Speculation: What can you team offer for Patrik Laine? (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Laine is a 6'4'', 19 yo 44 goals scorer.

This kind of player don't grows on tree. You have to pay to get this kind of quality.
You don’t trade players like this. If you do, it’s for the moon.

don’t take a cent less

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You should really try to watch him play.
Gentle giant? You're embarassing yourself now.
By the way, he has scored more points than Danault and Suzuki combined.
Keep Caufield and everyone else because thery're the best!!!

I don't consider Laine a complete forward or a power forward type. He's a sniper. Blake Wheeler Quote: He's not doing it all on his own ;)

Laine having more points than Danault and Suzuki. Sure. Why do Jets fans say Suzuki is a must have then? :sarcasm:

Caufield is one of the best prospects not playing NHL. So you can say you prefer other type of players but devaluing him to a meh add is only embarrassing yourself

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Max Domi beat Laine in 1 year in points and never in goals (Im not hating on domi its just the facts)

Patrik Laine Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com - Laine

Max Domi Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com - Max Domi

Laine maybe frusting to watch at times because he can coast ( At least thats what i gotten from reading about him here) But Winnipeg would be stupid to trade for Laine for domi +.

Domi doesnt get you close to Laine.

There should be other options for Winnipeg to fill in 2c and defense then trading a 22 year old superstar

Never said Domi was worth Laine alone. I did say Domi has the same pts/game as Laine over the last two seasons with the difference of Laine having 8 goals more per season. That was about trying to nail down the gap between the two.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I'm curious what the league-wide perception of Laine is at this point. We all know his exhaustive list of accolades as a tween but the past couple of years have been interesting. He seems to have lost his mojo a bit as a goalscorer but has become a better all-around player. Not a Selke candidate mind you, but better. Are you trading for a guy who was trending towards being a Rocket Richard winner or for a more run of the mill top six scorer?

poor roster utilization in Winnipeg. Because why else would you throw a guy with 50G potential on your second line.

Reactions: Easternbull

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are aware necas has pretty well identical stats to Suzuki right? And they were drafted the same year one apart?
Suzuki = necas fyi

as for pesce I’d take him over Caulfield anyday. Especially when It comes to jets needing a right handed top d man. So yeah it’s a much better offer than Domi and Caufield.

I am aware. You value Necas over Suzuki? That's your prerogative. Suzuki is one year younger and this is Necas's 2nd year of pro. We will see what both do next year. Heading into this year, I thought Suzuki would play AHL like Necas last year

The Necas/Pesce vs Caufield/Danault is close. But I see it this way... It's a good debate and it's close. I will admit that. The main point? I have seen some Jets fans say the Caufield, Danault, 1st offer was terrible and then turned around and said the Necas and Pesce was solid :laugh:

- Danault with extension > Pesce. Pesce is a solid D man but he's not worth Danault
- Necas = Caufield. Edge to Necas but only because he has turn pro. Caufield needs to turn pro so we can compare equally

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm curious what the league-wide perception of Laine is at this point. We all know his exhaustive list of accolades as a tween but the past couple of years have been interesting. He seems to have lost his mojo a bit as a goalscorer but has become a better all-around player. Not a Selke candidate mind you, but better. Are you trading for a guy who was trending towards being a Rocket Richard winner or for a more run of the mill top six scorer?

Laine has career averages of 37 goals per season and over the last two season's it's 31 goals. That's not trending towards a Rocket Richard winner. He had a 44 goal season at the age of 20. The other 3 seasons are 30-36 range.

Laine has one hell of a shot yes. He might win a Rocket Richard trophy one day but he's not a complete forward. He needs another 40+ goal season IMO to be where you think he is at.

Nedarb

Feb 19, 2019
I am aware. You value Necas over Suzuki? That's your prerogative. Suzuki is one year younger and this is Necas's 2nd year of pro. We will see what both do next year. Heading into this year, I thought Suzuki would play AHL like Necas last year

The Necas/Pesce vs Caufield/Danault is close. But I see it this way... It's a good debate and it's close. I will admit that. The main point? I have seen some Jets fans say the Caufield, Danault, 1st offer was terrible and then turned around and said the Necas and Pesce was solid :laugh:

- Danault with extension > Pesce. Pesce is a solid D man but he's not worth Danault
- Necas = Caufield. Edge to Necas but only because he has turn pro. Caufield needs to turn pro so we can compare equally
Try and read more carefully please..

suzuki = necas. No where was it said necas > Suzuki.
I see pesce > signed Danault.. that’s just my opinion personally. I can’t speak for all fans. However we aren’t interested in Danault being the main piece back. We want Suzuki or kk. And if that’s off the table we go to necas and pesce offer. Because remember Necas = Suzuki or very close to anyway. So he’d be the next best thing.

Nov 24, 2006
poor roster utilization in Winnipeg. Because why else would you throw a guy with 50G potential on your second line.
As a Jets fan, I'll say this:

He has his warts, and putting him on the second line keeps him away from what is typically the opposing team's best forecheckers. He coughs up the puck in the offensive zone when pressured, doesn't win many board battles, and he can be prone to giveaways in the defensive zone. If he can overcome these weaknesses, he becomes a sure-fire first line winger IMO that is capable of close to 50 goals each year.

He stays on PP1 because the game changes and he becomes lethal. I'd keep him on PP2 as well if I were Maurice. 5 on 5 is different though.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Umm...is it just me or does Laine always come up on trade talks every year? What is he missing that would make Jets fans always willing to trade him? Sure, you don't want to trade him for table scraps but considering the number of times he shows up in these trade threads, it does seem he's also (from a Jets fans POV) not in the Jets core... Or am I just dreaming and the majority of the teams fans do consider him a core piece?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
As a Jets fan, I'll say this:

He has his warts, and putting him on the second line keeps him away from what is typically the opposing team's best forecheckers. He coughs up the puck in the offensive zone when pressured, doesn't win many board battles, and he can be prone to giveaways in the defensive zone. If he can overcome these weaknesses, he becomes a sure-fire first line winger IMO that is capable of close to 50 goals each year.

He stays on PP1 because the game changes and he becomes lethal. I'd keep him on PP2 as well if I were Maurice. 5 on 5 is different though.
Ahh, sounds like Droin (albeit, a much bigger, better version ;) ).

Nov 24, 2006
Umm...is it just me or does Laine always come up on trade talks every year? What is he missing that would make Jets fans always willing to trade him? Sure, you don't want to trade him for table scraps but considering the number of times he shows up in these trade threads, it does seem he's also (from a Jets fans POV) not in the Jets core... Or am I just dreaming and the majority of the teams fans do consider him a core piece?
I think we consider him a core piece that is a bit of a work in progress. He's only 22 and he will likely get better. As I wrote above, if he improves in some areas, he would be untouchable. Right now, if he could be traded to get us what we are missing (2C and 1st pair RHD), we'd have to look at it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Try and read more carefully please..

suzuki = necas. No where was it said necas > Suzuki.
I see pesce > signed Danault.. that’s just my opinion personally. I can’t speak for all fans. However we aren’t interested in Danault being the main piece back. We want Suzuki or kk. And if that’s off the table we go to necas and pesce offer. Because remember Necas = Suzuki or very close to anyway. So he’d be the next best thing.

It's not Danault that is the main piece back. It would be Caufield. Danault would be the stapled in 2nd line center who goes up against the other teams top lines. He's worth more than Pesce IMO. And there was a question mark after the "You value Necas over Suzuki?" so not so sure you should be sensitive to that.

And remember, the package was with our 16th pick on top of Caufield and Danault. Necas and Pesce is a very low return and so is Danault and Caufield. You are overlooking the point of some Jets fans saying Necas and Pesce was a solid offer and then turning around and saying Caufield, Danault, and our 1st was terrible. Come on man... Just admit it. Some Jets fans are overreacting towards Habs fans. Evidence is all around you

Suzuki put up Necas numbers and more in his 1st pro season. Suzuki went up head to head against Crosby/Malkin and Couturier/Hayes in the playoffs as the Habs #1C. As far as i can tell, Necas was playing 4th line RW and his min's per game against the Bruins went from 18, 17, 11, 10, and then 8.

Suzuki is well ahead of Necas's development curve

Reactions: Zahra Starker

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Domi is 25y, Laine is 22y.

A realistic view should be that Laine has far more potential to develop, and Domi would be a terrible fit at #2C

Reactions: Snowman

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If Jets fans just accept Domi, Caufield, and a 1st can the thread be closed? lol.

No! Not until you trade Laine to MON and he then proceeds to put up 65 goals and 120pts allowing some MON fans to throw it in your face that you never fully developed him.

This Laine thread reminds me of the value some/one MON fan(s) gave for Huberdeau just a year ago.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
From Montreal:

Danault, 2021 1st (top 3 protected), Domi for Laine, Perrault and the Jets 2020 2nd

Nedarb

Feb 19, 2019
It's not Danault that is the main piece back. It would be Caufield. Danault would be the stapled in 2nd line center who goes up against the other teams top lines. He's worth more than Pesce IMO. And there was a question mark after the "You value Necas over Suzuki?" so not so sure you should be sensitive to that.

And remember, the package was with our 16th pick on top of Caufield and Danault. Necas and Pesce is a very low return and so is Danault and Caufield. You are overlooking the point of some Jets fans saying Necas and Pesce was a solid offer and then turning around and saying Caufield, Danault, and our 1st was terrible. Come on man... Just admit it. Some Jets fans are overreacting towards Habs fans. Evidence is all around you

Suzuki put up Necas numbers and more in his 1st pro season. Suzuki went up head to head against Crosby/Malkin and Couturier/Hayes in the playoffs as the Habs #1C. As far as i can tell, Necas was playing 4th line RW and his min's per game against the Bruins went from 18, 17, 11, 10, and then 8.

Suzuki is well ahead of Necas's development curve
My friend.. please listen carefully. You ask jets fans what offer they like if they do not like yours. They tell you. It’s not an opening to call that offer garbage and jump right back on to the Domi/Danault caufield Wagon saying it’s better and listing the same reasons over and over and over again.

It’s 21 pages of the same offer being declined. How many pages must this truly go!?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Domi is 25y, Laine is 22y.

A realistic view should be that Laine has far more potential to develop, and Domi would be a terrible fit at #2C

The measure in trade negotiations is not just about Laine vs Domi. It's about the Jets getting a NHL proven piece like Domi with a prospect like Caufield and our 16th OA. That creates cap flexibility for the Jets to make their team better for the now and the future. Habs also have some young RD's like Fleury and Brook that would be the best prospects at RD for the Jets? Am I wrong? Jets fans would have to say who is their RD depth in the pool.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The measure in trade negotiations is not just about Laine vs Domi. It's about the Jets getting a NHL proven piece like Domi with a prospect like Caufield and our 16th OA. That creates cap flexibility for the Jets to make their team better for the now and the future. Habs also have some young RD's like Fleury and Brook that would be the best prospects at RD for the Jets? Am I wrong? Jets fans would have to say who is their RD depth in the pool.

Domi, 16th and Caufield is not a bad package to be honest. I'd keep Laine, but it's at least getting there in value. I could see Winnipeg wanting Romanov in any deal, though. Domi, Romanov and 16th is a little excessive I feel.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My friend.. please listen carefully. You ask jets fans what offer they like if they do not like yours. They tell you. It’s not an opening to call that offer garbage and jump right back on to the Domi/Danault caufield Wagon saying it’s better and listing the same reasons over and over and over again.

It’s 21 pages of the same offer being declined. How many pages must this truly go!?

21 pages and Necas and Pesce is the best offer. That's the funny part.

You listen very carefully my friend... I am allowed to post on the main boards. If this was a Jets board, that's a different story.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Domi, 16th and Caufield is not a bad package to be honest. I'd keep Laine, but it's at least getting there in value. I could see Winnipeg wanting Romanov in any deal, though. Domi, Romanov and 16th is a little excessive I feel.

It all comes down to if the Jets feel they will have to overpay Laine and don't want to IMO. If they get Laine on a deal they feel is right, they won't trade him. If they want to move him, then it comes down to what offers they get from all teams interested.

Habs have pieces we can put on the table and pieces we can't. Centers like Suzuki and KK and LD like Romanov we can't do. I understand the Jets asking for that and I might to if I was them. But pieces we can discuss is Danault, Domi, 16th OA, Caufield, Harris, Fleury, Poehling, and Brook. Maybe even Primeau but the Jets have their goalie.

Thank you for reaching out on the Domi, 16th and Caufield package. I feel value is there but Jets don't appear to like Domi at all so it falls through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad