What are the Blues missing?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are of course a bunch of ways to build a contender and numerous "improvements" that could be made that would put STL over the top.

But looking more at the team STL have, I do think the big weakness is that their top guys on the blueline is not taking charge of things the way say Keith, Subban, McDonagh or Hedman have done lately.

Then I definitely think its fair to question Backes role as a top center and the center depth overall in STL. We have seen many teams be de facto contenders without having top centers lately. Boston, NYR and so forth. No matter how much guys like Bergeron, Brassard, Krejci and Stepan and co are hyped, they miss abilities a true franchise center is expected to have. They don't set up shop on a PP and get a point per game no matter what etc. BUT, more importantly, those guys don't loose match-ups intra-series. They never really struggle, and thats something thats far from a given with many of the "franchise" centers in this league.

With that said, I think both Backes and especially Statsny fall short at times here. They end up on lines that in terms of winning momentum just comes up short. And like with Backes, what he really have is a physical game. The thing is, you just gotta question how valuble that is today. Its like watching Kesler get under the skin of Chicago. Really do his job against them. But, does it mean anything? Is it valuble for Anaheim? He de facto baited Seabrook into a penalty. But I don't know, I am not saying that it necessarily isn't valuble but its like, I don't know. Is Kreuger not focused when playing because he is pwned by Kesler? Is Toews off his game because of it? Could be, could not be.

Personally, I am much more into building a team like Chicago where you have designated players with size that do the dirty work. And I mean, if you can get the top line of Anaheim, definitely don't interpret me as saying that size and physical play isn't valuble there. It is of course. But I just think the ability to play a good game of hockey tops anything else on your good players. Backes is pretty averge in that area to be perfectly honest. Pretty avg. You know if a team like EDM was willing to deal like Draisatl, I definitly make Backes available if I where STL.

Last edited:

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
NBC sports is now saying Hitch is coming back. MANY fans are going to be REALLY pissed. He clearly can't prepare this team for the playoffs.

12-24 in his last 36 playoff games is a .333 winning percentage. That won't win a single playoff series. Hitch is 1-7 in his last 8 playoff series going back to Columbus.

Incredibly dumb move.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Guys who have the balls to dig deep and find ways to score no matter how tight checking it is out there. Maybe it's a lack of intensity or an unwillingness by some of the Blues top guys to be able to step their game up when the opposition does. The best thing to honestly do is start putting guys on the trading block. Its obvious this group of forwards don't have "it" and its time to bring in guys who do

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
The one big thing, on the ice, that the Blues are missing that every contender has is speed. The Blues just don't skate hard and fast enough to take the opposition's blue line. They also don't slow the other team down enough and the other team usually ends up getting cleaner zone entries while the Blues are dumping and chasing. It's a recipe that will never get a team through 4 playoff series.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
There are of course a bunch of ways to build a contender and numerous "improvements" that could be made that would put STL over the top.

But looking more at the team STL have, I do think the big weakness is that their top guys on the blueline is not taking charge of things the way say Keith, Subban, McDonagh or Hedman have done lately.

Then I definitely think its fair to question Backes role as a top center and the center depth overall in STL. We have seen many teams be de facto contenders without having top centers lately. Boston, NYR and so forth. No matter how much guys like Bergeron, Brassard, Krejci and Stepan and co are hyped, they miss abilities a true franchise center is expected to have. They don't set up shop on a PP and get a point per game no matter what etc. BUT, more importantly, those guys don't loose match-ups intra-series. They never really struggle, and thats something thats far from a given with many of the "franchise" centers in this league.

With that said, I think both Backes and especially Statsny fall short at times here. They end up on lines that in terms of winning momentum just comes up short. And like with Backes, what he really have is a physical game. The thing is, you just gotta question how valuble that is today. Its like watching Kesler get under the skin of Chicago. Really do his job against them. But, does it mean anything? Is it valuble for Anaheim? He de facto baited Seabrook into a penalty. But I don't know, I am not saying that it necessarily isn't valuble but its like, I don't know. Is Kreuger not focused when playing because he is pwned by Kesler? Is Toews off his game because of it? Could be, could not be.

Personally, I am much more into building a team like Chicago where you have designated players with size that do the dirty work. And I mean, if you can get the top line of Anaheim, definitely don't interpret me as saying that size and physical play isn't valuble there. It is of course. But I just think the ability to play a good game of hockey tops anything else on your good players. Backes is pretty averge in that area to be perfectly honest. Pretty avg. You know if a team like EDM was willing to deal like Draisatl, I definitly make Backes available if I where STL.

Bolded is wrong. Pietrangelo was series MVP and Shattenkirk got 8 points in the series.

Bouwmeester had a meh series (and season for that matter), but even if he was on his game he wouldn't be that guy that carries play/takes charge. When he's on, you hardly notice him in a good way.

I agree with most of your other points, though. I really like the idea of going after Draisaitl.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
The one big thing, on the ice, that the Blues are missing that every contender has is speed. The Blues just don't skate hard and fast enough to take the opposition's blue line. They also don't slow the other team down enough and the other team usually ends up getting cleaner zone entries while the Blues are dumping and chasing. It's a recipe that will never get a team through 4 playoff series.

THAT is entirely true. The whole Minny series was frustrating because they were so much faster than us. It was embarrassing watching us try and dump and chase against their speedy defense. At that point, you just call them turnovers. And they had clear entry after clear entry. We lack a lot of balls to get into the zone too. Guys really are content to just chip and run. And I do think that is a lot on Hitch. Which is completely embarrassing that we're bringing him back.

The top defensemen? Again, who are these people knocking the guys who PLAYED WELL THIS SERIES??? 80% of our team was sleepwalking out there, and people are trying to nitpick the guys who played well. Just stop. People are always trying to knock Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo down a peg, but Hedman and Keith are playing with unreal offensive lines right now. There's no comparing the two. Put Shattenkirk out there with the triplets and he'd look great too. I'm not knocking Hedman, but it's kinda silly to comparing the two when all four teams left have at least 2 great lines, and we didn't even have 1 good line. Our best line had Lehtera playing horrible and Schwartz playing average hockey, below his game level.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Our defense is overrated and our 1st and 3rd lines are horrible in the playoffs. Including Stastny, who was a monster against Minnesota last year. Which makes me think Hitch is the problem.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Two things.
1) Solid goaltending. It simply has not been up to par come playoff time.
2) Get rid of the biggest loser in hockey, Jay Bouwmeester. The guy's game regresses the more pressure he faces. It has been that way his entire career.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
NBC sports is now saying Hitch is coming back. MANY fans are going to be REALLY pissed. He clearly can't prepare this team for the playoffs.

12-24 in his last 36 playoff games is a .333 winning percentage. That won't win a single playoff series. Hitch is 1-7 in his last 8 playoff series going back to Columbus.

Incredibly dumb move.

It already has...

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

The bolded is so unbelievably incorrect. The fact people think our defense is the problem in this thread is insanity.

The rest is pretty well said. Should stick with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad