What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jost's much younger though still needs more str endurance, skating but that should all come with time. with our skating coaches I think we see a nice improvement in that department along with endurance. same with JT and even Kerfoot...…

JT&Kerfoot for endurance

Henchy's theory on skating makes a lot of sense to me...that guys who already have great technique & well developed lower bodies, are harder to make big progress with than guys who are still children physically and/or have clear flaws in their skating to correct. And that seems to be how things have played out with all of the cases I've paid attention to since I've been trying to be cognizant of that, at least with my layman's understanding of all of the technical aspects of skating.

Which is why I have concerns about Josty's skating having the room for growth to handle >23% more minutes a night without that wearing him down too.

***Not saying it can't happen, just explaining why I don't like the idea of banking on it happening.***

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't you think part of it is that he learned to speed up his decision making and to react more purposefully?

Incidentally, I went back and watched his junior tape. In Newhook discussion, someone compared Newhook to Jost. Jost had a lot more space because the defensemen are half as good as what he sees in the NHL. I think Newhook is a much better skater and creates space for himself better. Jost never seemed "fast".

A big part, but decision making slows down when you're tired, which is why the extra workload worries me & why I'd prefer to pencil Jost in just to try and replicate that form over 75+ games...giving him looks above that to see if he runs with it, but not expecting him to.

Yeah, Newhook is a lot shiftier than Jost was, so I'm optimistic on that making a big difference in his ability to create separation at the NHL level.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A big part, but decision making slows down when you're tired, which is why the extra workload worries me & why I'd prefer to pencil Jost in just to try and replicate that form over 75+ games...giving him looks above that to see if he runs with it, but not expecting him to.

Yeah, Newhook is a lot shiftier than Jost was, so I'm optimistic on that making a big difference in his ability to create separation at the NHL level.

Prime example with why EJ and Cole have been inconsistent at times. Over use when they are on their game. With defense it is easier to understand why that happens. Less options, but hey if you want to leave your forward group thin enough that you run into that problem too. Yay!

I mean we did it last year, and now we're doubling down again.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
If he becomes a dependable, consistent 3rd line guy and scoring threat on the power play I'll be more than happy with him. If we continue to see a wildly inconsistent player who's too slow and too easy to pin on the boards or knock down, I'll continue my hand wringing. I get that he's still ridiculously young but I can't help but think this is his last chance to prove his worth as an NHLer to management. This is assuming he isn't dealt in some trade to bring in a scoring forward.

Reactions: Hornstar

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Last year he was untouchable. Mid season, a whipping boy.
Hench covered him completely and if Joe thinks he's our future #2 we are f***ed. The one thing about him that drives me absolutely insane is watching how easily he loses the puck.
Another first round pick by the avs that started out with high hopes that ended up a disappointment.
Seems like makar and him are besties already so there is that.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Unrealistic (by & large).

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
If he becomes a dependable, consistent 3rd line guy and scoring threat on the power play I'll be more than happy with him. If we continue to see a wildly inconsistent player who's too slow and too easy to pin on the boards or knock down, I'll continue my hand wringing. I get that he's still ridiculously young but I can't help but think this is his last chance to prove his worth as an NHLer to management. This is assuming he isn't dealt in some trade to bring in a scoring forward.

When I see a player improve their play when given the opportunity then I going to keep feeding him minutes. Jost has upside.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I think he’ll (Jost) be a 3C for us, but can fill the 2C role until it’s taken over. Love our depth and think we have what it takes to ice two “third lines”, along with a top line 1, we really just need that secondary scoring now. For one, I think JT Compher is going to put up 50+ points and will anchor L2 for a while. His first season was a massive adjustment, last he fared much better. This year, expect the breakout

Shrink101

Jun 30, 2019
Montreal
is-too-damn-high-memegenerator-ne-the-amount-of-great-looking-40046708.png

First post.
Been following the board for a few years. Hope I can contribute to some good discussion going forward. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

On the thread : Really liked him in the playoffs, but I doubt he can sustain that kind of play for a whole season. If we can get a defensively responsible 2C for matchups, Id like to see Burakovsky + Jost as an offensive duo on the third line. Could help with their confidence and provide some secondary scoring. In the end, it's all about that elusive 2C.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Prime example with why EJ and Cole have been inconsistent at times. Over use when they are on their game. With defense it is easier to understand why that happens. Less options, but hey if you want to leave your forward group thin enough that you run into that problem too. Yay!

I mean we did it last year, and now we're doubling down again.

Or with Soda himself, who wasn't just ineffectual in the playoffs, but also made some simply dumb decisions.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
View attachment 241473

First post.
Been following the board for a few years. Hope I can contribute to some good discussion going forward. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

On the thread : Really liked him in the playoffs, but I doubt he can sustain that kind of play for a whole season. If we can get a defensively responsible 2C for matchups, Id like to see Burakovsky + Jost as an offensive duo on the third line. Could help with their confidence and provide some secondary scoring. In the end, it's all about that elusive 2C.
Welcome aboard this crazy train that is HFAvs.

Duchene 9x5 boom! ;)

Reactions: Shrink101

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
View attachment 241473

First post.

Welcome! Contribute away!

Reactions: Shrink101

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
We're not acquiring someone to play 2c. It is going to be Jost. He is going to be good, guys. We were watching the kid put it together at the end of last year and he's gonna keep going.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We're not acquiring someone to play 2c. It is going to be Jost. He is going to be good, guys. We were watching the kid put it together at the end of last year and he's gonna keep going.

We watched him look good over a limited sample size while playing 13 minutes a night against bottom 6ers. If that's all we were banking on him to provide next season, then there would be a lot less concern :dunno:

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It's interesting how Jost and Soderberg had seasons that were the inverse of each other. Soderberg faded badly down the stretch. It was like he became "old" before our eyes. Jost saw improvement down the stretch. And the playoffs?!

I mention that because everyone seems to be ignoring the end of the season when valuing the two players. Which part of the season is more relevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->