Speculation: What can you team offer for Patrik Laine? (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we consider him a core piece that is a bit of a work in progress. He's only 22 and he will likely get better. As I wrote above, if he improves in some areas, he would be untouchable. Right now, if he could be traded to get us what we are missing (2C and 1st pair RHD), we'd have to look at it.

When I look at Laine at 22, I'm not so sure he gets better. He might get more 40+ goal seasons though. But right now, his averages are 37 per season and 31 over the last two. If he was getting better, he would have built on his age 20 season IMO. I think the version of Laine we see today is close to who he is.

70 pts and 40 goals is where I have his trade value at. Not 80+ and 50 goals. Not saying it's impossible for him to reach that but if it is possible, it's also possible Domi has more 70+ and 28 goal seasons too. Fair is fair

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Thank you for being reasonable. It's appreciated. Some others need to tone down BS towards Habs assets.

If the Jets "had" to move Laine, they obviously could do worse. Who knows, maybe it would be the best offer from a value perspective.

Caufield scares me though. Has been elite, even in the NCAA, but there is always a fear that his size won't translate, even with his skill. Could be really good though.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Umm...is it just me or does Laine always come up on trade talks every year? What is he missing that would make Jets fans always willing to trade him? Sure, you don't want to trade him for table scraps but considering the number of times he shows up in these trade threads, it does seem he's also (from a Jets fans POV) not in the Jets core... Or am I just dreaming and the majority of the teams fans do consider him a core piece?
Most of the time the threads are started by desperate teams searching for scoring like Montreal. It then devolves into Montreal fans (well one) offering garbage, Jets fans turning it down and one certain Habs fan crying because Jets fans don't value his garbage as highly as he does.

The other reason threads like this are started by Jets fans, is Laine is a valuable piece and some fans like to discuss and dream about what players would be available to change the team. It's just something to talk about.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Jets "had" to move Laine, they obviously could do worse. Who knows, maybe it would be the best offer from a value perspective.

Caufield scares me though. Has been elite, even in the NCAA, but there is always a fear that his size won't translate, even with his skill. Could be really good though.

It is weird that no team is stepping up like the Habs are after 22 pages. Necas and Pesce is a low offer IMO.

Caufield is small and the concern is fair. But that concern has been addressed a bit more since his draft year. His draft +1 in the NCAA was very very good and that league has more physical men older than the CHL! It's a league with a lot of coaching and game preparation too. Wisconsin was not a good team and Caufield was targeted. He didn't play with Turcotte either.

The only way I see the Jets trading Laine is if he ask for too much in contract extensions. If he does not, you sign him and he stays. It's a similar problem we might have with Danault to be honest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most of the time the threads are started by desperate teams searching for scoring like Montreal. It then devolves into Montreal offering garbage, Jets fans turning it down and one certain have fan crying because Jets fans don't value his garbage as highly as he does.

The other reason threads like this are started by Jets fans, is Laine is a valuable piece and some fans like to discuss and dream about what players would be available to change the team. It's just something to talk about.

Correct me If I am wrong but who created this thread? Not sure but seems like it was a Jets fan? :dunno:

And based on the interest after 22 pages... I would not jump on the Habs back too much. We have offered probably the best packages. Necas and Pesce is not it. So if you do get into contract problems with Laine, it's very possible we offer you the best return.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The measure in trade negotiations is not just about Laine vs Domi. It's about the Jets getting a NHL proven piece like Domi with a prospect like Caufield and our 16th OA. That creates cap flexibility for the Jets to make their team better for the now and the future. Habs also have some young RD's like Fleury and Brook that would be the best prospects at RD for the Jets? Am I wrong? Jets fans would have to say who is their RD depth in the pool.

You don’t trade Laine types for multiple pieces.
Elite snipers are rare in this league and Laine is just starting to hit his prime

Bond

May 10, 2012
Monahan for Laine
Gaudreau for Domi

Add in prospects and picks to balance and get a three team trade going.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That would be merciful.

Domi, Caufield and a 1st is the new Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.

Those two packages...aren't comparable.

As an outside perspective, I'm not saying Winnipeg should trade Laine. But that's a pretty good package.

I don't rate Laine super highly. He has an elite shot obviously, and he can clearly outscore his "expected" goals at evens and particularly on the PP. But he's below-average in the other areas of the game.

Domi is not great defensively either, but his passing and transition skills do drive offensive chance creation and help his linemates more. He has great microstats. This small sample with Weise attached to him in the playoffs isn't really representative.

IMO Caulfield also has near Laine-level upside, while a 1st rounder is always nice (can use the selection or move it to upgrade elsewhere).

Again, not saying WPG absolutely would do this deal. But if I were a Jets fan, I think this is a competitive package.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don’t trade Laine types for multiple pieces.
Elite snipers are rare in this league.

Caufield is an elite level sniper... as a prospect not turned pro anyways. The other offer we seen early in this thread was Ekblad but the Panthers can't make that trade cause their D is thin.

I agree somewhat on the multiple pieces but this is not some spare part multiple pieces offer. 16th OA and Caufield is no joke in terms of futures value. To go along with Domi who I am sure gets more 70+ pts and 28 goals playing with talent for once in his NHL career. And we also considered Domi vs Danault.

Habs traded Patch who was a 30-40 goal man and 60 pts for pieces and we did very well with it. Laine really don't have better stats than Patch had. Laine's career averages over 305 games are 66 pts and 37 goals. Playing with sick talent around him too with the Jets.

I don't agree he is on this step upward trajectory at 22 and if the Jets don't want to pay him $9M+, I don't blame them either. They could easily win the Domi, 16th and Caufield trade in as little as 2 years. It would come down to how good Caufield is

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

As an outside perspective, I'm not saying Winnipeg should trade Laine. But that's a pretty good package.

I don't rate Laine super highly. He has an elite shot obviously, and he can clearly outscore his "expected" goals at evens and particularly on the PP. But he's below-average in the other areas of the game.

Domi is not great defensively either, but his passing and transition skills do drive offensive chance creation and help his linemates more. He has great microstats. This small sample with Weise attached to him in the playoffs isn't really representative.

IMO Caulfield also has near Laine-level upside, while a 1st rounder is always nice (can use the selection or move it to upgrade elsewhere).

Again, not saying WPG absolutely would do this deal. But if I were a Jets fan, I think this is a competitive package.

Thank you. I agree with everything you said. Jets don't have to trade Laine but some Jets fans saying that Habs offer is terrible is disingenuous.

Domi: At 23 and 24, he had one very good season and one disapointing one. I have Domi's value at 60 pts and 25 goals. Right smack in the middle of his last two seasons at the age of 23 and 24. He's not just some 50 pts and 15 goal forward. And when you look at the talent he has played with on both the Coyotes and Habs, it's nowhere near the talent Laine plays with. It's very possible this turns into a Patch vs Tatar situation IMO with players swapping teams.

16th OA: It's up to the Jets to look at this draft and see if they feel they can hit on a target. After 12/13, the talent seems to be one big waive IMO

Caufield: You are bang on. He has sniping ability like Laine. Small yes but his draft +1 playing NCAA address some of the size concerns. NCAA has men in that league. And Wisconsin was not a stacked team this past year... Caufield produced!

Laine: I have his trade value at 70 pts and 40 goals. His career averages are 66 pts and 37 goals in 300+ games. I don't see steep upward trajectory at the age of 22.

Nov 24, 2006

Long time posters will remember years ago when "Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd" was the standing offer for the Habs trying to get a good player. It became a bit of a meme. I was just making a joke linking the Domi, Caufield and a 1st offer to that old one. Not comparing them.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Long time posters will remember years ago when "Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd" was the standing offer for the Habs trying to get a good player. It became a bit of a meme. I was just making a joke linking the Domi, Caufield and a 1st offer to that old one. Not comparing them.

I get the meme. I was around then. It's similar to the Canucks' "Raymond, Ballard, and a 2nd".

The meme is funny because the package is overall pretty bad though. The proposed Domi package is...quite attractive.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I get the meme. I was around then. It's similar to the Canucks' "Raymond, Ballard, and a 2nd".

The meme is funny because the package is overall pretty bad though. The proposed Domi package is...quite attractive.
Looks like a Pettersson for that package thread is upcoming.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Caufield is an elite level sniper... as a prospect not turned pro anyways. The other offer we seen early in this thread was Ekblad but the Panthers can't make that trade cause their D is thin.

I agree somewhat on the multiple pieces but this is not some spare part multiple pieces offer. 16th OA and Caufield is no joke in terms of futures value. To go along with Domi who I am sure gets more 70+ pts and 28 goals playing with talent for once in his NHL career. And we also considered Domi vs Danault.

Habs traded Patch who was a 30-40 goal man and 60 pts for pieces and we did very well with it. Laine really don't have better stats than Patch had. Laine's career averages over 305 games are 66 pts and 37 goals. Playing with sick talent around him too with the Jets.

I don't agree he is on this step upward trajectory at 22 and if the Jets don't want to pay him $9M+, I don't blame them either. They could easily win the Domi, 16th and Caufield trade in as little as 2 years. It would come down to how good Caufield is

Caufield isn’t an elite sniper.
Laine, Matthews, Pasta, Ovy are elite snipers.

Domi isn’t a game changer, changing Laine to him makes the Jets very mjehh team

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I wonder what it would take for the Devils to get him

18th overall pick
for
Laine +Little

Based off that Little's Career may be over and Jets might want to move his 5 million dollar contract
and they would get a 2nd first round draft pick in a very deep draft. Based off various mock drafts their should be good defensmen like Schneider and comier around that spot and awesome power foward Dylan Holloway

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

18th overall pick
for
Laine +Little

Based off that Little's Career may be over and Jets might want to move his 5 million dollar contract

Little made it clear publicly at the end of the season in a emotional interview, he may never play again. He likely ends up retiring or LTIR.....his contract isn’t an issue.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I have no dog in this fight because I am not really interested in my habs trading for Laine but out of 22 pages there has only been TWO legit offers cause all I see are offers from other teams that don't even come close to what @TooLegitToQuit is offering and again this is coming from someone not interested in Laine.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010

18th overall pick
for
Laine +Little

and they would get a 2nd first round draft pick in a very deep draft. Based off various mock drafts their should be good defensmen like Schneider and comier around that spot and awesome power foward Dylan Holloway

Habs have been offering the 16th pick plus a top 6 player and top prospect and are getting laughed at by some Jets fans. I don't think you're close

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Most of the time the threads are started by desperate teams searching for scoring like Montreal. It then devolves into Montreal fans (well one) offering garbage, Jets fans turning it down and one certain have fan crying because Jets fans don't value his garbage as highly as he does.

You could be right, although I thought there have been enough Jets fan fully open to trading Laine (assuming proper return). Sure, anyone has a price but for those players fans consider core pieces to build a team around, most fans would generally just say, NO. Not happening, <player x> is simply not available. Laine, unless I'm wrong, doesn't seem to have that level of confidence amongst the Jets fans. How many Habs fans have come out here and said, Hey, who wants Suzuki, what do you want for him? Or for Kotkaniemi? Or Pens fans go, "Who wants Crosby/Malkin? What would you offer?". Or Ovi for Washington, etc. etc. It's usually those players who have disappointed and haven't nearly gotten close to their hype, that are been offered by their team fans. Some exception being, players, that for some reason or another, have become possibly available because of contract issues or personality issues (<player x> wants out of the team) etc. etc.

As for Montreal fans offering garbage...well, I think it's generally true for all fan bases. It's rare a fan would offer something that is actually decent simply because they value their own players higher than outside fans would, even if they are "table scraps".

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Little made it clear publicly at the end of the season in a emotional interview, he may never play again. He likely ends up retiring or LTIR.....his contract isn’t an issue.
oh? I Don't really know much about how the cap system works. what makes Little different then Nathan Horton and David Clarkson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad