What are we gonna do about this team?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
There's an old core and a new core.

It's time to transition out the old core and get a coach that use the new core as a clean slate so it doesn't feel like we're going through the same motions again.

Some guys need to have their roles drastically reduced, some have forced their way into an expanded role, some guys need to be traded away, and some guys with a different skillset need to be signed (PLEASE can we have a Dman and a forward that can shoot a one-timer to add an additional, but sorely lacked, basic layer of offense)

Status quo for this group is death. It's up to Treliving to pick the right guys to meet the 4 different criteria above. Welcome to The Retool

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Probably the most upsetting thing about the last 5 years is that more often than not, the fans have been able to predict the relative success of certain management and coaching decisions. And it seems like the right moves would not be made to correct a bad decision until mgmt/coaches were backed into a corner and forced to make the decisions.

Fans are obviously not privy to 99% of the goings-on of the organization and are more reactionary than a team's brass but there have been so many decisions made that were the equivalent of watching a train-wreck in action and waiting 9 months for a clean-up crew to come onto the scene and repair the situation.

Fivealive5

Nov 6, 2017
Flip the majority of the 2015-2020 core for pieces that improve the 2020+ core. 1-2 year retool provided the trades are good and we make a signing or two.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Probably the most upsetting thing about the last 5 years is that more often than not, the fans have been able to predict the relative success of certain management and coaching decisions. And it seems like the right moves would not be made to correct a bad decision until mgmt/coaches were backed into a corner and forced to make the decisions.

Fans are obviously not privy to 99% of the goings-on of the organization and are more reactionary than a team's brass but there have been so many decisions made that were the equivalent of watching a train-wreck in action and waiting 9 months for a clean-up crew to come onto the scene and repair the situation.

It's not hard to tell that things like signing Brouwer to a 4.5 × 4 trading a boatload of high picks for a guy to play as your #4 d man and then still signing Stone to a contract you buyout is going to turn out poorly.

I don't think Treliving is a good GM, he's also not Chiarelli or Talon bad. I don't really trust him but after seeing a post on CP about how if they hire a new guy he'll likely want to see the team for a while has me leaning towards giving Treliving one more year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's not hard to tell that things like signing Brouwer to a 4.5 × 4 trading a boatload of high picks for a guy to play as your #4 d man and then still signing Stone to a contract you buyout is going to turn out poorly.

I don't think Treliving is a good GM, he's also not Chiarelli or Talon bad. I don't really trust him but after seeing a post on CP about how if they hire a new guy he'll likely want to see the team for a while has me leaning towards giving Treliving one more year.
Yeah I think he should one more year to re-tool.

I think that the Neal contract and giving Gulutzan a 2nd complete season were ridiculous decisions that looked bad from day 1 and most hurt this team in the long-run. If Peters didn't have an out-clause with Carolina, I think Gulutzan and co would have been behind the bench for a 3rd season

Reactions: GumbyCan2 and Dack

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I find it ridiculous when fans give any sort of input on captains...like the majority of things a good leader does happen behind the scenes. Let’s not pretend we have the information to make that call

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I find it ridiculous when fans give any sort of input on captains...like the majority of things a good leader does happen behind the scenes. Let’s not pretend we have the information to make that call

we see what happens on the ice; that’s the ultimate and final reflection of leadership

Reactions: GumbyCan2

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
All I want at this point is a team leading, game changing first line center. I know that what everyone wants. Im so tired of Monahan. I dont think he is it. This team is not going anywhere with him on the front lines.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
we see what happens on the ice; that’s the ultimate and final reflection of leadership
Really?
- Interactions with media, coaches, teammates (on the bench, in the room), referees, etc.
- Pushing teammates in practice
- Etc.

Just because games are all fans see, doesn’t make that the ultimate determination of a leader. It’s a part of it for sure, but it’s just bogus to claim we’re anything close to qualified/knowledgeable enough to make those calls

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
I would consider trading mango for an equivalent RW and getting another really good middle 6 c to move Ryan to swing RW. We also can do a quantities for quality move in this same vein as well.

This also allows us to move Lindholm to C for some pretty intimidating centre talent up and down the lineup.

Hall* - Backlund -Tkachuk
JG - Mony - Ryan
Dube/Backlund/Bennett
Lucic - 4C-?

Hmm... This is a mess. May need a quality for quantity trade to fix.
bro backlund not a 1c

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I'm with you on those three.

Bennett should wear the C though. He's our emotional leader. Our Iginla. Our Messier.

Is he though? Is taking stupid penalties at the most inopportune time, being our emotional leader?

He's our Iginla, our Messier??? Are you serious?

What is the obsession with Bennett and some people on here?

How can you be the face of the team when you don't bother showing up until the playoffs??

Also, in what world is he a first-line center?

Reactions: Mazatt

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Is he though? Is taking stupid penalties at the most inopportune time, being our emotional leader?

He's our Iginla, our Messier??? Are you serious?

What is the obsession with Bennett and some people on here?

How can you be the face of the team when you don't bother showing up until the playoffs??

Also, in what world is he a first-line center?
Its literally just him and one other dude, but all they do is jerk off Bennett and sometimes Kylington. It's very annoying

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
First step: fire ward...he is just another gulutzan without a game plan
Second step: fire trevling. Decent guy but no eye for talent. This is supposed to be a defense guy and he brought us Hamonic and Hanifin lol

Let the new GM rebuild with a proper coach....there is some good pieces but no untouchable.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Its literally just him and one other dude, but all they do is jerk off Bennett and sometimes Kylington. It's very annoying
Woah woah woah!

Leave Kylington out of it. He is the chosen one. Simply decided that he's not going to take someone else's job this year, even though he can ice skate on concrete.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All I want at this point is a team leading, game changing first line center. I know that what everyone wants. Im so tired of Monahan. I dont think he is it. This team is not going anywhere with him on the front lines.
Monahan isn’t a 1C. In the same manner that Bo Horvat is Not a 1C. Swap petterson and Makar and the Canucks offense would be limited with their lack of high end C talent.

but 1C are hard to find. Don’t get moved unless it’s for a significant return.

you would need two really good 2C to get by with great wingers.

Reactions: TkachuksMouthguard

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm sorry facts annoy you, but I believe in intellectual honesty.

I think Bennett has shown us what he can and should be. I’ve always contended that his biggest issue is his confidence and believing in his abilities and then going out to execute. The Flames need Bennett to carry this over to next year and they’ll be a very different team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad