We've fallen and we can't get up. 18/19 MGMT thread VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Right..I just looked up and Arizona has been out of the playoffs since 2012..and assumed they held on to their 1sts..apparently not..

So what has John Chayka done?
whataboutism.jpg

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Right..I just looked up and Arizona has been out of the playoffs since 2012..and assumed they held on to their 1sts..apparently not..

So what has John Chayka done?

He's done a better job than Jim Benning that's for sure. He actually acquires draft picks. He weaponized cap space to get a 1st round pick.

If I'm not mistaken, he's acquired more draft picks (6) in 2 years than Benning has his entire tenure as Canucks GM.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
How about this hot take from you Prosthetic...You wrote it in August.....

"I'm going to laugh so damn hard in December and January when the Benning bros are talking about the great game Pettersson had in Sweden after watching games 30 through 40 of Granlund not breaking out as a go-to scorer for yet another season."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:...:thumbu:

Someone with your track record shouldn't be throwing stones.

Reactions: Jack Burton

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

"I'm going to laugh so damn hard in December and January when the Benning bros are talking about the great game Pettersson had in Sweden after watching games 30 through 40 of Granlund not breaking out as a go-to scorer for yet another season."

Regardless of what others may have been wrong about, you've been wrong about a hell of a lot more; don't act like you haven't lol

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Pffffffffffffffffffffft you want me to go through your posting history? Oh yeah, hot takes. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure buddy. As if your predictions are better than Puxatawney Phil. Who the f*** are you kidding? Get a head start on your usual disappearing act and do the forum a favour.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You can talk about injuries all you want, but it doesn't change that half our healthy roster is:

Eriksson - $6,000,000
Gudbranson - $4,000,000
Del Zotto - $3.000.000
Gagner - $3,150,000
Roussel - $3,000,000
Schaller - $1,900,000
Granlund - $1,475,000
Pouliot - $1,100,000

Total - $23,525,000 for 8 players who could easily be replaced with AHLers making the minimum with no noticeable difference.

Guys like Motte and Archibald and Leipsic, yeah, they are depth guys who probably wouldn't be in the lineup but for injuries. Fair enough. But those guys are paid as regular NHLers and bring nothing to the table.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He's done a better job than Jim Benning that's for sure. He actually acquires draft picks. He weaponized cap space to get a 1st round pick.

If I'm not mistaken, he's acquired more draft picks (6) in 2 years than Benning has his entire tenure as Canucks GM.
Missed the playoffs for 6 straight years....

Arizona lost again tonight,1 game under .500 (the Canucks are 3)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pffffffffffffffffffffft you want me to go through your posting history? Oh yeah, hot takes. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure buddy. As if your predictions are better than Puxatawney Phil. Who the **** are you kidding? Get a head start on your usual disappearing act and do the forum a favour.

Here you go:

I don't see the Canucks making the playoffs this year,but I do believe they will make a strong case for it next season.

November 2017.

:laugh:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pffffffffffffffffffffft you want me to go through your posting history? Oh yeah, hot takes. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure buddy. As if your predictions are better than Puxatawney Phil. Who the **** are you kidding? Get a head start on your usual disappearing act and do the forum a favour.
Please do...post whatever you like...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Whats wrong with that....Its no different from Benning will be fired predictions before he got extended..is it:laugh:

Because you're wrong.

And sure, a lot of us who predicted Benning would be fired got that one wrong. We assumed sanity would prevail, but I guess I gave ownership too much credit there. Oh well. At least I wasn't delusional in thinking this team would make the playoffs.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What do people think we do at the deadline?

Or what people think Benning will do?

Benning will try to trade Edler but he won't waive. Benning will say in an interview after that he tried but Edler just wouldn't waive so what can you do?

Del Zotto traded for a late pick because why not?

Pouliot hopefully dumped for anything.

Wouldn't care if we dealt Nilsson or Gudbranson.

Schaller for a C prospect.

I think the injuries have shown Sutter's value so I don't think he's dealt this season, but we should look to trade him next season if we draft another centre.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
What do people think we do at the deadline?

Or what people think Benning will do?

This idiot will sell our future to draft Hughes...

Psst...psst *weiss whispering in benning's ear*, 'it will be like the twins, the city will love you for it. There'll be streets named after you, parades and statues of you everywhere! F*ck Denny's...think Benny's! Terry Fox meh?... they'll replace the statue with jimmy 'THE FOX' benning! The ask is nothing...we're robbing these guys. It's worth our 2OA, next year's 1st and Bo! Hughes will replace Bo anyways and we're a lock for the Playoffs, so it will be a late 1st rounder. Yeah...no need to worry about setting conditions on next years pick. It's a can't miss!'

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I honestly wonder what goes through Benning's head sometimes when he watches this team.

Like, does he think this is just a poor stretch due to bad luck and injuries, or does he ever wonder if his performance has something to do with how awful we've been ever since 2014-2015? Does he ever reflect on his shortcomings? What sort of things does he ponder?

****, we could almost make this into a philosophy class. "What things does James Elmer Benning think as GM of the Vancouver Canucks?"

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I honestly wonder what goes through Benning's head sometimes when he watches this team.

Like, does he think this is just a poor stretch due to bad luck and injuries, or does he ever wonder if his performance has something to do with how awful we've been ever since 2014-2015? Does he ever reflect on his shortcomings? What sort of things does he ponder?

****, we could almost make this into a philosophy class. "What things does James Elmer Benning think as GM of the Vancouver Canucks?"

Why do Benning critics think they’re being perceptive when they have to pretend that injuries don’t exist or matter?

When a team is 1st in the NHL in injuries over a 4 year period by wide margin there’s nothing any GM could do about the inevitable drop off in results.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
This idiot will sell our future to draft Hughes...

Psst...psst *weiss whispering in benning's ear*, 'it will be like the twins, the city will love you for it. There'll be streets named after you, parades and statues of you everywhere! F*ck Denny's...think Benny's! Terry Fox meh?... they'll replace the statue with jimmy 'THE FOX' benning! The ask is nothing...we're robbing these guys. It's worth our 2OA, next year's 1st and Bo! Hughes will replace Bo anyways and we're a lock for the Playoffs, so it will be a late 1st rounder. Yeah...no need to worry about setting conditions on next years pick. It's a can't miss!'

Great post.. all the posters who don’t obsessively criticize Benning should leave so this thread can be filled exclusively with content like this..

Reactions: Nomobo

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Why do Benning critics think they’re being perceptive when they have to pretend that injuries don’t exist or matter?

When a team is 1st in the NHL in injuries over a 4 year period by wide margin there’s nothing any GM could do about the inevitable drop off in results.

If you were a GM and your team had the most injuries over a 4 year period by a "wide margin", wouldn't that lead you to ask questions about the types of players you have? The training and medical staff? Coaching? It can't all just be chalked up to bad luck.

Injuries do exist and matter, however, good teams find ways to win despite injuries. This team hasn't found a way to win, they are finding new and interesting ways to lose.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If you were a GM and your team had the most injuries over a 4 year period by a "wide margin", wouldn't that lead you to ask questions about the types of players you have? The training and medical staff? Coaching? It can't all just be chalked up to bad luck.

Injuries do exist and matter, however, good teams find ways to win despite injuries. This team hasn't found a way to win, they are finding new and interesting ways to lose.

Good teams find a way to win despite injuries?

You don’t believe that.. I know you don’t.. it’s ridiculous..

You think we weren’t good in 2011? You think we weren’t good in 2012 when Daniel was injured? You think it was Gillis’ fault for not winning despite injuries? Come on.

And yes, I agree questions need to be asked of the trainers and medical staff.. seems like the questions have been asked but you assume the answer is a foregone conclusion. You seem to assume that the staff are at fault. Bad luck does exist but it probably has more to do with the travel and the schedule.

Not sure what you mean about what kind of players we have contributing to injuries, please clarify..

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'm not saying all injuries are insurmountable, but good teams don't typically go into 7 game losing streaks because they are missing a couple good players. Good teams find a way to win, they adjust, play a more defensively responsible game.

You accuse me of "assuming a foregone conclusion" yet you assume the question has been already asked? Check your hypocrisy bud. And I never assumed anything, these were questions that should be asked.

If you have players who seem to always be injured, perhaps you need to move on from them? Or at least understand that you can expect that they will miss a chunk of time and will need to account for that by acquiring some depth to compensate for it. Do you think relying on Alex Edler and Chris Tanev to play hard minutes for 82 games was feasible? Did you think that the rest of the defense corps were capable of stepping up and filling in adequately when the inevitable injuries occurred? If the answer to that is "yes", then I'd be curious as to what historical data you could use to back that up, cuz the rest of the defensive corps is pretty darn bad, and they proved it last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad