HF Habs: What are your initial impressions of the Habs 2023 Draft class?

Overall INITIAL grade?

• Total voters

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Man these last two drafts have really been something.

Agree. I think Habs have killed it in their 2 last draft's !
Hab fans and non hab fans thought the Habs crushed the 2012 draft.

Looking good outside the NHL is great and you can use that to increase the value of a pick. Ex. You draft someone in the 5th, they play well the next 2 years and they might have the equivalent value of a 2nd

It's looking solid, but time will tell if the drafts are any good.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Looking good outside the NHL is great and you can use that to increase the value of a pick. Ex. You draft someone in the 5th, they play well the next 2 years and they might have the equivalent value of a 2nd

To be fair, who looked good in that D+1?

Collberg already seemed to be busting.
Thrower took a step back.
Bozon had that sickness (or was it his D+2?)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
To be fair, who looked good in that D+1?

Collberg already seemed to be busting.
Thrower took a step back.
Bozon had that sickness (or was it his D+2?)
That was his D+2.

Vail, Hudson both improved.

Collberg's hype came from his world juniors play.

Erik Nystrom increase his production.

There was a report that one scout had Vail in the 1st round.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020

We were crowned the winners of the 2012 draft on the main board.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Actually the early returns of 2012 weren’t that good. The hype came immediately after the draft.

The early returns on these drafts are much much more impressive. No contest

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That was his D+2.

Vail, Hudson both improved.

Collberg's hype came from his world juniors play.

Erik Nystrom increase his production.

There was a report that one scout had Vail in the 1st round.
A unknown report by an unknown source by an unknown scout is not worth much. Vail was an under ppg player in the CHL every year outside of his last (19). And even in his last he failed to deliver in playoffs. He was not tall and had not much to offer.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I don't know why the discussion went to talk about the 2012 draft. The 2023 one looked pretty damn bad, pretty quickly as well.

I'm hoping we don't BS Reinbacher like we BSed Galchenyuk. :laugh:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't know why the discussion went to talk about the 2012 draft. The 2023 one looked pretty damn bad, pretty quickly as well.

I'm hoping we don't BS Reinbacher like we BSed Galchenyuk. :laugh:
Oh right Fowler/Volokhin/Bogdan/FX/Eriksson all look like bad picks as well :sarcasm:

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Stats in lower leagues don't matter much. Until they actually get a pro contract from the NHL, I rate them the same: Shit. :laugh:

It's one way you "incite" them to do better. Full Metal Jacket style... ;)

So you think any player without a pro contract is shit? None of the stats matter? And you spend your time posting on a site named hockey's future?

Even better you think your opinion would be relevant to the prospects themselves? Are you trolling or is this a serious post?

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So you think any player without a pro contract is shit? None of the stats matter? And you spend your time posting on a site named hockey's future?

Even better you think your opinion would be relevant to the prospects themselves? Are you trolling or is this a serious post?

Pretty much.

I scrolled two threads this evening. First one had someone say he wanted bozos like Hartley, Boucher or Therrien as coach. And then I see that, with nothing to support it. Reinbacher had struggles producing at first, but I've liked what I've seen from Montreal's videos recently. The rest of the draft has performed well, notably Xhekaj and Eriksson. Konyushkov and Fowler have been good as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

They put up when it matters or they go forgotten. That's the reel on HF yup.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
They put up when it matters or they go forgotten. That's the reel on HF yup.

That's definitely not the 'reel'. Whatever that means haha. I think you just need to expand your range of hobbies just a touch. These are 18-19 year old kids you're just obnoxiously calling shit, and your rationale is that they haven't produced in the NHL because they don't have a contract yet. You are a brilliant mind my friend.

I guess the 'reel' question becomes, why do you post about any draft class ever if the answer for you is that they're all shit until they're NHLers. Do you have this amount of time on your hands?

Reactions: ElQuebecois

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
That's definitely not the 'reel'. Whatever that means haha. I think you just need to expand your range of hobbies just a touch. These are 18-19 year old kids you're just obnoxiously calling shit, and your rationale is that they haven't produced in the NHL because they don't have a contract yet. You are a brilliant mind my friend.

I guess the 'reel' question becomes, why do you post about any draft class ever if the answer for you is that they're all shit until they're NHLers. Do you have this amount of time on your hands?
They haven't produced versus real pros, or players who are going to be real pros. That's the rationale.

Reactions: 417

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
IMO I will not judge till they have a season in the NHL should they make it. Every year we hear how great x players are and then 3 years later we are asking why we didn't trade them because they now have no value, then 5 more seasons go by and we see the same player still playing in the west when we got nothing in return.

So I will wait and see then wait some more. Development isn't perfectly linear. I know we had players that had a much higher ceilings that we just theriened out of them .

Reactions: vokiel

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Your rationale says that Macklin Celibrini is shit.

You cannot build a hockey team without using projections
No because Celibrini is playiing against future pros or with future pros.. Lane Hutson.

Plus he's not drafted yet....

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
No because Celibrini is playiing against future pros or with future pros.. Lane Hutson.

Plus he's not drafted yet....

Is there any prospect in the Habs system that has bigger questions about the translatability of their game than Lane Hutson? He hasn't proven anything against pros, nor does he have a pro contract, why is he an exception from your rationale? I have high hopes but there are very legitimate concerns about size/strength.

Also under your prospect theory you can't be shit if you haven't been drafted yet?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Is there any prospect in the Habs system that has bigger questions about the translatability of their game than Lane Hutson? He hasn't proven anything against pros, nor does he have a pro contract, why is he an exception from your rationale? I have high hopes but there are very legitimate concerns about size/strength.

Also under your prospect theory you can't be shit if you haven't been drafted yet?
No you can because it's not black and white.There are grades and I'm simply projecting it all in a rule of thumb: If the only positive going for a prospect is his stats in lower leagues, and he isn't signed yet: Shit. Tell us better by giving us no other choices than to sign the prospect. Lane Hutson, in my book, is shit as well. It's unfair to NCAA draftees, I admit. They can't play their league and be professionals. On the other hand, It gives them the biggest bang for the buck.

It's a way to position your takes in an angle where the draftees can not coast under the radar.

It might not be the best, but I'm just a poster on a public forum right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad