What are some of your favorite HF contradictions?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Draisaitl is both the best and the worst passer in the league.
Draisaitl next contract thread - He is going to get 13m/8 years and Edmonton can't afford it. But xxx team can!
Draisaitl trade thread - he isn't worth much because he's a power play merchant and an average player at best without McDavid

Reactions: Duke74 and Czechboy

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Player A: good stats, 11 mill per year: - great deal, great value
Player B: good stats, 11 mill per year: - over-payment, awful deal

Dude T: We are an elite team, great season for us. Lost 4-3 in the first round. It was a few bounces away, but we could have gone all the way.

Dude E: Good season, went all the way to the finals but lost

Dude T: You suck, didn't win it all

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Some good ones in here. Though I think sometimes it's actually different people espousing the opposing viewpoints, but who are attached by something (nationality/fandom).

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
A player you like records a secondary assist - a point is a point!

A player you dislike records a secondary assist - secondary assists are meaningless! They're just statistical noise. Even primary assists are overrated!

====

An old player does something difficult (ie Doug Harvey wins seven Norris trophies) - that's proof that they played in a weak era. There's no way something like that could happen today! There's too much talent and parity!

A modern player does something similarly difficult (ie Nicklas Lidstrom wins seven Norris trophies) - that's proof of the player being dominant!

====

You can't compare scoring stats from today to the 1980's or early 1990's because the league is much higher scoring. Crosby and Ovechkin, for example, were far more dominant than Yzerman and Messier, despite similar scoring totals. You need to consider the scoring environment!

Hasek has a much higher save percentage than Roy! It's totally valid to compare the save percentage of one goalie who peaked from 1989 to 1992, to the goalie who peaked from 1997 to 1999!

====

Sidney Crosby didn't deserve his Conn Smythe in 2016 because a teammate outscored him by 3 points! It's a lifetime achievement award bestowed upon him by the biased Canadian media!

Alex Ovechkin completely deserved his Conn Smythe in 2018! Who cares that a teammate outscored him by 5 points?

====

When your favourite player doesn't lead the league in goals (points) etc: No, you can't look at the stats! They're misleading. The only fair and accurate way to evaluate a player is to look at primary points, per 60 minutes of ice time, at even strength, excluding EN situations, on Tuesday night road games.

When your favourite player is leading the league in goals (points) etc: He won the Rocket Richard trophy. LOL haters! Don't use your fancy stats to downplay him.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
"McDavid is screwed getting drafted by Edmonton! They are such an inept organization that nobody can win there. He would be justified in refusing to play for the Oilers!"

"The arguments for McDavid being better than Crosby are meaningless because Crosby is a much better winner than him."

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
The never ending misunderstanding, misrepresentation, or misapplication of "statistics" and constant contradictions. Probably the most straightforward example:

Many of the same people that endlessly cite numerous possession metrics as the be all end all of hockey simultaneously say faceoffs are 100% irrelevant. How do you get possession after a dead play again?

Reactions: Homesick

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
"McDavid is screwed getting drafted by Edmonton! They are such an inept organization that nobody can win there. He would be justified in refusing to play for the Oilers!"

"The arguments for McDavid being better than Crosby are meaningless because Crosby is a much better winner than him."

Similar to the Lundqvist arguments.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
I guess I should have said multiple MAJOR individual awards. Because multiple major individual awards give you lifetime financial security. The average salary is 3.4 million. The superstars mostly all make200 or 300 percent more. A Stanley cup is not a negotiating tool Players contract is up. No Gm says to agent " your guy won a cup 2 years ago so he is due for a big raise " So when Mcdavid retires he can fly to Aruba on his private jet. Faloon will be flying commercial first class. I am sure mcdavid will trade places with Faloon and his 4 cups
ps..that first statement. Do not understand what you are referring to . I said trade places with a player not trade cups

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
As an Avs fan, I always saw the argument that one player only performs at their level because of who they get to play with. Which is fair, but that same argument gets used against every Avalanche player and it becomes a circular argument.

"That player isn't as good as they appear because they get to play with other really good players, but those other players aren't actually as good as they appear because they also get to play with other really good players."

"Leafs are overrated lololololol. They'll compete with Buffalo and Ottawa for a playoff spot"

"Leafs choke again lolololololol"

I don't think that's so much a contradiction as it is people wanting to mess with Leafs fans who think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
fans who claim they are experts on other teams players, (bull shit)

when in fact they are just youtube and highlite scouts.
Hanging around on other teams' boards reinforces how little I (we?) know about those teams. Conversely ...

"You don't have a clue about player X. Maybe you should try watching the games."

Only watches his own team's games.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The JT Miller Trade?

Everyone freaks out when teams trade first round picks or the thought of even trading said pick doesn't seem to fit well with people.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If your favorite player is amazing/the main driver on a shitty team, he's truly amazing and life's just unfair

If your favorite player is amazing/the main driver on a great team, he's just an overrated passenger

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
People clicking on a trade proposal thread on a FAN FORUM and then angrily stating that someone "isn't the GM for that team and what they say doesn't matter".

Reactions: Czechboy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
"An early 2nd is basically a late 1st"

"A late 1st is an early 2nd"

There are jackasses here who might trade the 26th OV for the 34th OV.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
The superstar on my favorite team is incredible and has zero help from his teammates; he's constantly dragging them singlehandedly to victory.

vs.

Why is every player on my favorite team so underrated? The superstar couldn't do what he does without their contributions!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I thought of another one I see often on the main boards:

- Fan base are trading a player, they claim he will return "x" (example 1st rd pick), will arguing for days the player will 100% return a 1st vs other fan bases.

- Player is eventually traded at 50% retention for a late 1st, the original fan base claims they were right and the player returned a 1st like they claimed he was worth while conveniently ignoring the 50% cap hit stipulation.

- Here's the thing with that, while the player returned a 1st, it was at half his current cap hit........so the player didn't in fact return a 1st. The player with 50% of his cap hit reduced returned the 1st. Huge difference between one the fan base claimed vs in reality what happened. I see this situation happen constantly on the main boards trade forum.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad