HF Habs: What are your initial impressions of the Habs 2023 Draft class?

Overall INITIAL grade?

• Total voters

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No because Celibrini is playiing against future pros or with future pros.. Lane Hutson.

Plus he's not drafted yet....

Reinbacher played with 471 NHL game pro Nathan Beaulieu.
He also played against ex-NHLers Sorensen, Kahun, Filppula, DLR, Andrighetto, Pouliot, Jensen...

Jacob Fowler also played against Lane Hutson and the same "future pros" as Celibrini.

Xhekaj played against plenty of future pros Brzustewicz, Cowan, Musty, Dvorsky.

Konyushkov played against a bunch of ex-NHLer and several high profile future pros like Michkov, Simashev, Silayev and But.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Reinbacher played with 471 NHL game pro Nathan Beaulieu.
He also played against ex-NHLers Sorensen, Kahun, Filppula, DLR, Andrighetto, Pouliot, Jensen...

Jacob Fowler also played against Lane Hutson and the same "future pros" as Celibrini.

Xhekaj played against plenty of future pros Brzustewicz, Cowan, Musty, Dvorsky.

Konyushkov played against a bunch of ex-NHLer and several high profile future pros like Michkov, Simashev, Silayev and But.

Aye, they are the hopefuls. I think we had as many in 2012. Coming back to the original argument branch.

Konyushkov is my pick as best hopeful. Next Emelin imho.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Just a little correction. All those players are pro already. KHL is pro league.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Reinbacher: Playing for a clown show of an organization in NL (3 coaches). Had to deal with injuries early in the season following a very hectic summer preparing for the draft, the draft, development camp, rookie camp, and Habs camp and then going back to Switzerland. He's not tearing it up offensively, but he is a steady defender and even though he's on a shit team, is playing top pair in one of the world's best leagues.

Fowler: What to say about Fowler, who is not far from setting a record for most wins by a freshman goalie. He's a U20, but I checked among all U23 goalies, and he's third in SV% and 6th in GAA, but the goalies ahead of him in both stats played anywhere between 12-20 games. Fowler has played 30.

Xhekaj: Showing us that he has an offensive game. He's also able to play a physical game and cause some chaos. If he's able to bring that to the pros, he will be a really difficult player to play against.

Konyushkov: It's not common for a KHL team to play a 21-year old on the top pair and put him in all situations. This is a league that has the tendency to favor vets over young players. However, Konyushkov was able to do that and thrive. And although the KHL has had a drop in talent when a lot of players left Russia after the start of the war and joined other leagues, the fact he was still able to produce as a D at his young age is a good sign.

Miller: His second year in junior, but his first year as a starter. He's a steady goalie. Nothing extraordinary, but a good prospect to have in your pipeline.

Harris: The pick in this draft I'm not 100% sold on. Although he's started to heat up lately and it's good to see, it's not enough to get me excited. He might be a late bloomer. Time will tell. But right now, meh.

Volokhin: Although it would be great to see him in the VHL (Russia's AHL), he's still in MHL (Russia's junior league). Despite the level he's at, he's dominant. He's probably too good for this level. He might never come over, but he's still someone I enjoy seeing him having such success.

Eriksson: A good player to take in the 6th round. As a 19-year old, he was a steady player in an SHL line-up. But when they loaned him to Allsvenskan, he really started to display his offense. Next step is for him to be full time in the SHL next year.

Mittlestadt: I thought he would have taken a step offensively this year, but that hasn't happened. A 7th round pick that might one day work out. If not, it's a 7th rounder, not all of them could be an Evans who carves out a full time NHL career.

Reactions: ottawa and Simarino

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It looks better now than I had anticipated....but my main idea is still there. We went needs. I can't like it. I'm positive Reinbacher will be a NHL'er. But I would have went with other picks instead. Fowler is the best value pick of them all. Miller should be a fun goalie to follow. I'm not as enthusiastic with Xhekaj or Konyushkov or Volokhin than others despite their success. Fun to watch. But I'd bet it doesn't transpired for us in the long run. And the rest are meh picks. I think that out of those picks, Eriksson was the best value bet based on the injury year he had in his draft year. But it's just a bet.

This team needs elite. The draft in itself is fun when you have quantity. But when the dust settles, you have to take 2 top 15 picks over 30 picks between the 3rd and the 7th round.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
It looks better now than I had anticipated....but my main idea is still there. We went needs. I can't like it. I'm positive Reinbacher will be a NHL'er. But I would have went with other picks instead. Fowler is the best value pick of them all. Miller should be a fun goalie to follow. I'm not as enthusiastic with Xhekaj or Konyushkov or Volokhin than others despite their success. Fun to watch. But I'd bet it doesn't transpired for us in the long run. And the rest are meh picks. I think that out of those picks, Eriksson was the best value bet based on the injury year he had in his draft year. But it's just a bet.

This team needs elite. The draft in itself is fun when you have quantity. But when the dust settles, you have to take 2 top 15 picks over 30 picks between the 3rd and the 7th round.
With the way the Habs are building, i believe there is a true strategy to build the farm, pump it full of depth.. so strong that Laval is constantly called upon throughout the season to provide support without having to make a trade.. guys who instantly slot in on 3rd/4th lines when needed..

I believe much of the drafting in the later rounds is for this purpose.. sure they all want that diamond in the rough Datsyuk in the 7th rnd, but realistically once you finish the first 2 rounds the rest is focused on farm hands.

Top 6 players are 1st rounders always, and 2nd rounders are 50/50 at best. The best teams turn those 2nd rounders into legit top 6... thats the difference in a teams success.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
out of the 20 picks the Habs have made in the last 2 drafts, 13 were overagers so the draft should look a little better earlier on then you might usually see. The biggest surprise to me is Xhekaj as a 6'4 center with some hands certainly changes things. Reinbacher's struggles likely don't mean much as he's going to play in the NHL no question.

The rest we'll see, Fowler looks great but he's on the best defense in the NCAA so it's hard to say plus his numbers aren't at Primeau's level in his Freshman year and his was in his age 18 season.

The most interesting pick could be Volokhin as I don't know why but I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do.
Last year's draft I'd say Engstrom has been the biggest surprise as he could be a huge steal as unlike Norlinder his two way game is impressive. I would say Hutson is the most interesting though if Slaf is better then I think and puts up 80+ pts then that could change things.

I'm certainly not as sold on the past 2 drafts as lots can happen so we'll see how it plays out.

Jul 6, 2016
After the four best centermen had been taken, and knowing that Habs did not want to touch Michkov with a ten-foot pole, I would had liked Hughes to trade that #5 for - that's the rumours - Askarov OR Cutter Gauthier - or move to #7(+) and grab Leonard.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Two podcasts in a row where Arpon and Godin hinted that some in the Habs organization may see Volokhin as their best goalie prospect.
I'm no expert period. And clearly less than no expert in goalie. But....I am surprised. I see his style as less composed than Fowler. Statswise, it's not like he is heads and above the other goalies of his own team. Though they've played way less than him, the other 2 goalie have a great Save% and GAA than him. Actually, there are tons of goalie who are really close to his number in that league. I count at least 15 goalies near the 25 and more games mark with a Sv% of at least .920. And there's 6 goalies drafted in that list.

Obviously he has the size that Fowler doesn't have. And the other thing...he's insanely young. An August birthdate. So let's wait and see. Clearly, kid shouldn't go back to the MHL. Let's hope at least for the VHL. Though in his team in the VHL, there's Zavragin, a Flyers prospect who does insanely well at that level.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That scout who faught tooth and nail for Fowler deserves a raise. Will never forget how much that guy believed in Fowler.

south-park-sac.gif

rare footage of Billy Ryan on his daily commute to the office

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
How did we learn about the scout and Bobrov being high on Fowler? Interviews?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Michkov must have expressed a desire not wanting to play in Montreal. He has Demidov talent. Hughes wouldn't pass on him easily.

Or he purposely gave crappy interview.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Michkov must have expressed a desire not wanting to play in Montreal. He has Demidov talent.

that was rumored.

But I can see why a team wouldn't be interested in Michkov at 5th OA and would be interested in Demidov at 5th OA (of course different years), Mickhov lacks height, plays small, not overly interested in playing D, skating isn't great from what I recall (I only saw him twice this year), not the hardest worker. Rumors about not being a team player but this is where the Habs have some advantage since Bobrov's dad works for SKA so they would know the details much better then any HFers.

Demidov while he only has a little more height, he has a frame that you hope if he can add enough mass and strength that it then projects him to have more size, better edges, more complete game. I do think he could be used at center if this happens.

So to me Michkov who I see as more of a better Caufield vs Demidov who could be in the same mold as Celebrini.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
that was rumored.

But I can see why a team wouldn't be interested in Michkov at 5th OA and would be interested in Demidov at 5th OA (of course different years), Mickhov lacks height, plays small, not overly interested in playing D, skating isn't great from what I recall (I only saw him twice this year), not the hardest worker. Rumors about not being a team player but this is where the Habs have some advantage since Bobrov's dad works for SKA so they would know the details much better then any HFers.

Demidov while he only has a little more height, he has a frame that you hope if he can add enough mass and strength that it then projects him to have more size, better edges, more complete game. I do think he could be used at center if this happens.

So to me Michkov who I see as more of a better Caufield vs Demidov who could be in the same mold as Celebrini.
Did you say this before Michkov was drafted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad