What’s your unpopular hockey opinion?

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
There should be more players like Semin, and less players like Crosby.

IMO Hockey entertainment died a little bit and will probably never be the same again, when this soft, but weirdly stubborn and unique wizzard and ubersniper lost his legs, back, wrist and consequently the ease in his game.

There's nobody around anymore to dare to show us how hockey could be played alternatively.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Personally I find the idea that players literally need to be able to beat each other up to prevent each other from trying to injure each other really bizarre. Maybe I’m missing some nuance to it but all the other sports seem to function well without having players try to beat each other up to “police each other”.

Also every time I see a “this is why hockey players are special” over a hockey player doing something nice to a fan or a charity or whatever I kinda cringe. Like yeah it’s a great thing I won’t take that away. But I honestly see football players (don’t follow mlb or nba) doing the exact same stuff just as much.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2. I would rather get rid of divisions and just have two conferences.
Top eight teams in each conference make the playoffs. I think
the current playoff format is over complicated.
Don't think this is unpopular.

But I guess that also means you're probably right.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
The Arizona Coyoyes, the Florida Panthers, the Carolina Hurricanes, the Ottawa Senators and the NewYork Islanders should be relocated (or just shut down).
I'd try to keep Arizona in Phoenix if they can get a good owner and downtown arena, but yes to the others and you can add WInnipeg too.

I don't personally wish that on Ottawa or Winnipeg to happen, but if it does, I wouldn't argue it.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
So, are you telling me that the Leafs don't have fans that live outside of Toronto?

This was his trip-up. I live outside Toronto.
I met about 30 fans this past week here.
Over a month ago, I met a whole bunch in Cambridge.

There there are the coast to coasters, who a residuals of when they were in the original six.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I can't find agreement with my contention that the Bruins are too old to get to the SC finals in 2020. The Blues showed them up. Fasten on Chara, Bergeron,, and Krejci who date back to the last century, and Marchand I particularly like the last few Hab draftees, such as Poehling, Caufield, Rrimeau, and Struble. The only new contender is Florida, which will surely displace Boston.

I'm with you.

Teamplaya

Aug 9, 2013
Pasadena, CA
I know. But no one knows what San Jose is. San Francisco is the popular and famous city. It's all the same area anyway.

Christ on a bike... So with this in mind, how do you feel about Raleigh, Anaheim, Sunrise, Columbus, or even Edmonton or Calgary? Do we fleece stable, competitive markets depending on whether people can point them out on a map? What counts as famous? On top of that, Getting to SF from SJ is probably an hour in the very least, and that's just getting into the city. And yeah, what if they don't know? Why rip a franchise away from a large, stable market for a smaller one that's more famous, will more people come to the famous city? Your logic is obtuse. Those of us in the South bay love our hockey, and are glad to support the franchise, regardless of whether our city springs to peoples minds right away.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know. But no one knows what San Jose is. San Francisco is the popular and famous city. It's all the same area anyway.
There's like 11 (or whatever we're up to now) sports franchises in the New York metro area and only the Rangers and Knicks play in what people think is "New York".

This is a non-point.

There's zero reason to relocate a successful team in a nice arena to different arena.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Oh, also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with tanking, just let the worst team pick first, and it doesn't need to be "fixed."

Connor McDavid is due as a prospect at the 2020 draft.

There is no lottery - worst team gets him.

Can you imagine all the crazy that would happen this year?

At least a lottery is a bit of a failsafe

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
5v5 points are completely meaningless to me.

If Ovechkin scores 80 overall points and it includes 60 power play points, and if Matthews scores 78 overall points and it includes 20 power play points, all else being equal give me Ovechkin > Matthews, since 80 > 78. What's the difference? A point is a point.

Also - p/60. Again almost completely meaningless.

If Matthews scores 75 points playing 15 mins, and McDavid scores 100 points playing 20 mins. You can't say "p/60 is equal, so they're equal". No. Because the truth is - if Matthews gets bumped up to 20 mins a game, he won't score 100 points. Will he score more than 75? Sure. Maybe 81? 82? maybe 85? Similarly - if McDavid is bumped down to 15mins a game - he won't go down from 100 points to 75 points. Will he score less than 100? Sure, maybe. Maybe he ends up with 97, or 94. But not 75.

ps - just using names and made up number to explain my point - not meaning to pick on any players.

Reactions: Eisen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad