What are the Blues missing?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
So what you're saying is, Bouwmeester is not a loser because he's made the playoffs playing on a much better team?

Well yes. Saying he's a loser because he didn't take some terrible, god awful Flames and Panthers teams to the playoffs on his shoulders is ridiculous.

Since he's been on a solid team he has been solid and has made the playoffs.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Being in a division in the Eastern conference. I think they'd be in the ECF if they were.

I believe this 100 percent about all 3 of the other divisions. The Central is insanity.

But it's not just the ECF. Did you see the "giants" the Ducks had to beat to get here?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I believe this 100 percent about all 3 of the other divisions. The Central is insanity.

But it's not just the ECF. Did you see the "giants" the Ducks had to beat to get here?

The Blues lost convincingly to the Wild. It's not about the teams they're playing, because the one they lost to was not a good team.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not saying that their numbers are by far better than his. I'm saying the numbers he put up versus the league average are worse than what we are doing. Fuhr wasn't a great goalie in St. Louis. He actually compares unfavorably with our carousel of goalies in numbers versus the league average. We're always near the top in goals against average now. Fuhr was 2nd in goals allowed one year in St. Louis. Does that really compare to Halak and Elliot being top 10 in GAA and Save % multiple times? Because Fuhr's numbers PER THE REST OF THE LEAGUE weren't that great while he was in St. Louis. So you're wrong.

Fuhr allowed the team in front of him to take chances on offence because they were confident he would come up with a big save if they gambled and lost- and that he wouldn't deflate if he let in a softy.

He was a winner.

Well yes. Saying he's a loser because he didn't take some terrible, god awful Flames and Panthers teams to the playoffs on his shoulders is ridiculous.

Since he's been on a solid team he has been solid and has made the playoffs.

Too bad he had to learn what playoff hockey is about as a 30 year-old: already comfortable with his skillset and with a full bank account.

Ducks Dynasty

May 11, 2015
Yeah, you would be wrong. They joined the league a few years after the Blues.

I sympathize with them, and I'm rooting for the Capitals this year. But only Toronto has been playing longer (barely) without a Cup, and they have Cups from prior to that....so I have no sympathy for them.

I thought this collection of players was good enough to be a legitimate contender, and with getting hot at the right time and a little post-season luck, this could have been their year. But I seriously doubt this group can get it done period. I think they'll have several nice seasons, but never truly threaten.

Its terrible. I'm a fan of a team that tied for best record in the Conference, won the toughest division in hockey, and I look at other teams and feel jealous of the lottery teams who are rebuilding. I think Tarasenko and Pietro are going to have fantastic careers, but I don't believe they have enough help to be able to consistently beat the top teams in the playoffs.

Maybe the Blues should try consulting with management and players on the St Louis Cardinals. And yes, I am being completely serious (just trying to think outside the box here). At least that is a team that seems to know how to win in the post-season. I know, completely different sport and all that, but worth a try imho....

And avoid the Rams as much as possible lol...

Last edited:

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Whatever the Blues are missing, the Washington Capitals are missing it , too. Both teams have literally not won anything since I was born. When you can't win with Wayne Gretzky and Grant Fuhr on your team, things are bad.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Whatever the Blues are missing, the Washington Capitals are missing it , too. Both teams have literally not won anything since I was born. When you can't win with Wayne Gretzky and Grant Fuhr on your team, things are bad.

To be fair, Fuhr got hurt that year in the playoffs, and was not in for the infamous Yzerman goal that ultimately sent them packing.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Fuhr allowed the team in front of him to take chances on offence because they were confident he would come up with a big save if they gambled and lost- and that he wouldn't deflate if he let in a softy.

He was a winner.

Too bad he had to learn what playoff hockey is about as a 30 year-old: already comfortable with his skillset and with a full bank account.

I hate the term "winner". He was a good goalie. But yeah, he won when he was on a loaded Oilers team and the Blues prime in the middle of making the playoffs for 20+. I'm not knocking him, but a lot more usually goes into winning than one guy and his attitude. He was a workhorse in 96, and I think we definitely could have won the Cup if he didn't go down. Jon F'ing Casey. But outside of that year when he was 6th in Vezina voting, he never got a vote here. He wasn't really among the elite goalies of the time, more 2nd tier. Like Miller, Halak, and you could make an argument for Elliot. Which isn't an insult, given that he was past his prime and injured pretty good after his first year in St. Louis. Now CuJo, you could make a better argument for.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

Fuhr was injured thanks to that dbag Kypreos

lotionmyfeet*

I don't see the Kings resigning Justin Williams, unfortunately too expensive. He would be a good fit on the Blues.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This is just a stupid post. Just because he was on terrible Panthers and Flames' teams doesn't mean he's a career loser.

A Flames team that made five consecutive playoffs before he joined them, and made the playoffs just two years after he left them.

He's made the playoffs every year since he was traded to the Blues.

and lost in the first round three straight years on a team that was in the second round just a year prior.

Like, trading Bouwmeester for Russell was the guy's suggestion, as if that would help at all. The Blues had Russell on their roster in 2012, and not Bouwmeester. Do you know what the result was? They were swept in the 2nd round.

Key word: 2nd round. Something Bouwmeester will never experience.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
3/2 and 4/4

Hand the cup to the Pens next season :sarcasm:

Being a little generous calling Letang Norris-quality and Fleury Vezina-quality...and of course, the players need to actually play, and play that way, for it to mean anything.

In regards to Letang also being the high-powered offensive defenseman, it is usually "in addition". Think Campbell to Keith, Niedermayer to Pronger, Rafalski to Lidstrom...

frieswithbenefits

Feb 22, 2013
Ithaca, NY
Way too many posts on here about heart and leadership. They have to stop relying on Backes and Oshie for offense. At best they are just 60 point players.

They need to get a center who can put up numbers. I don't think they have any blue chip center porspects so they'll have to trade for one. Something like Fabbri, Vannelli, and a 1st for someone like Pavelski. Stastny and Backes can play on 2nd and 3rd lines.

The top 9 would be

Schwartz-Pavelski-Steen
Jaskin-Stastny-Tarasenko
Oshie-Backes-Berglund

They are fine in regards to the defense and goalie. They should stop giving Jackman top 4 minutes.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
The Blues to me are one of those 'invisible' teams that have never done anything. It's unfortunate for them, but they seem to have nothing to celebrate in any of their history. They're not one of those teams that come to mind when you first think about hockey, they're just kind of laying in the background quietly and un-noticed. They need to come back to the old days where they can develop rivalries with the teams they used to in the 80s and 90s, I think they had more exposure back then.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I hate the term "winner". He was a good goalie. But yeah, he won when he was on a loaded Oilers team and the Blues prime in the middle of making the playoffs for 20+. I'm not knocking him, but a lot more usually goes into winning than one guy and his attitude. He was a workhorse in 96, and I think we definitely could have won the Cup if he didn't go down. Jon F'ing Casey. But outside of that year when he was 6th in Vezina voting, he never got a vote here. He wasn't really among the elite goalies of the time, more 2nd tier. Like Miller, Halak, and you could make an argument for Elliot. Which isn't an insult, given that he was past his prime and injured pretty good after his first year in St. Louis. Now CuJo, you could make a better argument for.

I notice you only chose to address my general point after I stated what Fuhr specifically allowed the team in front of him to do.

He also won the greatest best-of-3 series I've ever seen (the best hockey I've ever witnessed, in fact) despite allowing 6, 5, and 5 goals respectively.

What made him great wasn't his GAA.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Is there really even any doubt that quality #1 goaltending is their biggest weak point?

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
I notice you only chose to address my general point after I stated what Fuhr specifically allowed the team in front of him to do.

He also won the greatest best-of-3 series I've ever seen (the best hockey I've ever witnessed, in fact) despite allowing 6, 5, and 5 goals respectively.

What made him great wasn't his GAA.

THIS.

Anyone who thinks Fuhr wasn't an elite goalie is a few pucks short of a bag.

And yes, that 87 CC series was the best ever. That final rush...!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad