Speculation: What are the odds?

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
I prefer if we take a centreman or a tough winger like Nick Ritchie (maybe Lucic -like). We already have depth in our D prospects.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Talking about the draft in December. This must be a new record! Anyways, I only keep the pick if it's Ekblad. If it's not then I package it up for a defenseman who can help us right now

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I dunno..Getting rid of Horcoff, getting Perron, signing Gordon, Ference, Belov, are pretty good moves. The trade at the draft was a good one.
All in all a good start imp. Trying to recover from the damage Tambo did is not quick/easy..

Ference is okay gordon was a good move but both pl;ayers required a bit of an over pay. Peron good looking move so far but as I've said before it did nothing but provide us with what we already have other than a bit more grit. Belov I'd lump in with the other so so moves.

Also, What damage did Tambo do? This is the old famous shell game in use always blame the buy who was here before.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
No 3 first overall pick forwards can turn this team around when your defense is this ****ing bad:

Ference-Larsen
Belov-Petry
N.Schultz-J.Schultz

This defense is truly in the top 3 in the league for being awful.

Bottom 3? That's insulting to the other two teams. This D takes the cake as the king of the suck. Horrible managing by Mac T. I don't however believe the forwards can get off scott free for the defensive suck. Look at Jay Bouwmeester. In Calgary playing with garbage he looked like he was mediocre at best. Gets traded to the Blues (a team choked full of forwards with strong defensive play) and bam he's playing amazing. Often the finger can get pointed at the wrong players on crappy teams. Cogliano, Tom Gilbert....Reddox:yo:?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I dunno..Getting rid of Horcoff, getting Perron, signing Gordon, Ference, Belov, are pretty good moves. The trade at the draft was a good one.
All in all a good start imp. Trying to recover from the damage Tambo did is not quick/easy..

Tambo didn't DO ANYTHING. He did exactly what he said he'd do. He said he was going to sit on his hands and build up the prospect pool for a few years and he did exactly that.

Kevin Lowe signed Horcoff, Souray, traded for Pronger and Visnovsky which lead to getting Whitney. That had nothing to do with Tambo.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I have to concur. Who would be willing to give us a Ekman-Larsson or Pietrangelo?

I totally agree with you.

There might be a team out there who'd give up a decent #2 d-man for Eberle or a 1st rounder and a good #2 d-man for our 1st rounder, but we're probably not going to get any more than that regardless of what Eberle or our first rounder is actually worth.

Yes, in theory the 1st rounder is worth more because we're eating salary.

And yes, Eberle + 2nd overall should get you a good #1 d-man, but nobody wants to give those pieces up even if we're willing to overpay in such a fashion because 1st line wingers are a lot easier to come by than #1 d-men.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I feel that if we are below nyi we will get ekblad. NY is the one team i think that needs D as much as us. Florida needs more scoring. Bufflo just lol they will be taking the c calgary might take a D man but they need forwards bad as well they have no talent up front and a decent D compared to us.
Summary pretty darn high

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Who then promptly requests a trade.

Been there done that.

Established, good veteran players have NEC's. They wont be waiving them to come here anytime soon.

If I were a good, veteran player I might get an NEC myself. I think the people around the league are starting to see Lowe and Co. are a lot closer to building the next Florida or NYI than the next Chicago or LA.

Oct 15, 2008
You must be an insider &/ or an NHL scout to make such pronouncements.
And I really don't understand your apparent need to call people names, or give negative nick names. I really don't think it adds much.
But what I am curious about why you never mention the Horcoff trade (who was supposedly untradeable).I dunno, maybe you liked Horcoff and wished he would still be here. Or the Belov signing.

The Horcoff trade? Freed up some cap space so he could give a brand new Horcoffian deal and promise not to move Sam Gagner. We would have been better off trading Bumface and keeping Horcoff.

And it would seem the rest of the NHL gm's agree that Jarry and Comrie are better goaltending prospects than Brossoit since they were taken four rounds earlier than he was.

This is pretty much confirmed by anyone who has spent time watching these players.

Sadly this needs to be clarified for you since you dont have the first clue.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
I totally agree with you.

There might be a team out there who'd give up a decent #2 d-man for Eberle or a 1st rounder and a good #2 d-man for our 1st rounder, but we're probably not going to get any more than that regardless of what Eberle or our first rounder is actually worth.

Yes, in theory the 1st rounder is worth more because we're eating salary.

And yes, Eberle + 2nd overall should get you a good #1 d-man, but nobody wants to give those pieces up even if we're willing to overpay in such a fashion because 1st line wingers are a lot easier to come by than #1 d-men.

Eberle + 2nd Overall gets you a franchise defenseman, or you should be fired the next day and exiled from the league.

My god, that package would set up a franchise's offense for 10 years.

Billybaroo*

The Horcoff trade? Freed up some cap space so he could give a brand new Horcoffian deal and promise not to move Sam Gagner. We would have been better off trading Bumface and keeping Horcoff.

And it would seem the rest of the NHL gm's agree that Jarry and Comrie are better goaltending prospects than Brossoit since they were taken four rounds earlier than he was.

This is pretty much confirmed by anyone who has spent time watching these players.

Ahh, the old pejorative nickname that adds nothing. Its too bad it stoops to that level.
Horcoff was a great trade. Unfortubnatly, Gagners face got smashed in making it very difficult to fairly judge his season. Belov great signing, Perron unbelievable trade, great trading at the draft.Gordon, exactly what Oilers need more of
But Im sure there will be an attack soon ("no clue" perhaps, maybe something worse?), perhaps followed by a new nickname or 2.
Lol indeed.

Oct 15, 2008
Ahh, the old pejorative nickname that adds nothing. Its too bad it stoops to that level.
Horcoff was a great trade. Unfortubnatly, Gagners face got smashed in making it very difficult to fairly judge his season. Belov great signing, Perron unbelievable trade, great trading at the draft.Gordon, exactly what Oilers need more of
But Im sure there will be an attack soon ("no clue" perhaps, maybe something worse?), perhaps followed by a new nickname or 2.
Lol indeed.

Very difficult to judge this season?:laugh::shakehead

Well, lucky for us, we have six other seasons for which to glean enough info from to say that giving THAT player five million dollars a year is about as dumb as it gets. WORSE than Horcoff's deal.

Of course its crickets on the goalie prospect front. Best to shut up about that seeing as how you wouldnt want to dig any deeper than you already have amirite?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
While Ekblad would be sick, I'd be just as happy grabbing a big centreman like Dal Colle. The guy has 23 goals and 56 points in only 35 games and he's a 6'2 centreman. He isn't necessarily a big bruiser but he can matchup against bigger centreman than RNH and he would be a good fit long-term on the 2nd line.

Draisatl is a 6'1 centreman with some grit in his game and I see him as a good potential pick as well.

I just can't help but be depressed that I'm officially now into scouting mode. :(

Billybaroo*

Very difficult to judge this season?:laugh::shakehead

Well, lucky for us, we have six other seasons for which to glean enough info from to say that giving THAT player five million dollars a year is about as dumb as it gets. WORSE than Horcoff's deal.

Of course its crickets on the goalie prospect front. Best to shut up about that seeing as how you wouldnt want to dig any deeper than you already have amirite?

Most people who follow hockey closely would agree that goalie prospects are a bit of a wild cards in terms of development & what looks good today doesn't necessarily tomorrow.
And I would say that its just a bit early to judge MacT's trades at the draft.
And its apparently crickets on the Perron, Gordon, Belov,Ference fronts. As was the lack of acknowledgment of the Horcoff trade (apparantly some said he was untradeable. Lol).
See how this discussion can be done without the use of silly nicknames and attacks that really add nothing.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

I was hoping for Comrie over Jarry, that said, in a draft as deep as last year, trading down was one of the worst draft blunders since we got MAP! I was furious when he did that and we selected a bunch of garbage Russians.

I keep thinking we need to "blow up the blow up", trade Hall for Buffalos first pick etc. then common sense hits home and the realization that this management group would still **** it up. Every aspect of this organization is ****ed: management, scouts, coaches, etc.

Folks, this is Florida, this is the NYI, this is a ****ing nightmare that will never end. I've said it for the last 3 or 4 years, but this team has gotten the last penny out of me that they ever will. Time to get off the merry go round.

Oct 15, 2008
Most people who follow hockey closely would agree that goalie prospects are a bit of a wild cards in terms of development & what looks good today doesn't necessarily tomorrow.
And I would say that its just a bit early to judge MacT's trades at the draft.
And its apparently crickets on the Perron, Gordon, Belov,Ference fronts. As was the lack of acknowledgment of the Horcoff trade (apparantly some said he was untradeable. Lol).
See how this discussion can be done without the use of silly nicknames and attacks that really add nothing.

Is that right? Maybe the NHL scout I talked to about the two prospects and which one was the better prospect and the multiple season ticket holders who unanimously agreed that Jarry>Brossoit have no idea what they are talking about.

They should be looking to the great Billybarou, anonymous message board guy for hockey insight.:laugh:

Oct 15, 2008
While Ekblad would be sick, I'd be just as happy grabbing a big centreman like Dal Colle. The guy has 23 goals and 56 points in only 35 games and he's a 6'2 centreman. He isn't necessarily a big bruiser but he can matchup against bigger centreman than RNH and he would be a good fit long-term on the 2nd line.

Draisatl is a 6'1 centreman with some grit in his game and I see him as a good potential pick as well.

I just can't help but be depressed that I'm officially now into scouting mode. :(

Not only is Draisaitl 6'1", but he is 200lbs as well. He is a big kid. Would make a fine pick for us for sure.

Billybaroo*

Is that right? Maybe the NHL scout I talked to about the two prospects and which one was the better prospect and the multiple season ticket holders who unanimously agreed that Jarry>Brossoit have no idea what they are talking about.

They should be looking to the great Billybarou, anonymous message board guy for hockey insight.:laugh:

Oh, I dont pretend that I am all knowing.I just have an opinion & like to try to express it respectfully.
Nor do I pretend I know NHL scouts.
Or make up really funny nicknames.
Some do though, but thats not my gig.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Eberle + 2nd Overall gets you a franchise defenseman, or you should be fired the next day and exiled from the league.

My god, that package would set up a franchise's offense for 10 years.

No, it doesn't necessarily get you that. So Phoenix trades us OEL for Eberle + 2nd overall. What does that lead them with? They've still got a decent group of d-men, but they've gotta wait for Ekblad to reach his presumed potential.

They've got a competitive team that's projected to make the playoffs now. Why would they trade their MVP for a 1st line winger and a potential franchise d-man?

Franchise players more or less only get traded when they piss off their team (Thorton), are going to free agency (has happened many times before) or ask to be traded(Happens every year too).

You know when arrogant Phonix fans say they want two of Hopkins, Hall and Eberle for Oel? They're downright serious. No. Not suggesting that value is there. It's just that hard to pry a franchise d-man who's happy to play where he is away from a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad