Speculation: What are the odds?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What do you think the odds are that we end up with Ekblad?

We're 6 points behind Calgary and therefore very much last in the West.

We're 1 pont behind the Islanders, they've got a game in hand and I refuse to believe that they'll finish so low.

The Panthers are 4 points ahead of us and have a game in hand.

On a great night our d plays decent.

On an amazing night our forwards don't look like the weakest(Physically) group of forwards in the NHL.

When the defence isn't playing well, it's pretty hard for any goalie to walk away with a sweet save %.

So... not to sound too depressing... but...

Well there's no way Buffalo catches us, but I can't see Calgary giving up because they've got a bunch of fringe AHL players who realize that they've got a better chance at making bigger money playing in the NHL if they work their ***** off.

Islanders have to start clicking...

Buffalo has a ton of great d-men in their system, so I can't see them going with Ekblad.

Does this set the stage for having both Ekblad and Nurse in the NHL next year and giving Klefbom the chance to work his way into the line-up in the middle of the season?

If we don't get another vet d-man to mentor these kids, I'm going to be pretty scared.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
What do you think the odds are that we end up with Ekblad?

We're 6 points behind Calgary and therefore very much last in the West.

We're 1 pont behind the Islanders, they've got a game in hand and I refuse to believe that they'll finish so low.

The Panthers are 4 points ahead of us and have a game in hand.

On a great night our d plays decent.

On an amazing night our forwards don't look like the weakest(Physically) group of forwards in the NHL.

When the defence isn't playing well, it's pretty hard for any goalie to walk away with a sweet save %.

So... not to sound too depressing... but...

Well there's no way Buffalo catches us, but I can't see Calgary giving up because they've got a bunch of fringe AHL players who realize that they've got a better chance at making bigger money playing in the NHL if they work their ***** off.

Islanders have to start clicking...

Buffalo has a ton of great d-men in their system, so I can't see them going with Ekblad.

Does this set the stage for having both Ekblad and Nurse in the NHL next year and giving Klefbom the chance to work his way into the line-up in the middle of the season?

If we don't get another vet d-man to mentor these kids, I'm going to be pretty scared.

You're only going to be scared? You're not scared right now with this expansion-era level of suck?

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Mactavish needs to trade the pick. They need immediate experienced help not more 18 year olds not ready for the nhl.

Top two picks are never traded unless they are traded like the Kessel deal (which TO didn't think was going to be a #2 pick at the time). If we're picking high, and make no mistake we're picking high, we should take the pick and look for another Perron type deal but with a d-man.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Unless MacT actually grows some balls and makes a bold move, I think this team will move up a spot or two. Top five pick. Islanders will trade some UFAs or RFAs and so will Florida. Calgary puzzles me, they are trying to do a quick rebuild and if they get the goaltending and healthy they will move up.

TylerSVT*

Might as well trade it because I'm not convinced the next first rounder is going to sign here.

If i was an Oiler fan i would start to get worried about this.

Sure you can sign in Edmonton and likely get a big payday, but who wants to play for a team run by Lowe and company?

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
If we pick up Ekblad then in the offseason Gagner and Eberle are probably sent out for some size in the top six and a top 4 defenseman to help Nurse/Ekblad/Schultz/Klefbom along

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Eberle + 2014 1st + JSchultz for Buff and Kane!

On a serious note.

Keep the pick, reason? We will never get a top Dman otherwise. Sad but true. Maybe go after some good vets like Girardi, Markov or Phaneuf in the mean time. But if we want our Pietrangelo or Doughty then it's a waiting game.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
With the start that we've had playoff hopes were over all too quickly. Now it's Ekblad or bust. The season is a complete waste unless we draft that young man.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Depends on where we finish.

30th - 25.0%
29th - 18.8%
28th - 14.2%
27th - 10.7%
26th - 8.1%
25th - 6.2%
24th - 4.7%
23th - 3.6%
22th - 2.7%
21th - 2.1%
20th - 1.5%
19th - 1.1%
18th - 0.8%
17th - 0.5%

Right now we are 28th so assuming everything stays the same (which it won't) we are looking at a 14.2% chance of getting the first overall pick and the choice of any player we want, again assuming Ekblad goes first.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Mactavish needs to trade the pick. They need immediate experienced help not more 18 year olds not ready for the nhl.

Package the pick with Yakupov (or Eberle) and see if there's any legit top-pairing defenseman we can snatch. The D needs to be upgraded very, very badly.

Terrifyer

Oct 9, 2013
I'd be packaging the pick and Eberle (and possibly someone else, depending on who the target is) and get an elite D-man.

Oct 15, 2008
We look to be a solid lock for a top five pick.

Aaron Ekblad, Sam Reinhart or Leon Draisaitl would all be very good choices.

If you think Mact is capable of pulling off a trade of our pick+ for a top pairing established dman without getting utterly and completely pantsed by some savy gm you are fooling yourself.

Oct 15, 2008
I'd be packaging the pick and Eberle (and possibly someone else, depending on who the target is) and get an elite D-man.

Who then promptly requests a trade.

Been there done that.

Established, good veteran players have NEC's. They wont be waiving them to come here anytime soon.

Billybaroo*

We look to be a solid lock for a top five pick.

Aaron Ekblad, Sam Reinhart or Leon Draisaitl would all be very good choices.

If you think Mact is capable of pulling off a trade of our pick+ for a top pairing established dman without getting utterly and completely pantsed by some savy gm you are fooling yourself.

Great point.
He really got schooled in that Perron trade.

Oct 15, 2008
Great point.

Yes, the Perron trade is working out great, and if you completely ignore the Smid trade for magic beans, the Lolbarbera signing, the Garbagekov signing, the fact he traded Smid because he used up cap/roster space on those useless signings in order to make up for not signing for/trading for a real nhl goaltender, by signing a guy he could have signed this summer without losing any assets at all, along with his complete and utter failure to shore up our defense and add some toughness/size to the lineup, ya he's a regular Sammy Pollock.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Great point.

MacT gets the credit for not missing out on this trade, but really St Louis' trading partners were limited to a team that was not parting with allot of salary and only prospects. Yes MPS is still a prospect. Amazing how people miss this as a salary dump on the Blues part, not even close to MacT ripping off the Blues. But he gets credit for not missing out, unfortunately there may not be the need for these types of trades with the cap going up.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Team will be picking top 5, I'm fairly sure of that. Based on the fact that Seth Jones fell to 4 this year, and was regarded as a better prospect than Ekblad is(not saying I agree, but that seems to be the consensus); I'd say there's a pretty good chance.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
MacT gets the credit for not missing out on this trade, but really St Louis' trading partners were limited to a team that was not parting with allot of salary and only prospects. Yes MPS is still a prospect. Amazing how people miss this as a salary dump on the Blues part, not even close to MacT ripping off the Blues. But he gets credit for not missing out, unfortunately there may not be the need for these types of trades with the cap going up.

There will always be the need for these types of trades as long as there are teams which exist with an internal budget.

Billybaroo*

Well, Im sure the list of trading partners was a hell of alot more than 1. It was a great trade. To suggest it wasnt &/or minimize it is disingenuous (not that you were. Im just sure the usual suspects will).

Billybaroo*

Yes, the Perron trade is working out great, and if you completely ignore the Smid trade for magic beans, the Lolbarbera signing, the Garbagekov signing, the fact he traded Smid because he used up cap/roster space on those useless signings in order to make up for not signing for/trading for a real nhl goaltender, by signing a guy he could have signed this summer without losing any assets at all, along with his complete and utter failure to shore up our defense and add some toughness/size to the lineup, ya he's a regular Sammy Pollock.

You must have quite the crystal ball to determine the Smid trade (Im sure you do. Everything seems very certain).
Oh, btw, Labs, & Grebeshkov (or geez, sorry, forgot to use the very cute nicknames) weren't trades.
And I dunno, (you seem to) , was Bryz prepared to come here in the summer?
Only in some peoples world can a GM be assessed 6 months into his tenure.

Oct 15, 2008
You must have quite the crystal ball to determine the Smid trade (Im sure you do. Everything seems very certain).
Oh, btw, Labs, & Grebeshkov (or geez, sorry, forgot to use the very cute nickname) weren't trades.
Only in some peoples world can a GM be assessed 6 months into his tenure.

I said they were signings, not trades, and dumb one's at that. Lol at you for lauding a cap dump deal as some kind of "evidence" of Mact's competency.

When youve **** your pants for ten years, you dont need "more time" to prove to someone you are going to keep right on ******** them for as long as some dimwit president and jocksniffing owner are willing to allow you to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00