OT: West Coast Blue Jays Discussion

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
So by the same logic that the Jays are "Toronto's team" and can't be Canada's team, do people also think the Canucks are "Vancouver's team" exclusively? That it's outrageous for other parts of BC to be cheering for the Canucks because they aren't in downtown Vancouver? I literally only became a Canucks fan because I grew up in BC and watched Canucks games as a kid on Sportsnet Pacific. Same thing with the Jays. Don't really care about baseball enough in general to follow other teams, so the only players I knew about around the league (until this summer) were former Jays like Colby Rasmus and Alex Rios.

Look at the NFL - it's a way bigger sport with a way bigger league, but no singular team ever gets coverage here because Canada doesn't have a team. As a result, although I'll watch the Superbowl and the occasional Sunday night game, I have zero attachment to any team because I've never been hooked into following one team long enough to care.

The Raptors and the Jays are Canada's teams. Just the same as the Columbus Blue Jackets would be Ohio's team if they ever went to the Cup finals. Just the same as the Canucks would no longer be BC's team if Victoria ever gets a franchise. Etc.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I hope the addition of Jay Bruce doesn't spell the end of Joey Bats in the OF.

Stalemate in contract negotiations + addition of power-hitting RF = uh-oh...

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The proposed trade will be a three team deal...
Between the Jays...
Reds...
And Angels.
The Jays will get Bruce...
The Angels will acquire Saunders...
While the Reds will take prospects.

The problem is that it appears that the prospects will come from the Angels...
But its farm system is extremely bare...
So I still take this report with a grain of salt...
Until something actually happens.
A lot of deals do fall through last minute.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
The proposed trade will be a three team deal...
Between the Jays...
Reds...
And Angels.
The Jays will get Bruce...
The Angels will acquire Saunders...
While the Reds will take prospects.

The problem is that it appears that the prospects will come from the Angels...
But its farm system is extremely bare...
So I still take this report with a grain of salt...
Until something actually happens.
A lot of deals do fall through last minute.

I think it'll be marginal prospects. Bruce has a bad contract and the Reds probably just want to get rid of it. His value isn't very high. His average isn't what it used to be. Hopefully if the deal does happen that he can regain it. He's a safe bet for 25 home runs which is pretty great when you consider just about everybody in their lineup has 20 home run potential or even 40 for three of them. It's a scary lineup

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I think it'll be marginal prospects. Bruce has a bad contract and the Reds probably just want to get rid of it. His value isn't very high. His average isn't what it used to be. Hopefully if the deal does happen that he can regain it. He's a safe bet for 25 home runs which is pretty great when you consider just about everybody in their lineup has 20 home run potential or even 40 for three of them. It's a scary lineup

I get that...
And I agree with your reasons...
But what gives me pause on the proposed deal is that...
The Angels got absolutely nothing worthwhile...
In terms of prospects.

That is why I think it is best to hold the enthusiasm...
Until there is a firm confirmation.
I doubt people can take that much disappointment...
In a single day.
;)

Brente

Nov 8, 2011
North Vancouver
So by the same logic that the Jays are "Toronto's team" and can't be Canada's team, do people also think the Canucks are "Vancouver's team" exclusively? That it's outrageous for other parts of BC to be cheering for the Canucks because they aren't in downtown Vancouver? I literally only became a Canucks fan because I grew up in BC and watched Canucks games as a kid on Sportsnet Pacific. Same thing with the Jays. Don't really care about baseball enough in general to follow other teams, so the only players I knew about around the league (until this summer) were former Jays like Colby Rasmus and Alex Rios.

Look at the NFL - it's a way bigger sport with a way bigger league, but no singular team ever gets coverage here because Canada doesn't have a team. As a result, although I'll watch the Superbowl and the occasional Sunday night game, I have zero attachment to any team because I've never been hooked into following one team long enough to care.

The Raptors and the Jays are Canada's teams. Just the same as the Columbus Blue Jackets would be Ohio's team if they ever went to the Cup finals. Just the same as the Canucks would no longer be BC's team if Victoria ever gets a franchise. Etc.

Ah no they are not Canada's teams they are the pest holes teams.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Casual observer that jumped on the wagon last year.

No more Revere and Goins? Were they not important to the defense?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Goins is still here...
And he will hold down the fort...
Until Devon Travis has recovered from surgery...
And is in game shape.
After that...
He will probably be used as a super utility type of player...
So he is great defensively...
And can play multiple infield positions.

Revere was traded for Drew Storen...
A true closer.
Last year...
People took a closer look at Revere...
And they found that he was actually a poor defender...
Due to his poor routes to flyballs...
But that was largely covered up by his speed.

Personally...
It is probably a good deal...
Because elite closers have more value...
And even though Storen was terrible last year...
He has had a sustained good track record before that.

Last edited:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Goins is great and is still part of the team but once Travis is back he'll most likely be on the bench. He'll probably be a late inning defensive replacement for Travis but Travis has the much better bat. He'll still play a lot. As for Revere. I didn't like him. He as terrible in the playoffs aside from a few defensive plays but Saunders is probably better than him defensively and has a lot more power. You lose a bit on speed and contact but that's fine. I like a healthy Saunders more.

edit didn't see the above. Yeah the Revere for Storen trade was a rally good move.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Goins should be an every day player somewhere. He's a gold glove calibre defender that was able to handle the bat well enough to play everyday last season. Him or Travis should be dealt for pitching help imo.

I read somewhere yesterday that Joey Bats is demanding a 5 year, 150 million dollar deal?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Goins should be an every day player somewhere. He's a gold glove calibre defender that was able to handle the bat well enough to play everyday last season. Him or Travis should be dealt for pitching help imo.

I read somewhere yesterday that Joey Bats is demanding a 5 year, 150 million dollar deal?

That report is incorrect. He actually wants longer term, and more money (though it would average out to less than $30M per year).

Stupid contract for a guy who's 35

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, they should just keep Bautista through the year and then let him walk for the draft pick compensation.

Guy will be 36 at the end of the season and a full-time DH soon. Would be nice to keep him on a 2-year contract but any sort of 4-5 year deal would be absolutely idiotic.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, they should just keep Bautista through the year and then let him walk for the draft pick compensation.

Guy will be 36 at the end of the season and a full-time DH soon. Would be nice to keep him on a 2-year contract but any sort of 4-5 year deal would be absolutely idiotic.

For sure. If he wants 4+ years no point signing him.

Better off to sign Edwin for less, he's already in the DH spot and a bit younger.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I love these guys...
But their power...
And thus...
Production...
Would only go down as the years progress.
Yes...
EE is younger...
But he already has a number of injury issues...
Which would only increase as he gets older.
Honestly...
I have a feeling that this might be the last year of elite production for both...
And it may be even possible that both start to decline...
So it just does not make any sense to give them a lot more money...
For diminished return.

Plus...
Even if they walk...
The team is still in good hands...
Power-wise...
With Donaldson...
Tulowitzki...
And Martin...
In the lineup...
Along with good role players like Travis...
And Pillar.

Personally...
Unless the deals make sense...
I would probably just let them walk in the off-season...
And get the two compensation picks...
Since teams are so power-starved.
Of course...
If the team is out of the post-season picture...
It may be best served to just trade them...
As they would garner huge returns.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I can't wait for the season to start. Up until last year I'd usually watch about 20-30 games a year but that's all changed now. Just need to find a new beer league team to play on in town now that my office team is gone. Anyone need a centre fielder?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
That report is incorrect. He actually wants longer term, and more money (though it would average out to less than $30M per year).

Stupid contract for a guy who's 35

Yeah I heard it was something like 7 years 200 million. The first five are 30 and last 2 are 25. Which would be insane.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I can't wait for the season to start. Up until last year I'd usually watch about 20-30 games a year but that's all changed now. Just need to find a new beer league team to play on in town now that my office team is gone. Anyone need a centre fielder?

Get into a baseball fantasy league. I just started two years ago and I like it more than football and hockey. It's great.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Yeah… you gotta let him walk at that number. Edwin is the better hitter anyway imo, it'd be nice to keep him. Donaldson and Tulo are enough to build a team around regardless.

Get into a baseball fantasy league. I just started two years ago and I like it more than football and hockey. It's great.

I like fantasy baseball but find it much more time consuming than football. The season is longer and the way teams sit catchers and rotate pitchers, you gotta be on it almost every day.

Fantasy hockey sucks. Hockey pools ftw.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

I actually am this year for the first time! Have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I didn't when I started fantasy football either. Did you autodraft your first year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad