What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I just expect him to continue to grow, and be more consistent than he was last year.

I think asking him to be the 2nd line center the Avs really need, right now, or to take Soda's role as 3rd line defensive shutdown guy is asking too much of him. And I hope the Avs don't force those roles onto him. He needs confidence, and for things to go well this year.

Why bother having him on the team, then? If the Avs bring in an entirely new 2nd line, does that not limit his growth for the amount of the time that the new 2nd line is together? If the FO brings in players X,Y, and Z at 8 million a piece, isn't that saying he shouldn't expect to be on the 2nd line? That would also make the Burakovsky pointless.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Jost will take a big step forward this year.

That was the thought his for his first full season in the NHL, and then again heading into last year.

+_5c951f5d4bd914810ee4f11f3f68b4ff.jpg

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I agree with some others here that Jost would be better suited as a winger due to his skating. Jost seems to have some of the same confidence issues that plagued Duchene during bad stretches, but then we start winning and he comes out playing like that in the playoffs and playing like that every single game. I was itching for Jost to get more ice time early on in the Calgary series and was happy to see him get it in the second round.

At the end of the day I think Jost has the potential to be a 60 point player given a full season on the 2nd line with decent linemates, but there are just so many better options if we'd actually spend money.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
FO expectations : ROR
Avs fanbase expectations nowadays : Stephane Yelle
most likely outcome : Nick Bonino (and maybe in the wing, not as a C)

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He scored at about a 30 point pace last year; my hope would be he can crack the 40 point plateau if his ATOI is increased +2-3 minutes a night.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
That was the thought his for his first full season in the NHL, and then again heading into last year.

+_5c951f5d4bd914810ee4f11f3f68b4ff.jpg

Hahah fair enough but he was clearly rushed, another year in the NCAA would've been huge. I think that causes him to bloom a little later but it's coming

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
25 point tweener that'll keep getting tried because of his draft status

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is probably more appropriate in this thread, in response to a post about Soda being invisible while Jost thrived down the stretch:

You're sorta touching on the bigger problem that some of us have with this. Jost was playing ~13 minutes a night while looking good last postseason, whereas Soda had averaged almost 17.5 minutes a night in the regular season (only missing 2) & was still lugging over 16 a night in the playoffs; when he looked completely gassed.

Given that the primary concern with Jost is his skating, those extra minutes are likely to wear him out too and prevent him from consistently performing at the level we saw to close last season; even if he was given a linemate who could create space for him the way Boeser did in college & he does take a step forward this offseason.

...and that's before we add in how much more exhausting playing against top 6ers is than bottom 6ers, or how much harder it is to be successful against them...

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
This is probably more appropriate in this thread, in response to a post about Soda being invisible while Jost thrived down the stretch:

You're sorta touching on the bigger problem that some of us have with this. Jost was playing ~13 minutes a night while looking good last postseason, whereas Soda had averaged almost 17.5 minutes a night in the regular season (only missing 2) & was still lugging over 16 a night in the playoffs; when he looked completely gassed.

Given that the primary concern with Jost is his skating, those extra minutes are likely to wear him out too and prevent him from consistently performing at the level we saw to close last season; even if he was given a linemate who could create space for him the way Boeser did in college & he does take a step forward this offseason.

...and that's before we add in how much more exhausting playing against top 6ers is than bottom 6ers, or how much harder it is to be successful against them...
Jost's much younger though still needs more str endurance, skating but that should all come with time. with our skating coaches I think we see a nice improvement in that department along with endurance. same with JT and even Kerfoot...…

JT&Kerfoot for endurance

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Don't you think part of it is that he learned to speed up his decision making and to react more purposefully?

Incidentally, I went back and watched his junior tape. In Newhook discussion, someone compared Newhook to Jost. Jost had a lot more space because the defensemen are half as good as what he sees in the NHL. I think Newhook is a much better skater and creates space for himself better. Jost never seemed "fast".

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Don't you think part of it is that he learned to speed up his decision making and to react more purposefully?

Incidentally, I went back and watched his junior tape. In Newhook discussion, someone compared Newhook to Jost. Jost had a lot more space because the defensemen are half as good as what he sees in the NHL. I think Newhook is a much better skater and creates space for himself better. Jost never seemed "fast".

Definitely a lot more decisive in terms of his anticipation. Not as hesitant. He was more competitive along the boards and confident in using his quick stick. He still needs to get stronger on his skates. Maybe an off-season with O'Brien? But what I liked with Jost is that I still saw him developing whereas I don't with Kerfoot. And it's obvious that there's a niche on this team for someone like Jost with his particular skillset. It would be way premature to consider trading him as a add on in a trade.

Reactions: Foxtail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad