What’s your unpopular hockey opinion?

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
Gretzky wouldn't come close to his point totals and wouldn't even lead the league by more then 10 points a year

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
The HHOF inducts too many members and they’re really starting to reach now.

The game has been neutered and is harder to watch each passing year.

The NHL should play on larger ice surfaces, somewhere between what they have now and international size.

The US will overtake Canada as a hockey power within another decade or so

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Cherry picking would actually slow up the game. It would force defensemen to play way back, kind of how hockey on the big European ice surface is slower paced and more boring than the North American smaller surface rinks.

Nah, players still have to play team D. I can't see it happening. If players cherry pick all game, the other team is essentially on a power play all game. I feel it would open up the neutral zone a lot more and eliminate the 1-3-1 nonsense that some teams use which really slows the game down.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Nah, players still have to play team D. I can't see it happening. If players cherry pick all game, the other team is essentially on a power play all game. I feel it would open up the neutral zone a lot more and eliminate the 1-3-1 nonsense that some teams use which really slows the game down.
I don't think you'd wind up with a power play like scenario because the other team is going to have someone back watching the cherry picker. And a game of just flinging the puck down the ice to a teammate waiting in the offensive zone would be very boring.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think you'd wind up with a power play like scenario because the other team is going to have someone back watching the cherry picker. And a game of just flinging the puck down the ice to a teammate waiting in the offensive zone would be very boring.

For 90 percent of the play, you wouldn't need to cheat a d back. You'd just make safe passes and keep possession and the cherry picking guy wouldn't be a worry. Run the play from the guy at the point (who has more room to work), if there's a battle on the corner the point man just cheats back to half to prevent the long pass and if your team wins the battle, he just resumes his role where the blue line would have been. If the cherry picking guy doesn't come back, his team will be pinned in their end for minutes at a time and is getting scored on in droves.

I mean, in today's game you don't see guys cheating back and playing on the blue line cherry picking. D will always be a priority.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
- Shootout goals should be add in players’ goals total/individual stats

- I would give two bonuses points when a player scores a Hat trick

- I would also give one bonus point when a player has 4 assists

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The offside rule in hockey is moronic. Why does the puck need to cross the blue line entirely when entering the zone, but it then again needs to cross the blueline entirely when exiting the zone? The blueline is both in and not in the zone.

And there shouldn't be a forbidden zone in the first place, it should be based on the players position on the ice. If the opposing team has 5 players back, but you have one attacking player in the offensive zone before the puck, it's an offside? Even if there are still defenders between him and the goal? Nah. That's dumb.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Get rid of center ice faceoffs except in the case of the rare blown play in or about there.

Give the puck behind the net to the home team at the start of periods one and two, and the vistors for period two.

The team that is scored against also gets the puck behind the net. The opposition must clear the zone and either wait till the team brings it of the blue line or must rush to the red line or their own blue line.

The team on a power play starts it from the red line, and the team on the kill must start from behind their own blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->