We've fallen and we can't get up. 18/19 MGMT thread VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The fact that Gillis had the foresight to call for a rebuild after a Presidents' Trophy season is remarkable. Sure some fans may say "this team is done", but when has a team ever started selling off everything to rebuild in the summer after a Presidents'?

That alone would make me come crawling back to Gillis from me clearly being wrong.

Even Torts called for a rebuild, calling our core stale, in 2013.

Reactions: Jack Burton

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
It's actually comical.

Had they went full-rebuild when Gillis wanted, the Canucks would probably have been on the upswing before the Sedins even retired.

Maybe seeing a team on the rise would have convinced them to stick around one more year too.

The standings would have been damn near identical as well... with 2 to 3 times more prospects today.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
To be fair, it was the following year that he apparently approached ownership. Still with a team at the top of its division, though.

(By comparison, look at how gaga this administration went over a dead-cat bounce in 2014-15, declaring itself a 100-pointer the following year).

I don't think this is true. It was reported he brought it up after the SJ loss but was told no. Then after 2014 he said in the media he's going to build the team how he wants, essentially giving an ultimatum and he lost.

That was in the middle of a bad season though where it was more apparent, although almost everyone had career low years.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I don't think this is true. It was reported he brought it up after the SJ loss but was told no. Then after 2014 he said in the media he's going to build the team how he wants, essentially giving an ultimatum and he lost.
That's what I'm saying – the SJ loss was 2013. The second President's Trophy was 2012, though.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

While it may have been true in general I don't think Torts deserves any recognition or to be held as a position of authority here. He may have been our head coach for a season but he really just took Aquilini's money and bolted, he never invested himself in the team here and only did the bare minimum requirements for the job.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
I can't help but think Benning and Linden definitively wasted the Sedins' final years here through their total and utter incompetence and ruined any chance of being competitive before they retired. Had a retool been executed probably, there's at least a chance we would be not only much younger but actually good and on the rise again by this point. Plus this may have had the added effect of convincing them to stay another year to try and win the Cup, even if they have to play on the 4th line like mentioned above.

With what we went through the past 4 years, we've had zero chance at being competitive.

For instance, even just not pissing away your top picks like we did would've given us a superior top 5 already (Tkachuk/Petterson/Nylander/Horvat-Boeser) than what we have today. To say nothing of the assets we should have gotten from trading Kesler/Hamhuis/Vrbata/Hansen/Burrows etc.

Exactly. What pisses me off is how lindbenn and the media convinced the majority of the fans that they had nothing to start with. Complete and utter BS.

They had so many pieces left from the Finals that were well respected for their play and compete levels. With such a high price lindbenn puts on mentorship, you would think he valued his own players a little more. These idiots didn't do their homework before they started and came in here without knowing the value of their product. They just wanted to put their stamp on the team and make changes just for the sake of it, thought they were so smart, their arrogance is appalling.

I agree with what you and a few others have said, a retool might have been effective and worked, if we had a smart GM. I prefer a rebuild and a retool would have been tougher, but we had the pieces and the prospects in the upcoming drafts were all high-quality.

With our idiots lindbenn, had we not pissed away our top picks, that top 6 would've been enough to tempt the Sedins for another year at cheap contracts for a Cup run. We could easily put up a solid defensive 3rd line with the pieces from the players you mentioned (Kes, Ham, Burr, badger, etc) and we might have the most complete forward lines in the game. Both PP would look good too if we included the Sedins or we could've loaded one lethal PP.

With limited minutes on the 4th and 2ndPP duties, the Sedins could've extended their careers making this team a real competitor for the SC and we could have sent the Sedins off with a proper Playoff series and accolades instead of some meaningless game with results that have no bearing in the end.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
To be fair, that's just a theory that's been kicked around here. I think the real issue is that unless Benning could make an awful trade for PK Subban with his pick, he pretty much wanted Juolevi no matter what, and had been telegraphing this far enough in advance that people around here were worried about it.

No argument. My thoughts had no basis, just gut feel.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
And with Gillis making the picks, that group of prospects would contain 10 times more busts

Like Hutton in the 5th round?

A potato would have gotten better results than bennbrod if they stuck with bpa. bennbrod failed on 2 top 5 (3/5) picks...not something to be bragging about, MG hit a grand slam with a 9th OA (1/1) and he's still one of our best draft picks.

Outside of the 1st round, we got Hutton in the 5th. How many prospects are playing from benning's picks?

Kinda stupid to suggest bennbrod is 10x the better drafter than anyone...

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Remember the best pieces on this team are still from previous regimes, other than top 10 picks that simply didn't exist back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad