What are we gonna do about this team?

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
1st - Get a legit Head Coach (if one is indeed willing to sign here) Gallant etc. and if not available go get Daryl Sutter back!
Then and only then can real player evaluations begin, based on how they can play in a proven winning system.
2nd - Change a piece (or two) of the core. The age of this core now should be in Win-now for the next 3-4 seasons, so it doesn't matter if we get an older player for younger as long as he can be a part of the window.
3rd - No more money on D men, promote Valamaki and others, let Brodie and of course Hamonic walk away.
4th - Sam Bennett is a Centre on this team until he is no longer on this team - he must also be on at least a PP unit, found him much more effective than Tchachuk!
5th - Anyone can be Derek Ryan, don't pay for that. Trade, look for assets that can be the next Gurianov, Kirivanta (wildcards with upside) vs. stable flatliners

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Hey, what would you think of Money and Hanifin, #19 1st rd to LAK for Vilardi and #2 OA?
We take Byfield and solidify our Center spot for years!
Maybe Johnny could find chemistry with Vilardi and ? RW. Byfield could rule the 4th line Center rookie season with Looch protecting him and maybe Ruzicka or Pospisil or Gawdin step up and learn the NHL with Byfield.
3rd could be Benny-Ryan-Dubs, 2nd be Mangy-Backs-Lindy and 1st be Johnny-Vilardi-MTk?
We would need some thing of r.h shot D back, maybe Matt Roy, serviceable younger D.
Unfortunately no chance LA considers this. #2 pick is way too valuable, and no way Philly moves Sanheim or St Louis moves Parayko. I'm interested in Dumba or Myers tho if we give up enough value. Definitely won't be easy tho

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Unfortunately no chance LA considers this. #2 pick is way too valuable, and no way Philly moves Sanheim or St Louis moves Parayko. I'm interested in Dumba or Myers tho if we give up enough value. Definitely won't be easy tho
Yah, probably correct on Parayko or Sanheim.
But if trading with Philly, I would think it must start with Johnny G, from our side. Make sure if they are truly interested in Johnny, as he would likely be thrilled inside to go to his Flyers although he wouldn't show it publicly (until after being traded there and arriving home), that we get optimum back. Johnny is still our offensive guru stud, so...not giving him away easily. Then, Flames could ask for:
- Lw- Oskar Lindbom (23 yrs old and recovered, healthy for now), C prospect- German Rubtsov or Morgan Frost, and Rd- Phillips Myers

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
New coach if we can get Gallant or Laviolette. Other than that, Ward's an average head coach to me, so it's not disastrous if we keep him. Certainly better than Peters and Gulutzan, although that's a low bar.

Trade Monahan, Hanifin
Re-sign Brodie
Pray Valimaki can be our #1D
Let Gustafsson, Forbort walk
Keep Bennett as a centre
Try to sign Hall
Seriously test the market for Gaudreau

I don't see the point of hanging on to a core until the bitter end if the pieces don't mesh well together. 5 years ago the Avs were the biggest joke in the league, Vegas didn't exist, and the Hawks were a modern day dynasty. You have to be adaptive to the situation and realize that teams change a lot over the course of those years. All we've done in that time is swap in and out depth pieces to augment a foundation that seems to have gotten progressively more stale before it's experienced any playoff success.

Very good points. And, we've managed to be to the cap limit, without the right pieces or a true winning chance. Johnny and Money and Gio's time here may be up as the core very soon, and in their time in Calgary.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Eat, sleep, _oop, _ee, DRINK. Then, clean my glasses when next season preseason starts. Renew my TV subscrpition and get ready to cheer on brand new version of the Flames, again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad