What’s your unpopular hockey opinion?

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Petterson is overrated to a nauseating extent. I have only seen him vs Panthers, and highlights. Watch those games and tell me what you see. Reminds me of Laine. He deserves the hype if he hits 100pts next season because that's the caliber of hype he's been receiving. Anything less than 82 and this circle jerk is ridiculous.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
There should be no revenue sharing

There should be 2 tiers with promotion and relegation

Coaches challenges should be eradicated

Matthews is a top line player

Rielly is a top 4 dman

Tavares can still play in a team's top 6

Get rid of 5 teams

Draft order should be random each year regardless of standings

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
While I'm patriotic and a fan of all Canadian teams, Winnipeg should not have a team and thank God Hamilton didn't get one. Neither should Buffalo. Carolina needs to be in Charlotte and Sharks in San Fransisco. We can do without Anaheim too. Having these small market teams kind of cheapens NHL's image.

San Jose is the 10th most populated city in the United States of America.

Teamplaya

Aug 9, 2013
Pasadena, CA
While I'm patriotic and a fan of all Canadian teams, Winnipeg should not have a team and thank God Hamilton didn't get one. Neither should Buffalo. Carolina needs to be in Charlotte and Sharks in San Fransisco. We can do without Anaheim too. Having these small market teams kind of cheapens NHL's image.

The irony here is that San Jose is the 10th largest city in the country, yet you want the Sharks moved to the 15th largest one for the sake of getting rid of small market teams? Hmmmmm

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Petterson is overrated to a nauseating extent. I have only seen him vs Panthers, and highlights. Watch those games and tell me what you see. Reminds me of Laine. He deserves the hype if he hits 100pts next season because that's the caliber of hype he's been receiving. Anything less than 82 and this circle jerk is ridiculous.
That why you watch more than 2 games. Pettersson and Laine are nothing alike.

Reactions: eviohh26

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Calgary and Tampa don't have 'mental fortitude' or 'playoff grit' issues as much as they have coaching issues.

Cooper is a good coach not a great one. I'd put him just below Maurice on a list of coach tiers, above average but not good enough to make a team into a champion.

Bill Peters though is awful, I've written about it quite a bit on here about how his system exposes goalies by not challenging the shooter (every goalie but one posted career worst numbers under him) among many many other complaints I have of his system. Even with better goalies, I think Calgary has seen their best hockey under Peters and will get knocked out quickly in the first round again.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Also I feel offsides need to be changed. I go back and forth on whether to eliminate them or not but definitely the less whistles in a game, the better and offsides is one of the harder ones to explain to casual fans.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Ottawa is a non-hockey market and had only seen success due to the large amount of Habs fans and Leafs fans living in the city. Now that the Leafs are on the rise, those fans will shift back to the Leafs and now that the Habs are better than the sens, those fans will shift back to the Habs.

As bad as Melnyk is for the Sens, Habs & Leafs fans have been keeping this franchise alive and now that those fans no longer financially support the Sens, their attendance and revenue will drop like a lead balloon (hence the extremely poor attendance lately and multiple non-sellout playoff games).

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I don't have a problem with Bettman nor the lockouts, in fact every CBA I always hope the league/teams get as much as they can and hold out until they get it.

Sucks to have no NHL hockey for a long time, but it makes the game better IMO when the owners get their way.

It is definitely better when the billionaire owners get to keep more money in their pocket yes

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Calgary and Tampa don't have 'mental fortitude' or 'playoff grit' issues as much as they have coaching issues.

Cooper is a good coach not a great one. I'd put him just below Maurice on a list of coach tiers, above average but not good enough to make a team into a champion.

Bill Peters though is awful, I've written about it quite a bit on here about how his system exposes goalies by not challenging the shooter (every goalie but one posted career worst numbers under him) among many many other complaints I have of his system. Even with better goalies, I think Calgary has seen their best hockey under Peters and will get knocked out quickly in the first round again.

This is a good one. You don’t fail miserably like they did after the regular seasons they had because of a lack of “mental fortitude” or “playoff grit”. Those teams were systemically exposed and their coaches couldn’t adapt.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Nobody should be "untouchable". If you assume your player has a rating of 94 and you get back a package that is worth a 96 rating, you do that trade. Even if that means you have to trade McDavid or any other superstar. Cause franchise success > single player love.
I think most fans are really stupid with their thinking here.

Reactions: bobholly39

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Draisaitl is a low end 1st line/high end 2nd line center (25th - 35th) when he is not riding shotgun to McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad