What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs need to settle into him being a 3rd line guy and allow that to develop. There just isn't enough offensive impact in his game, and that is totally okay... the team just has to settle into it.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I don't care anymore. He's not progressing and I find it difficult to name a few things he's already good enough at. I'd rather bench him than Kamenev (who's having a disappointing season as well), Wilson or any of the better guys.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don’t think he’s longed for this team. He does enough right that he’s clearly an NHL player, but a frustrating one. The offense is sporadic and he’s one of the worst centers at face-offs in the NHL - 32.7% this year, 36.6% career.

He still doesn’t turn 22 until March so you figure more is there. But he feels like a passenger on a team that’s in cup contention for the first time in 15 years.

Reactions: AvsGuy

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
The Avs need to settle into him being a 3rd line guy and allow that to develop. There just isn't enough offensive impact in his game, and that is totally okay... the team just has to settle into it.

I am guessing Jost is still well regarded by JB and Sakic and they are more patient with him than many Avs fans.

Reactions: AvsGuy

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I am guessing Jost is still well regarded by JB and Sakic and they are more patient with him than many Avs fans.

He certainly is by the front office. They keep trying to force him in over his head... happens all the time with top prospects for a team. There is a place and time to cut bait and run though before everybody else in the NHL figures it out. Might be past that here, but hard to say.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
He certainly is by the front office. They keep trying to force him in over his head... happens all the time with top prospects for a team. There is a place and time to cut bait and run though before everybody else in the NHL figures it out. Might be past that here, but hard to say.

I can see why other posters criticize Jost's play. Nevertheless, I think JB and Sakic value his defensive play whereas most see him as a black hole offensively and frankly, most of us look at offense first. Still, I don't think JB and Sakic are looking to the third line to be a scoring line. Nice when it happens but...

Some are advocating for Pageau. I haven't watched him but a 2-way player with an offensive touch would be nice.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I can see why other posters criticize Jost's play. Nevertheless, I think JB and Sakic value his defensive play whereas most see him as a black hole offensively and frankly, most of us look at offense first. Still, I don't think JB and Sakic are looking to the third line to be a scoring line. Nice when it happens but...

Some are advocating for Pageau. I haven't watched him but a 2-way player with an offensive touch would be nice.

I just don't think Jost is all that defensively either. He's not terrible defensively, but I wouldn't call him a positive contributor in that respect. That same things that prevent him from being effective offensively are also the same things that prevent him from being a standout defensively. He's a step slower than he needs to be and isn't strong enough to play the game he wants to play. He has good hockey sense, but doesn't have the physical tools to make the most of that consistently.

Reactions: klozge

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I just don't think Jost is all that defensively either. He's not terrible defensively, but I wouldn't call him a positive contributor in that respect. That same things that prevent him from being effective offensively are also the same things that prevent him from being a standout defensively. He's a step slower than he needs to be and isn't strong enough to play the game he wants to play. He has good hockey sense, but doesn't have the physical tools to make the most of that consistently.

Jost has a very active stick and is good at intercepting the pass at the blue line and neutral zone. I agree Jost isn't good on the boards and his skating is average. Regardless, I think JB and Sakic are okay with Compher-Jost and Nichushkin as a third-line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'd agree with this. Jost is solid on defense, but he's not elite or high end by any stretch.

When it comes to JGP. JGP is who you'd ideally turn Jost into as a #3C. A player who is elite defensively, but can impact offensively in spurts.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Jost’s shot is also pretty sick when he can get them off. I’m okay with just sticking him as a 3rd line C, but if ottawa is willing to trade Pagaeu for him, i’d take it begrudgingly

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jost’s shot is also pretty sick when he can get them off. I’m okay with just sticking him as a 3rd line C, but if ottawa is willing to trade Pagaeu for him, i’d take it begrudgingly

That's just it--he rarely finds enough separation to get that shot off cleanly. And unfortunately it's only "pretty sick." It's not elite by any means.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't care anymore. He's not progressing and I find it difficult to name a few things he's already good enough at. I'd rather bench him than Kamenev (who's having a disappointing season as well), Wilson or any of the better guys.

Thats a bit much. Jost has clearly been better than Kamenev and Wilson (whose no longer with us).

Jost has a very active stick and is good at intercepting the pass at the blue line and neutral zone. I agree Jost isn't good on the boards and his skating is average. Regardless, I think JB and Sakic are okay with Compher-Jost and Nichushkin as a third-line.

I would absolutely love this line.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Thats a bit much. Jost has clearly been better than Kamenev and Wilson (whose no longer with us).

Well yeah, Jost has been better than a dead man with a wrecked groin. That's not saying much. I'm not entirely certain he's been consistently better than Kamenev, if he has been, it hasn't been by a huge margin. Again, Kam is a fringe NHLer who's been ushered into regular service due to injuries. Again, that ain't saying much good about Jost.

To be honest he appeared to work well with Kamenev on that 4th line. Maybe they should just keep him there. Any time they give him a larger role he sometimes has the odd impact game, but most of the time he just disappears.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well yeah, Jost has been better than a dead man with a wrecked groin. That's not saying much. I'm not entirely certain he's been consistently better than Kamenev, if he has been, it hasn't been by a huge margin. Again, Kam is a fringe NHLer who's been ushered into regular service due to injuries. Again, that ain't saying much good about Jost.

To be honest he appeared to work well with Kamenev on that 4th line. Maybe they should just keep him there. Any time they give him a larger role he sometimes has the odd impact game, but most of the time he just disappears.

Ya, he’s not consistent enough for a top role and we have so much depth we don’t need him there. He could be a guy who chip in 15 goals on the 4th line while playing with big guys (Nuke). Honestly perfect with a guy who can’t shoot but does all the little things well

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad