Speculation: What center should Carolina go after?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I always thought RNH for one of the many defencemen the Canes have would work, only problem being RNH isn't reealllyy a #1 centre and Aho has already put up more points than he ever has.

But hey if they'd do it I would !
Fair point, but they were on pace for similar totals last year. They're actually fairly comparable players. Unfortunately, RNH is extremely important to the Oilers. In case you haven't noticed, we don't exactly have stocked cupboards in terms of forwards. If someone like Benson/McLeod/Yamamoto really breaks out this year, then maybe we look to trade RNH, but for right now he is firmly in our top-6 and we can't afford to lose him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Fair point, but they were on pace for similar totals last year

C’mon. RNH has 7? Years in the NHL and Aho, in his 2nd year has surpassed RNHs career high by almost 10 points. It’s great that RNH has a good pace when paired with McDavid, but Aho would likely improve his numbers if he played with McDavid as well. Disagree that they are comparable.

Reactions: Unsustainable

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
None. Centres are Staal, Rask, Necas. Roy isn't too far away.
Aho-Teravainen are a hell of a winger combo. Svetchnikov will be a gem. I like Zykov-Necas-Williams as a possible 3rd. I think Carolina needs a 2nd line LW to replace Skinner. Defense should be improved Slavin-Faulk, DeHaan-Hamilton, Fleury-Pesce/TVR is a good group.

Mrazek/Darling have to win some games, but I see a playoff contender with BrindAmour coaching.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
None. Centres are Staal, Rask, Necas. Roy isn't too far away.
Aho-Teravainen are a hell of a winger combo. Svetchnikov will be a gem. I like Zykov-Necas-Williams as a possible 3rd. I think Carolina needs a 2nd line LW to replace Skinner. Defense should be improved Slavin-Faulk, DeHaan-Hamilton, Fleury-Pesce/TVR is a good group.

Mrazek/Darling have to win some games, but I see a playoff contender with BrindAmour coaching.
Umm you might want to check on Rask's availability/health.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah but cap space so... RNH likely gets dealt eventually

I highly, highly doubt it. He has 3 more seasons left on his deal at 6 million and is loved by the organization.
Its not like we have a huge cap crunch coming up in the future, we are at our cap crunch right now and he has managed to remain an integral piece to the team.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Kadri + Carrick for Pesce

Rielly - Pesce would be a great top pairing

Kadri gets 1st like mintes, Kadri-Staal as top 2 centers in Carolina

Carolina defense:
Slavin - Hamilton
De Haan - Faulk
Fleury - TVR
Carrick

Pesce and Kadri are quality. Got to give to get, can’t be a lesser center to Carolina or a lesser D (like Faulk) to Toronto.

Value might be fine, but I'd much rather have the centre depth

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
I think one of Marner/Nylander in a 1 for 1 is a more realistic value in a 1 for 1 trade. Pesce is locked up long term and is an average top 2 pairing defensive guy.

Yeah I wouldn't move either of them, but I understand that's what you'd ask for.

I'd like to see how this year plays out before I consider moving any (better) part of that forward group.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't move either of them, but I understand that's what you'd ask for.

I'd like to see how this year plays out before I consider moving any (better) part of that forward group.

That's reasonable. I am of the stance that true defensive mobile and big top 2 dman do not come cheap. The reason he is on the 2nd pairing here is because the defense is stacked here in Carolina.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’d trade Pesce for Kadri quite easily. It’s tough to give up Pesce, but Faulk has 2 more years at a reasonable rate and Fox is waiting in the wings. The risks of moving Pesce being the potential difficulty in re-signing Hamilton in 3 years and actually signing Fox. If those 2 things happen, the team can handle moving Pesce’s awesome contract.

A 30g 2way center would totally change the forward makeup of the Canes in so many positive ways.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
That's reasonable. I am of the stance that true defensive mobile and big top 2 dman do not come cheap. The reason he is on the 2nd pairing here is because the defense is stacked here in Carolina.

Agreed dmen aren't cheap. I didn't mean to imply any of our lesser forwards would fetch Pesce.
I don't think Leafs d-group is as bad as some do. If we can get the puck into the hands of the forwards quickly, I think we can "play defence" by having the puck more.
Although Babs seems intent on using Hainsey with Rielly again, and that might be a problem.

Basically hoping to out-score any shortcomings. We shall see lol

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Umm you might want to check on Rask's availability/health.

Didn't realize he was out. In that case maybe Anisimov, prospect, and Chicago 2nd for Hayden Fleury. Hawks can add Nash then to fill out their top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad