What are some of your favorite HF contradictions?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
"If it wasn't for injuries, sickness, unlucky circumstances, XXX would have so much hardware and greater legendary status."

"Everyone talks about how great YYY is. How come he's not producing much right now?"

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Team's PDO is unsustainable. It will regress to the mean.
Said Team finishes the year near the top of the league with a high GF/GA differential and their PDO is also high.

Original 6 team era was the best era and we should go back to that. No more expansion.
Coaches don't stick around for 20 years playing the same formula, athletes are paid better and don't have to get jobs in construction, athleticism is way up, players stopped smoking and work out off the ice, including lifting weights which was at one time considered cheating, scoring, goalies play with masks, players can play from the age of 18-40, the league makes billions of dollars a year, teams aren't so dependent on ticket sales with large media contracts, innovations in new skills, the return of the rover, stick handling goalies, the butterfly universal, break out plays, 20,000 seat arenas, less corruption being under the microscope, great players aren't sent to the minors because of politics, europeans, etc.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Team loses despite outshooting opponent.

Fan X: "We didn't really lose to that team. We're a much better team. We just ran into a better/hot goalie."

Team wins despite being outshot.

Fan X: "I mean, the goalie is part of the team. You can't separate the goalie from the overall performance of the team."

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
"Regular season success doesn't matter."

It's 82 games from October to April. Having watched both a miserable regular season product and a good regular season product, it's a lot harder to sit down and watch a game on an average Saturday night when you're expecting them to lose or be blown out.

I agree wholeheartedly, add to that "Matthews winning the rocket or McDavid winning the Ross doesn't mean anything, only cups matter". Only 1 team goes home happy at the end of the year, if you can't enjoy and celebrate your favourite team/players regular season accomplishments then what's the point of watching?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Bias, just makes me shake my head how fans claim bias for or against so often and seem to really believe that nonsense. Refs, Player Safety, Draft, etc. Good lord the tinfoil hats, scares me what they (especially considering likely most adults) might believe regarding the rest of the world outside of sports. Really is mind boggling to me, I assume it’s just a coping mechanism for when sports fans hate calls/decision against their team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
In a trade return, 16th overall and 32nd overall are exactly the same thing. They’re both 1sts. No difference. But the difference between 32nd overall and 33rd overall is massive.

to be fair that's probably not as wrong as it should be

like obviously it's a contradiction in terms of the actual player you get but GM careers tend to be pretty short and optics matter a lot

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
HF " this player is a certain amount of goal scorer, or a ppg player" despite never doing it. Well he was on pace for ? On pace for means f***ing nothing.

Teams losing in the shootout get a loser point !

Nah, you always got a point for making it to ot (since 2000ish), the extra point awarded comes from a shootout win, as before games that finished tied after ot, both teams got 1 point each. You crying over the extra point isn't given to the team that lost in the shootout, but the team that won did.

The refs are against us ! But you never see people saying the refs are playing favorites towards their team...

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Probably not exactly what OP is asking for, but anyway:

"Bettman hates Canada!"
"Bettman would do anything for the Coyotes!"
"The lottery is rigged!"

2015 lottery: Oilers win, leapfrogging the Coyotes to draft McDavid.
2016 lottery: Leafs win, get to draft Arizona native Matthews.
Apparently Bettman helped keep the Oilers from moving in 98 and the Sens similarly in the early 00s. But you know what? The Leafs are one of the darling cash cows of the league. The Oilers getting 3 picks in a row doe.......mind you one of those was Yakupov.
"Regular season success doesn't matter."

It's 82 games from October to April. Having watched both a miserable regular season product and a good regular season product, it's a lot harder to sit down and watch a game on an average Saturday night when you're expecting them to lose or be blown out.
Thing is the NHL is pretty notorious for there seemingly always being 1-2 scrub regular season teams having deep playoff runs and I think that's where that mantra comes from. But I'll never forget the Ducks-Flames-Oilers Cinderella Trilogy and then finally Kings did the 8th seed to Champs run.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Probably not exactly what OP is asking for, but anyway:

"Bettman hates Canada!"
"Bettman would do anything for the Coyotes!"
"The lottery is rigged!"

2015 lottery: Oilers win, leapfrogging the Coyotes to draft McDavid.
2016 lottery: Leafs win, get to draft Arizona native Matthews.
2015 is when I stoped thinking the lottery is rigged. No way the league wanted oilers to get another 1st overall. Then the following puts the nail in the coffin if there was still doubt.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It is impossible to hit a shorter player without hitting his head first
It is impossible to hit a player going North - South without hitting his head first

In fact, shorty players have it made in the sun in the NHL as they can just skate with their heads down and no one will touch them.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
"I want this player traded to my team, oh btw he's a garbage player with zero value"

In the off-season, I proposed a goalie to Ottawa for Mads Sogaard as a base. Many of the commenters on the team's board stated Sogaard's poor stats as a reason they didn't want him. I replied saying context matters (Example: He's on a crap team), and they should know that better than anyone seeing as their goalie has poor stats as well. The message was supposed to be "If stats are all that matters - then clearly your goalie sucks - which I don't believe he does - thus me wanting him". Instead of understading/accepting the clear parallel, I got flamed by a bunch of enraged fans for claiming to want their goalie despite saying he sucks. I never personally claimed he sucks. I suggested they must think he sucks, based on their own criteria. Logic 1-0-1, which is often thrown out the window on here. lol

I mention this because i've seen it a millon times, and above is just a single example off the top of my head. I don't think people ever truly claim the player they want sucks - but people often do misconstrue things that are said, in an effort to not look stupid.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Posters negotiating fake trade deals like its for real and getting legit upset.

It may be funny/annoying/stupid etc... but I don't believe this to be contradictory.

Edit:
Many of the replies in here are just like yours, so I apologize for singling you out. Yours just happened to be the first one I read, that wasn't an actual contradiction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad