What are the Blues missing?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Is this corroborated anywhere? Maybe they should have another game against SLU where they treat them nicely, lol.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
They need a 1C who can drive the team offensively and serve Tarasenko. Backes can be their Kesler, but they don't have a Getzlaf...

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I just posted it because it's as good an answer as ANY other. The Blues have had SO many ALL stars and even hall of famers yet only gotten past the 2nd round TWICE in 30 years!

Just look at these All stars and/or hall of famers:

Bernie Federko
Brian Sutter
Rob Ramage
Brett Hull
Adam Oates
Dale Hawerchuk
Shayne Corson
Wayne Gretzky
Grant Fuhr
Curtis Joseph
Keith Tkachuk
Pierre Turgeon
Al Macinnis
Chris Pronger
Pavol Demitra
Wayne Babych

I only went back to the mid 80s but I'm sure I'm still missing some. You get the idea. They have had TONS of talent but they just seem to disappear in the playoffs for some unknown reason!

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I just posted it because it's as good an answer as ANY other. The Blues have had SO many ALL stars and even hall of famers yet only gotten past the 2nd round TWICE in 30 years!

Bernie Federko
Brian Sutter
Rob Ramage
Brett Hull
Adam Oates
Dale Hawerchuk
Shayne Corson
Grant Fuhr
Curtis Joseph
Keith Tkachuk
Pierre Turgeon
Al Macinnis
Chris Pronger
Pavol Demitra
Wayne Babych

I only went back to the mid 80s but I'm sure I'm still missing some. You get the idea. They have had TONS of talent but they just seem to disappear in the playoffs for some unknown reason!

Seems like those Blue teams of the early 90's and 2000's just ran into powerhouses in Detroit, Colorado and Dallas. See Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley and all the basketball legends who were denied titles by #23.

It's not a curse. It's called just not being good enough.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Seems like those Blue teams of the early 90s and 2000's just ran into powerhouses in Detroit, Colorado and Dallas. It's not a curse. It's called just not being good enough.

But that's ALWAYS been the excuse! The past 6 years Vancouver, then LA twice, then Chicago, then Minnesota for pete's sake were ALL better! You can't keep using the same excuse for 50 years. Something else is wrong!

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago
Actually, I cursed them in the late-80s... screwed up because my cruse removed my Mom's Deadwings Era cruse.

My bloodline can only curse one NHL franchise at a time. We get two NFL Franchises though. Lions and Vikings, that's us.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina

Bernie Federko
Brian Sutter
Rob Ramage
Brett Hull
Adam Oates
Dale Hawerchuk
Shayne Corson
Grant Fuhr
Curtis Joseph
Keith Tkachuk
Pierre Turgeon
Al Macinnis
Chris Pronger
Pavol Demitra
Wayne Babych

Guy known as The Great One, is also on the list

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Is this corroborated anywhere? Maybe they should have another game against SLU where they treat them nicely, lol.

The April 30th episode is still on their website! Check it out at the end of broadcast where the panel discuss the playoff curse of the Blues. Ray Hartmann said he does believe the Blued are cursed and he said the best coaches in NHL history like Bowman, Al Arbour, & Q only have a .500 winning % in the playoffs. He also said no other NHL team in the modern era has done so well during the season but so poorly in the playoffs.

The "Your Turn" segment where the fan from the 70s mentions Freddy redshoes isn't on there because that is a seperate call in show but if you contact the station I'm sure they can get it to you.

http://ninenet.org/local-productions/donnybrook

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I think the reasons for St. Louis are a bit more black-and-white than that.

Kinda like the Lions. You could argue Bobby Layne cursed them, but really they've just kinda sucked for a while.

The Blues' best players disappear in the playoffs. That simple.

A fun story, though.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The April 30th episode is still on their website! Check it out at the end of broadcast where the panel discuss the playoff curse of the Blues. Ray Hartmann said he does believe the Blued are cursed and he said the best coaches in NHL history like Bowman, Al Arbour, & Q only have a .500 winning % in the playoffs. He also said no other NHL team in the modern era has done so well during the season but so poorly in the playoffs.

The "Your Turn" segment where the fan from the 70s mentions Freddy redshoes isn't on there because that is a seperate call in show but if you contact the station I'm sure they can get it to you.

http://ninenet.org/local-productions/donnybrook

Well I meant like a newspaper article that talks about this SLU game and the possible mistreatment. A lot of stories like this tend to get misremembered over time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's never been a single NHL season in history when the St. Louis Blues stood out as the team that should win it all.

The Blues have just never been good enough. Kind of like the San Jose Sharks older brother.

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
i don't get why everybody is so shocked that they didn't do better this year. they were beaten by a good team. their young players, the ones poised to take over, played well - tarasenko, pietrangelo, etc. - and the old core that everybody seems to agree needs to be dismantled did poorly. it was a transition/breakout year, not a year where they should have been considered serious contenders.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
But that's ALWAYS been the excuse! The past 6 years Vancouver, then LA twice, then Chicago, then Minnesota for pete's sake were ALL better! You can't keep using the same excuse for 50 years. Something else is wrong!

Vancouver was a fluke year where the Blues went on a ridiculous run to even make the playoffs, they weren't a playoff team that year as they were still basically in a rebuild.
LA and Chicago are the 2 best teams in the league, especially in those 3 years.

You're right on Minnesota though, St. Louis choked against a team they should have beat. Minnesota is not a good team as they showed in the Hawks series who they really were. Ah well, I don't think the Blues will have to worry about the Wild too much because after they sign Dubnyk to a nice, long, expensive deal, he's gonna **** the bed next year just like he has his whole career.

Also to "but that's ALWYAS the excuse".... What is the excuse? That the other teams were better in those years? How is that an excuse? Only one team in the league can win the Cup and it just hasn't been the Blues yet because they haven't been good enough. How is that an excuse? You're an idiot.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Seems like those Blue teams of the early 90's and 2000's just ran into powerhouses in Detroit, Colorado and Dallas. See Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley and all the basketball legends who were denied titles by #23.

It's not a curse. It's called just not being good enough.

That's fair. We were good enough in 96 I believe, until Fuhr got injured. Then of course that friggin goal from the blue line on Jon Casey. We were flawed this year, but better than what we ended up. If you would have told me at the start of the season that we would draw Minny, win only two games in the postseason, and still be thinking about bringing Hitch back, I'd be livid.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
There's never been a single NHL season in history when the St. Louis Blues stood out as the team that should win it all.

The Blues have just never been good enough. Kind of like the San Jose Sharks older brother.

Not true. For about 2 months this season they were the best team in ALL of hockey! I'm not saying that but it was pro NHL analysts like Jeremy Roenick. Back in Feb. he favored the Blues to win the Cup. Others did too.

They were also the best team in hockey for parts of the last 3 seasons. And what about their President's trophy year? Out in round 1!

Shanaplan

May 24, 2015
They have great forward depth, great defense, and pretty good goaltending. Yet, they've lost in the 1st round 3 years in a row. What do they need to go far in the playoffs?

As Paul Pierce would say the Blues are missing "it" . That one game breaker who will single handedly win a series for you and no Tarasenko is not it yet at least

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
As Paul Pierce would say the Blues are missing "it" . That one game breaker who will single handedly win a series for you and no Tarasenko is not it yet at least

On the offensive end, Tank is there. He was tied for the lead in goals after round 1, despite playing only 6 games. He also created a number of great chances. And he was stuck with Lehtera, who played like straight trash and Schwartz wasn't exactly himself either. We didn't lose because Tarasenko wasn't better. Our ENTIRE first line doesn't show up AGAIN, Tarasenko was the only reason that resembled a series, and people are like "goaltending" and "missing a gamebreaker".....what?

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
The teams that win usually have an identity that they build around (even if it's just within a season)…something that distinguishes them from other teams. In the past few years it hasn't seemed like the Blues have had that. They are solid all around but they don't have something like a game breaker, shut down defense etc.

Usually building around that identity breeds confidence and winning… maybe Tarasenko can be the game breaker moving forward but they definitely need something to push them over the hump.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
I think that Patrik Berglund will have a ring on his finger after next season.... in which case the team the blues have traded him to wins the cup (so, forward thinking, they will be missing berglund)...

But currently, I think they are missing buy-in from Backes, Oshie, along with being trapped in the rut of their own reputation (not a curse, but the idea that people submit to how they are defined by others).

I do not agree that they are missing a game-breaker/someone who can win a series for the entire team. That is fun to think about, but is the equivalent of saying that they are missing magic. It is so easy to say that a team, a business, a band, etc. is missing 'it"... and that is so easy because it is completely vague and admits that one does not know the answer to the problem.

However, the fact the so many people have mentioned that the Blues are missing "it", or a "game breaker", or "someone who single handedly win the team a series", is proof that there is a problem. It is also proof that it is a conundrum.

The blues remind me of that puzzle on my dining room table. It is only 23 pieces, and everyone in the house thinks that we dropped a piece on the floor because nothing fits this one spot... so now, people are just cramming the wrong pieces into the wrong spots and it always looks like it fits at first. I think it's time that we find the box for the puzzle.

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
08944233-4888-4f1d-97b3-2879eb85fb96.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad