's the right one.

Duchene is an interesting player. He seems like he could be a solid 1C that compares well with others in the league, but also seems like maybe an ideal 2C. That means that the usual teams who land free agents would be hesitant to pay big for him, especially since they are all usually close to the cap anyway.

Carolina can afford to take some risk with overpaying Duchene a bit. Not only that, but with their defense in amazing shape, and with some fantastic wingers in Aho and Svech, Carolina might be the best spot for Duchene to actually achieve his top potential. I think Duchene would sign there today if he were UFA

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Interesting player, he is small 5'8" @ 151 lbs and plays on a stacked TB team. He wasn't even drafted, so there are concerns on benefiting from his linemates.

Canes should sign if they get him for a reasonable deal. They should be concerned, he is a Winger which is not what the team needs.

He’s a good two-way player and the hardest-working guy in the organization; those things wouldn’t change in Carolina. He scored the vast majority of his goals by crashing the net and battling for pucks so assuming he keeps up that effort and style of play he should be able to replicate it on another team - it’s not like he was being set up for easy goals by his linemates. But he’s not the type to drive the scoring on his line and if you’re not getting pucks on net he’s not going to be sniping them in from long range for you.

He is also quite good at center, though as I mentioned earlier he mostly played center on the third line and winger in the top six (simply due to team depth) so he’s unproven as a top six center.

And as far as him being undrafted is concerned the same was true of Martin St. Louis and Tyler Johnson. Gourde doesn’t have their high end skill but he’s managed to overachieve by being one of the hardest-working players I’ve seen in a long time - the guy never takes a shift off and gives maximum effort every second he’s on the ice. I’d trade JT Miller before I’d let Gourde walk (though even that might not be enough to keep him depending on what our upcoming RFAs end up costing us). He’s just the kind of guy you want on your team and I’m going to be sad if we end up losing him.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I always thought RNH for one of the many defencemen the Canes have would work, only problem being RNH isn't reealllyy a #1 centre and Aho has already put up more points than he ever has.

But hey if they'd do it I would !

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I always thought RNH for one of the many defencemen the Canes have would work, only problem being RNH isn't reealllyy a #1 centre and Aho has already put up more points than he ever has.

But hey if they'd do it I would !
RNH probably isn't going since McDavid said last season that they should play together (not so much a demand from him, but just an observation). Keeping RNH allows us to staple Drai to the 2nd line, and injury insurance.

Besides, we're usually talking about Faulk. No one in the league will offer someone like RNH for Faulk, so I don't see why we should. Same for TVR and Fleury

I also don't see any other Dmen going. I suppose they could flip Hamilton to us lol, but again, I don't see it. I feel other Dmen are redundant to us. We need the offensive threat.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
RNH probably isn't going since McDavid said last season that they should play together (not so much a demand from him, but just an observation). Keeping RNH allows us to staple Drai to the 2nd line, and injury insurance.

Besides, we're usually talking about Faulk. No one in the league will offer someone like RNH for Faulk, so I don't see why we should. Same for TVR and Fleury

I also don't see any other Dmen going. I suppose they could flip Hamilton to us lol, but again, I don't see it. I feel other Dmen are redundant to us. We need the offensive threat.

Yeah but cap space so... RNH likely gets dealt eventually

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah but cap space so... RNH likely gets dealt eventually
this could be true, but we will delay that as much as possible. As of now, even adding another player wouldn't be an issue since we have LTIR from Sekera to work with. In the summer, the NTCs on Sekera and Russell loosen up, so we could potentially keep RNH long term but we shall see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad