We've fallen and we can't get up. 18/19 MGMT thread VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Sure, we’ve had bad injuries. But you compound things when you spend like 8 million on obviously junk players like roussel, schaller abd beagle that can’t play up and down your line up. Or 4 million on a player like Sam gagner that has spent most of the year in the ahl. Or six million on Eriksson, or close to 4 million on Gudnrandon. Sure, there are injuries, but benning is spending close to 20 million on bottom six, bottom two, depth players. If he spends that money on guys that can actually play up the lineup, imagine where we are now. Injuries are not everything here. Spending money on bad depth players is the real problem, because when your decent players go down, you are exposed.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Like the above stated Good teams find a way to win with injurys.thats because they have good players in there line up or in there system.
We have neither...
Betting as soon as Edler comes back, the annual Chris Tanev injury bug will hit...just watch...

Reactions: Jack Burton

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Missed the playoffs for 6 straight years....

Arizona lost again tonight,1 game under .500 (the Canucks are 3)

It's true, the Coyotes are in a horrific 6-year postseason draught, last making it in 2012. Hey, I wonder what they did after the 4th straight year they missed the playoffs?

Coyotes GM Don Maloney Fired
By Zachary DeVine - April 11, 2016

Arizona Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney was fired from his long-held post earlier today, according to multiple sources. Maloney had been the Coyotes GM since May 2007.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I'm not saying all injuries are insurmountable, but good teams don't typically go into 7 game losing streaks because they are missing a couple good players. Good teams find a way to win, they adjust, play a more defensively responsible game.

You accuse me of "assuming a foregone conclusion" yet you assume the question has been already asked? Check your hypocrisy bud. And I never assumed anything, these were questions that should be asked.

If you have players who seem to always be injured, perhaps you need to move on from them? Or at least understand that you can expect that they will miss a chunk of time and will need to account for that by acquiring some depth to compensate for it. Do you think relying on Alex Edler and Chris Tanev to play hard minutes for 82 games was feasible? Did you think that the rest of the defense corps were capable of stepping up and filling in adequately when the inevitable injuries occurred? If the answer to that is "yes", then I'd be curious as to what historical data you could use to back that up, cuz the rest of the defensive corps is pretty darn bad, and they proved it last season.

The Canucks are the most injured team this year.. that’s not the same thing as “missing a couple good players”

That alone tells me you aren’t being honest with reality. When your top defensive pairing, leading goal scorer, top 2 matchup centers, top 6 winger, and so on.. get injured at the same time early in the season and you call it “missing a couple good players” you’re just not being honest with yourself about the extent of the injuries.. but this is standard for Benning critics who shove their head in the sand, you’re actually one of the more honest ones who will at least acknowledge injuries matter.

And yes I do believe Edler and Tanev are a good top pairing to have.. will Tanev get injured? Yeah. What do you want Benning to do about that? Acquire a defenseman who doesn’t get injured? :laugh: Are you kidding me? Please show me a list of defensemen who don’t get injured.

What’s option B, go acquire 2 defensemen that can replace a top pairing of Edler and Tanev while injured? Like trading for them is easy? Like signing them wouldn’t take away minutes and roster spots from younger developing defenders like Hutton and Stecher?

Please, tell me what you would do differently. List the depth defensemen you think are out there so readily available and who won’t get injured or take opportunities away from prospects.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
Good teams find a way to win despite injuries?

You don’t believe that.. I know you don’t.. it’s ridiculous..

You think we weren’t good in 2011? You think we weren’t good in 2012 when Daniel was injured? You think it was Gillis’ fault for not winning despite injuries? Come on.

And yes, I agree questions need to be asked of the trainers and medical staff.. seems like the questions have been asked but you assume the answer is a foregone conclusion. You seem to assume that the staff are at fault. Bad luck does exist but it probably has more to do with the travel and the schedule.

Not sure what you mean about what kind of players we have contributing to injuries, please clarify..
Look where Toronto is with their top center out. Look where Tampa is without Hedman. Good teams keep winning using superior depth when they have injuries.

In 2011 the team that won was missing Savard and Horton, and had significant injuries to many of their players in the lineup like Begeron. Key injuries did not prevent them from winning the cup.

We still won the president's trophy in 2012 with Daniel out an extended stretch. He was a better player that year than any player on this roster.

If you want to sit here and point that we have been terrible because of injuries to our 3rd and 4th line centers, it is incredibly embarrassing to yourself.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Look where Toronto is with their top center out. Look where Tampa is without Hedman. Good teams keep winning using superior depth when they have injuries.

In 2011 the team that won was missing Savard and Horton, and had significant injuries to many of their players in the lineup like Begeron. Key injuries did not prevent them from winning the cup.

We still won the president's trophy in 2012 with Daniel out an extended stretch. He was a better player that year than any player on this roster.

If you want to sit here and point that we have been terrible because of injuries to our 3rd and 4th line centers, it is incredibly embarrassing to yourself.

2010-11 Canucks

Salo - 55 games missed.
Edler - 31 games missed.
Hamhuis - 18 games missed.
Bieksa - 16 games missed.

Our blueline was wrecked that year and we still put up the best regular season by any team in the past 20 years and won a President's Trophy.

This year we're sitting 30th defensively in the NHL with just Edler out and its ' OH MY STARS! THE INJURIES! THEY'RE THE PROBLEM!'

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The Canucks are the most injured team this year.. that’s not the same thing as “missing a couple good players”

That alone tells me you aren’t being honest with reality. When your top defensive pairing, leading goal scorer, top 2 matchup centers, top 6 winger, and so on.. get injured at the same time early in the season and you call it “missing a couple good players” you’re just not being honest with yourself about the extent of the injuries.. but this is standard for Benning critics who shove their head in the sand, you’re actually one of the more honest ones who will at least acknowledge injuries matter.

And yes I do believe Edler and Tanev are a good top pairing to have.. will Tanev get injured? Yeah. What do you want Benning to do about that? Acquire a defenseman who doesn’t get injured? :laugh: Are you kidding me? Please show me a list of defensemen who don’t get injured.

What’s option B, go acquire 2 defensemen that can replace a top pairing of Edler and Tanev while injured? Like trading for them is easy? Like signing them wouldn’t take away minutes and roster spots from younger developing defenders like Hutton and Stecher?

Please, tell me what you would do differently. List the depth defensemen you think are out there so readily available and who won’t get injured or take opportunities away from prospects.

I'm not about to go on a tirade about this and create lists of hypothetical defensemen to acquire or mistakes that were previously made....I will simply say that injuries are a part of the game and they can grind a team down and eat away at success...however I don't believe in using them as the only excuse for failure. This team, IMO, is not built well...it's not built to overcome injuries, or extended slumps, maybe one day it will but it ain't today...it starts at the top and works its way down through the team and into their system. They have some quality pieces but the foundation on which this team sits is weak, and that is the defense...they have no depth, and no swagger to their game...and the reason they have no swagger is because they are in over their heads at this level. The goaltending is mediocre at best and the coaching is questionable. We can quibble about the quality of the players who are injured and what difference they may have made but the facts remain the same, this is a team that doesn't currently have the ability to overcome adversity they are facing.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
2010-11 Canucks

Salo - 55 games missed.
Edler - 31 games missed.
Hamhuis - 18 games missed.
Bieksa - 16 games missed.

Our blueline was wrecked that year and we still put up the best regular season by any team in the past 20 years and won a President's Trophy.

This year we're sitting 30th defensively in the NHL with just Edler out and its ' OH MY STARS! THE INJURIES! THEY'RE THE PROBLEM!'

Wasn't just that year.

Those 2006-2013 teams were always decimated by injuries yet would always be in the playoff race.

The key was having insane depth and restocking the farm with decent AHL talent.

This roster flat out sucks. The AHL squad is straight up garbage. Bennings drafts have been abysmal and it's showing with the shit depth we have.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

I'm not being paid millions of dollars a year to sort this out, but you think the professional that was would have been able to by now. Why does he get to use the same excuses every single year? Isn't it his job at some point to do soemthing differently like he has been claiming to be doing?

This is the team he has constructed and shown confidence in to start the year, every single year.
DnPC1ByX4AAz_zy.jpg

I'm sure someone else can find his statements from at the beginning of this season, reiterating the same pattern. here's a whole article on it lol: Jim Benning says depth is on the way, but Canucks fans have heard this before Wasn't he talking this year about how the bigger bodies he signed would cut down on injuries for the team? Whatever the case, this clearly isn't an isolated catastrophe no one can deal with, but a repeated, yearly problem. It's the GM's job to construct a team that can withstand the rigors of an NHL schedule. Clearly Benning cannot do his job (he admitted that back in 2016 by saying they didn't have the depth and that was on him, and he also said that good organizations have depth. So why argue with such a smart guy? He said this is all his fault and it is. With his own word's he's set a reasonable bar that he cannot live up to. It's the same sad song every year- let's all sing along.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's true, the Coyotes are in a horrific 6-year postseason draught, last making it in 2012. Hey, I wonder what they did after the 4th straight year they missed the playoffs?

It's funny how some people like to rag on Chayaka with 'what has he done???' when he's only been on the job for a little over 2 seasons and Arizona was not only a basement but also the poorest franchise in the league. Not only in money but probably player personnel as well.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Wasn't just that year.

Those 2006-2013 teams were always decimated by injuries yet would always be in the playoff race.

The key was having insane depth and restocking the farm with decent AHL talent.

This roster flat out sucks. The AHL squad is straight up garbage. Bennings drafts have been abysmal and it's showing with the **** depth we have.

+ sleep doctor (actual or placebo effect) + fighting with the league re: schedule + culture conducive to winning = no problem, man.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
and its made a real difference...obviously...

So they should have stuck with Maloney? I can see sticking with someone through a rough...generation(?)...IF the GM has a long record of successes including a cup or two, but at some point you have to be able to say "this isn't working", and try and bring in something different. Jim Benning doesn't have that resume, and he has shown he is not equipped to run a successful NHL franchise....time to cut him loose and find someone else who might have a better shot at it.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm not being paid millions of dollars a year to sort this out, but you think the professional that was would have been able to by now. Why does he get to use the same excuses every single year? Isn't it his job at some point to do soemthing differently like he has been claiming to be doing?

This is the team he has constructed and shown confidence in to start the year, every single year.
DnPC1ByX4AAz_zy.jpg

I'm sure someone else can find his statements from at the beginning of this season, reiterating the same pattern. here's a whole article on it lol: Jim Benning says depth is on the way, but Canucks fans have heard this before Wasn't he talking this year about how the bigger bodies he signed would cut down on injuries for the team? Whatever the case, this clearly isn't an isolated catastrophe no one can deal with, but a repeated, yearly problem. It's the GM's job to construct a team that can withstand the rigors of an NHL schedule. Clearly Benning cannot do his job (he admitted that back in 2016 by saying they didn't have the depth and that was on him, and he also said that good organizations have depth. So why argue with such a smart guy? He said this is all his fault and it is. With his own word's he's set a reasonable bar that he cannot live up to. It's the same sad song every year- let's all sing along.
I just can't believe what kind of a person reads these quotes and can trust/have confidence in this guy. It baffles the mind. Something disturbing had to happen to these people in their childhood. How else does one develop like that otherwise.

After the season: "I believe in depth and we'll have it next season".
After the offseason: "We now have good depth".
End of the season: "We didn't have depth".

Repeat year after year. This is a guy making millions as a manager in the NHL. The only thing more unbelievable than Jimbo still having this job is the people who still have confidence in him.

I legit think Jimbo doesn't understand the concept of depth and this explains the struggles and the confusion he has with this year after year. He thinks depth is when you have a pile of good (or at least expensive) bottom half of the lineup players. Like how he signed a new expensive 4th line last summer. Then after every season, after injuries etc. again ravaged the team, he is flabbergasted as to why this again happened. "I thought we had depth... but we didn't" he thinks. So going into the new summer he puts his working boots on, and brings in more and more expensive 4th liners. "This time we must have enough depth!" he says.

Jimbo, that's not really depth. That's just a bunch of 4th liners who can't play up in the lineup when someone goes down. Matthews-Tavares-Kadri is depth. Idiot.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Every year between July-September the narrative from Benning is we now have depth.

Every year in March/April Benning uses injuries as an excuse and talks about how we didn't have the depth.

Repeat.

Some people look at this and see a GM who's bad at his job because he's constantly making the same mistakes (among a whole plethora of other mistakes).

Others look at this and say "yeah, he's right. We don't have the depth. Blame someone else."

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Players getting hurt is a part of the sport, we aren't the only team that has to deal with them. In fact the Canucks haven't even been the most injured team this season.

There are many teams who are still able to keep their heads above water or even win at a consistent rate even with injuries. The difference between those teams and the Canucks in recent years? Organizational depth. Every single year we year Benning boast about how they'll be able to withstand injuries because they have depth this year, the problem is the depth that is mentioned by Benning are merely warm bodies, not necessarily players who can adequately fill holes in a NHL lineup.

This team for the past few years has had no proper organizational depth to speak of, so when injuries hit, they've been forced to rely on journeyman with little to no upside. Chaput and Megna in the Willie years, Schaller and Motte this year. List goes on.

5 years on the job, you'd think that eventually the 'amazing drafting and prospect pool' that was taking shape to help replenish the team's depth would be coming to fruition by now.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Personal guess -

Reason that Benning wasn't fired after his last contract was up was for the following reasons:

1. He picked ownership's side in the Linden situation.
2. The fanbase somehow has bought into the Benning regime, and comes up with excuses about every poor aspect of his tenure.
3. He promised an improved team THIS year.
4. Pettersson, Boeser picks were big hits.

Seems as though he hasn't lost the fanbase, but frustration is definitely mounting.

Ownership will be extremely frustrated with no visible improvements and another sucky team, the 4th bottom 5 finish in 5 years.

I think Benning is canned by season's end. Can't fire another coach, especially one that is the second of a tenure and is dealing with a roster in which Gudbranson is used as the top matchup guy half the time.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
This team is on the verge of their worst losing streak in franchise history and there has been basically no talk of the guy who's built this team being on a short leash. Astonishing.

Zero systemic depth after 5 years on the job, handful of adequate players on the team many of whom were inherited by Benning when he took the job. So much dead weight on this team, been the case for years and people still aren't willing to hold the man in charge accountable.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Wrong as usual. Anaheim has been hurt worse by injuries this year. Though we've already established that facts don't mean much to you.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's happened in other markets, so it's not too stupid of an idea, but I would be completely down with crowdfunding purchasing a billboard advertisement right outside Rogers Arena that says something along the line of:

"Change is needed"

#AquiliniOUT
#BenningOUT
#WeisbrodOUT
That would certainly get some attention.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
and its made a real difference...obviously...

I mean seriously, at a rough estimate this is the team he took over:

Boedker-Hanzal-Doan
Domi-Vermette-Reider
Duclair-Richardson-Tikhonov
Martinook-Gordon-Chipchura

OEL-Stone
Grossoman-Murphy
Michalek-Dahlbeck

Smith
Domingue

Top Prospects: Dylan Strome, Nick Merkley, Christian Fischer, Brendan Perlini, Henrik Samuelsson

And has had 3 summers to tinker with it while operating on a shoe string budget, without the benefit of a lottery win and while drafting a few spots below us 2/3 drafts.

How good exactly do you think Arizona should be right now? And it's quite ironic to ignore the process and take a 'only results matter' stance with Chayaka on one hand while on the other being supportive of the work Benning is doing in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad