We've fallen and we can't get up. 18/19 MGMT thread VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Its a fair question....but some peeps can't help themselves to talking about Benning..?

Might have something to do with this being the management thread?

Also what do you expect him to have won? He is a NHL executive since a little over 3 years, one of it being an Assistant GM. Before that he had his own company which had an exclusive contract with the Canucks. How long did it take Benning to win something?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Might have something to do with this being the management thread?

Also what do you expect him to have won? He is a NHL executive since a little over 3 years, one of it being an Assistant GM. Before that he had his own company which had an exclusive contract with the Canucks. How long did it take Benning to win something?
Chiapet has won the Cup as the GM of the Bruins. I sure as **** don't want him anywhere near the Canucks. I'd actually prefer Benning to him (who I think was the assistant GM of the Bruins when they won the Cup).

Reactions: Jack Burton

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Check the thread subject. It's about management. What is Benning? Your post would be a fair comment if it was in a game day thread or something like that.

Does having an unlimited source of funds guarantee success even in the non-cap environment? Of course not, else Sather's Rangers would've won multiple Cups. You'd be hard pressed to convince anybody that it doesn't have a notable impact. Again, look at the Vancouver Whitecaps as an example or the Vancouver Grizzlies (where they had to work with a league mandated lower cap than all the other teams save the Raptors). Granted in the Grizzlies case, awful management were a larger factor but failing to have as much money to hand out to free agents meant a bench that was incredibly weak (the Grizzlies starting five wasn't that bad; certainly not great but now Washington Scouts NHL awful).
I was talking with another poster about Arizona's roster 2 years ago ...another poster came in and derailed the conversation into the usual tired circular argument that has been this thread for the last 3 years...

I was looking at the smallest market budget teams in the NHL,and they are some of the most successful..and some of the biggest market teams have been dreadful (look at the Leafs for a solid decade)...In the cap world,I'm not convinced its that much of a determining factor anymore

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Check on the Muskoka five on why the Laffs didn't start a real rebuild ten years ago:

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-maple-leafs-and-the-legacy-of-the-muskoka-five/
Its a tricky situation when your locked in with vets....The Kings current situation reminds me of the 2013-14 Canucks..A group of vets on the downside of their careers,with nothing really coming up behind....Also,the hiring of Willie D to 'salvage' the underachieving vets...What do you do?..try and bolster that core,or blow it up?

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Its a tricky situation when your locked in with vets....The Kings current situation reminds me of the 2013-14 Canucks..A group of vets on the downside of their careers,with nothing really coming up behind....Also,the hiring of Willie D to 'salvage' the underachieving vets...What do you do?..try and bolster that core,or blow it up?

If there is no turn around with the new coach by the deadline, I'd blow it up and use the Canucks as an example of what not to do. Kopitar and Doughty should be safe, literally everyone else not on an ELC shouldn't be. And even Doughty and Kopitar should be considered if the offer is fair.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If there is no turn around with the new coach by the deadline, I'd blow it up and use the Canucks as an example of what not to do. Kopitar and Doughty should be safe, literally everyone else not on an ELC shouldn't be. And even Doughty and Kopitar should be considered if the offer is fair.
Completely agree...although we couldn't trade our two biggest assets ( NMC Sedins),and refused to completely rebuild with them both on the team (Linden)..After Boston won in 2011, they went into a sort of mini rebuild around 2015,and it worked out for them.

Kopitar (31),Quick (32),Doughty (28) would fetch a Kings ransom (no pun intended) for their services at the deadline...It could put their rebuild on turbo boost.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Completely agree...although we couldn't trade our two biggest assets ( NMC Sedins),and refused to completely rebuild with them both on the team (Linden)..After Boston won in 2011, they went into a sort of mini rebuild around 2015,and it worked out for them.

Kopitar (31),Quick (32),Doughty (28) would fetch a Kings ransom (no pun intended) for their services at the deadline...It could put their rebuild on turbo boost.

I did correct myself, saying a fair offer for either should be considered. Everyone else should be actively shopped.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Dont know, Kopitar and Doughty have NMCs. Just like Kovalchuk, Brown, Nate Thompson and Dion Phaneuf have some form of NTC/NMC. From what I have been told, these guys should be almost impossible to trade and the Kings gain probably almost nothing of value out of that.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Benning was just as into trying to compete as linden so don’t leave him out of that. In addition we had a lot of different assets if not squandered that could have been used in a rebuild

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Are you insinuating that it was only Linden who didn't want to rebuild while the twins were still here? If Linden wasn't in the picture Jim would have torn things down?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Are you insinuating that it was only Linden who didn't want to rebuild while the twins were still here? If Linden wasn't in the picture Jim would have torn things down?

I think he referred to the actual quote as it was Linden who said "it wouldnt be fair to the Sedins to rebuilt"

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
S bennings has tons of quotes about competing now, not liking losing, we will be a contender in 3 years. So he was as I to competing if not more than linden based on the rumors from the draft of linden wanting a fuller rebuild

Yeah, not having the young players play in a losing environment at the bottom of the standings seemed like an imperative to Benning... of utmost importance... oops.

The good news is, the kids seem fine. Whole lot of worrying, and wasted years, for literally nothing.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Allow me to break up the monotony here for just a moment:

Q: Would you take on the now-fired Ron Hextall in either a President of Hockey Operations or a GM role?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Dont know, Kopitar and Doughty have NMCs. Just like Kovalchuk, Brown, Nate Thompson and Dion Phaneuf have some form of NTC/NMC. From what I have been told, these guys should be almost impossible to trade and the Kings gain probably almost nothing of value out of that.

Another thing making it difficult is generally when making trades teams need to balance out cap hits so with the massive contracts Doughty or Kopitar you're never going to get just pure futures.

My take on their situation would be they hold onto Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty, unless the players specifically ask to leave, and focus on trading Carter, Kovalchuk, Tofolli, Lewis, Muzzin, Martinez, and see if you can find a goalie desperate team like Calgary or Philly to pay premium on Quick.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It wasn't fair to the Sedins to rebuild...but apparently it was fair to sink to the bottom of the standings for years while spending to the cap trying to compete and failing miserably.

Yeah, ok.
It's kind of like how Willie Desjardins was too prideful to let the team lose games while developing youngsters, so instead he let the team lose games while playing Jayson Megna.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Allow me to break up the monotony here for just a moment:

Q: Would you take on the now-fired Ron Hextall in either a President of Hockey Operations or a GM role?

I'll take Maggie the Monkey as Prez and/or GM at this point of time because Maggie has a system when making her decisions.

Thanks Zombo for breaking up the monotony!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad