Speculation: What can you team offer for Patrik Laine? (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Habs have been offering the 16th pick plus a top 6 player and top prospect and are getting laughed at by some Jets fans. I don't think you're close
I think at this point the Habs probably would need to offer the same package but a top 5 pick as well to satisfy Jets fans...not that we would offer that (nor we actually have such a pick to offer).

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Habs have been offering the 16th pick plus a top 6 player and top prospect and are getting laughed at by some Jets fans. I don't think you're close
I sorta guessed that >.> its just that its very hard to find a good match for such a trade on the devil side. the 18th pick + palmieri seems like an overpayment for just 1 year of Laine. all The other players we have I don't think the jets would have much interest in so that makes us move to prospects and the jets would want (Ty Smith) who is definitely on the no trade list. Also trading both 18th and 20th pick seems like an overpayment also

The best trade I can think of would be
Kevin Bahl + 18th pick
or
Nolan Foote +18th pick

For Laine

Yeah, Just not very good trading partners I guess..Unless you believe one of those two prospects can turn into something beter then Domi. Like Bahl Turning into A Byfuglien/Chara clone or Foote who has a huge shot turning into a cheaper Laine.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You could be right, although I thought there have been enough Jets fan fully open to trading Laine (assuming proper return). Sure, anyone has a price but for those players fans consider core pieces to build a team around, most fans would generally just say, NO. Not happening, <player x> is simply not available. Laine, unless I'm wrong, doesn't seem to have that level of confidence amongst the Jets fans. How many Habs fans have come out here and said, Hey, who wants Suzuki, what do you want for him? Or for Kotkaniemi? Or Pens fans go, "Who wants Crosby/Malkin? What would you offer?". Or Ovi for Washington, etc. etc. It's usually those players who have disappointed and haven't nearly gotten close to their hype, that are been offered by their team fans. Some exception being, players, that for some reason or another, have become possibly available because of contract issues or personality issues (<player x> wants out of the team) etc. etc.

As for Montreal fans offering garbage...well, I think it's generally true for all fan bases. It's rare a fan would offer something that is actually decent simply because they value their own players higher than outside fans would, even if they are "table scraps".
Yeah, Laine also doesn't get a fair shake from some Winnipeg fans and you know how it is with the vocal minority. The people that like him don't go online and start threads raving about him. But the vocal minority that have a bias against him are there to post right away.

Even though he is 6th in goals in hockey history for a player under 23, that's not good enough. He needs to be the new Selanne and pot 76 goals in a season to get some respect from these fans.

Hence a lot of silly proposals that Winnipeg would never consider.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If Laine is asking for $9m I don't know that Montreal can afford him anyway. There's already big long term money dedicated to Price & Weber. On top of that it sure sounds like MB wants to resign Danault, Gallagher & Petry - all of whom will probably get raises.

In 2 years, Suzuki's ELC is up. If he continues his upward climb, I can easily forsee a $5-6m contract for him too.

Also, don't like that Laine has gotten off to fast starts the last two years than wilted in the 2nd half. Not sure he'll like Montreal's scrutiny.

He's probably better off in Florida.

not sure danault is back.

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I sorta guessed that >.> its just that its very hard to find a good match for such a trade on the devil side. the 18th pick + palmieri seems like an overpayment for just 1 year of Laine. all The other players we have I don't think the jets would have much interest in so that makes us move to prospects and the jets would want (Ty Smith) who is definitely on the no trade list. Also trading both 18th and 20th pick seems like an overpayment also

The best trade I can think of would be
Kevin Bahl + 18th pick
or
Nolan Foote +18th pick

For Laine

Yeah, Just not very good trading partners I guess..Unless you believe one of those two prospects can turn into something beter then Domi. Like Bahl Turning into A Byfuglien/Chara clone or Foote who has a huge shot turning into a cheaper Laine.

that is a pretty weak offer my man.

this would have to be 7+ a better prospect for sure

a Hischier for Laine type deal would be interesting tho

Reactions: Nedarb

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
that is a pretty weak offer my man.

this would have to be 7+ a better prospect for sure

a Hischier for Laine type deal would be interesting tho

uhh...no, for that to make any sense Laine would have to signed to a longer contract or agree to sign a contract after being traded for that to be even close.

Laine has 1 year on his contract while Hischier has 6.

Not to mention the whole Centre>Winger value.

Nobody will ever offer you anything like 7 pick + prospect for a year of Laine.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
uhh...no, for that to make any sense Laine would have to signed to a longer contract or agree to sign a contract after being traded for that to be even close.

Laine has 1 year on his contract while Hischier has 6.

Not to mention the whole Centre>Winger value.

Nobody will ever offer you anything like 7 pick + prospect for a year of Laine.
Would make sense if he was an UFA, but he's not, so you're gonna pay premium, contract or not.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Yeah, Laine also doesn't get a fair shake from some Winnipeg fans and you know how it is with the vocal minority. The people that like him don't go online and start threads raving about him. But the vocal minority that have a bias against him are there to post right away.

Even though he is 6th in goals in hockey history for a player under 23, that's not good enough. He needs to be the new Selanne and pot 76 goals in a season to get some respect from these fans.

Ahh, gotcha. As you probably know, the Habs have their own fair share of such vocal (incredibly vocal) fans. Sure does make things lively...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

That is all fine and well but there are some concerns. While he looks to have developed more of a two-way game (decent, not great) that seems to have been at the expense of his goal scoring despite plenty of opportunity to succeed. So, teams have to be wondering what player they would be getting in a prospective trade?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
A lot of folks seem to be trying to, let's say, "manufacture" issues with Laine so they can get him for a dog's breakfast of lesser parts. That Devils offer a few posts up is awful for Winnipeg. Hischier is 100 per cent the ask for Laine, just as how it's Suzuki/Kotkaniemi from the Habs.

Would the Devils trade Hischier for #10 plus Heinola? Of course not. That's how we value Laine. Likewise, MTL wouldn't even consider #10 plus Heinola plus Vesalainen for Kotkaniemi, which is why we keep turning down that Domi + offer, as it is quite similar.

I know it sucks but to pry Laine out of Winnipeg it has to be for a top piece. Anything less than that and Winnipeg would prefer to hold on to him instead of trading him just for the sake of making a trade.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
A lot of folks seem to be trying to, let's say, "manufacture" issues with Laine so they can get him for a dog's breakfast of lesser parts. That Devils offer a few posts up is awful for Winnipeg. Hischier is 100 per cent the ask for Laine, just as how it's Suzuki/Kotkaniemi from the Habs.

Would the Devils trade Hischier for #10 plus Heinola? Of course not. That's how we value Laine. Likewise, MTL wouldn't even consider #10 plus Heinola plus Vesalainen for Kotkaniemi, which is why we keep turning down that Domi + offer, as it is quite similar.

I know it sucks but to pry Laine out of Winnipeg it has to be for a top piece. Anything less than that and Winnipeg would prefer to hold on to him instead of trading him just for the sake of making a trade.
I'm not going to lie, I'm interested in that. That means Domi stays with the Habs which would be great news! That said, losing Kotka would obviously sting a bit, especially since he's just recently shown us what he's capable of - and he looks amazing. But Heinola + 10th + Vesalainen is a pretty solid offer IMO.

I would have entertained Kotka for Laine, but my main issue with Laine (more than consistency, etc) is the cap & how much he'll ask/get next season.

Reactions: Nedarb

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hischier is a non-starter for the Devils, but I Do get why the Jets ask for him first

what about something like #7 overall + Nolan Foote OR Jesper Boqvist + Miles Wood

any interest in something like that? Just spitballing

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Lol. That Devils offer up there was terrible. As a Devils fan I wouldn't offer Hischier (which I know is the ask from you guys) but I think the highest I would go would be 7 + 20 + Boqvist/Foote + like Miles Wood @ 50% retention for Laine + a 3rd next year/lesser pick this year/lesser prospect or something like that. If this is still off lmk

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think the Laine subject has been beaten to death, the content of posts is declining resulting in a lot of Mod work.......so we'll close this one down. If any real Laine rumours come out, we're happy to open up a new Laine thread........until then we're closing this puppy down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad