OT: West Coast Blue Jays Discussion

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Don't know why we should be rooting for the Blue Jays when the Toronto fans and media dumped all over us in the Stanley Cup run in 2011. Kept complaining that we were getting too much coverage and were openly rooting for Boston.

Don't believe me go back and look at these boards

Weren't we Canada's team then? This support for Canada's team seems to run only in one direction.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Don't know why we should be rooting for the Blue Jays when the Toronto fans and media dumped all over us in the Stanley Cup run in 2011. Kept complaining that we were getting too much coverage and were openly rooting for Boston.

Weren't we Canada's team then? This support for Canada's team seems to run only in one direction.

No we weren't, we weren't Canada's team back then..,outside of Montreal everyone hated the Canucks.

The Blue Jays are a different story, me and some of the rest have been cheering since the glory years

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Not even close, and any Canucks fans that fooled themselves into thinking Canada was backing us, were so far out to lunch. It's sad Canucks fans are still bitter over it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No we weren't, we weren't Canada's team back then..,outside of Montreal everyone hated the Canucks.

The Blue Jays are a different story, me and some of the rest have been cheering since the glory years

And I hate every other Canadian team outside of Montreal. It's hilarious to think Canucks fans thought we were 'Canada's team'. It's hockey and all the Canadian teams mostly don't want each other doing well just because we don't like each other that much. The whole 'bring the cup back to canada' thing is so overblown.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
On that note, the Blue Jays ARE Canada's team...they are Canada's ONLY MLB team...so therefore, they ARE Canada's team, whether you like it or not. :laugh: Seeing Jays apparel on the West Coast further makes me believe that.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yes, we weren't Canada's team - but why should any city in Canada be recognized as Canada's team in anything. They are Toronto's team. If they want to be Canada's team rename themselves the Canadian Blue Jays

Reason you see a lot of Blue Jays stuff is tons of people come out here from Ontario to get jobs or to retire.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yes, we weren't Canada's team - but why should any city in Canada be recognized as Canada's team in anything. They are Toronto's team. If they want to be Canada's team rename themselves the Canadian Blue Jays

Reason you see a lot of Blue Jays stuff is tons of people come out here from Ontario to get jobs or to retire.

Or they just simply like the Jays? :laugh: A large contingent of my friends, and even people I know around town here in PG, like the Jays, who are 20-30 years old, and who have not moved here from Ontario for work or retirement. Not sure why it is that big of a deal to you...you seem so caught up in 2011 still. I don't even get what the Toronto media has to do with why we can't like the Jays. It's not even relevant IMO.

Why should they be recognized as Canada's team? Well, they are the only Canadian MLB team, and the majority of Canada seems to like them? I mean, they don't have 1M followers on Twitter because Americans find the Jays' account funny. Do you follow baseball closely or just casually? Reason I ask is because the Jays have always had a large portion of Canada liking them. and if you just follow casually then maybe you aren't as aware. I'm not sure.

The Jays have done a fantastic job of getting fans around Canada (which they already had, but have easily gained more). They took a page from the Raptors.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not to mention, the 90's gained a lot of new Jays fans that have stuck around as diehards to this day. Their kids likely ended up liking the Jays, and it's a never ending cycle. Just don't see why it is so hard to believe the Jays are so popular in Canada. :dunno:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Jays recognize they are Canada's team, from coast to coast you see a vast majority of people who have been Jays fans for a number of years.

Look at when the Jays play Seattle, a ton of people from Vancouver go there to support the Jays. Even when the Expos where around, they had tons of support from the country..even during lean years.

It's different when it's hockey but when it's baseball, the Blue Jays get tons of fans from the country plain and simple.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The Jays recognize they are Canada's team, from coast to coast you see a vast majority of people who have been Jays fans for a number of years.

Look at when the Jays play Seattle, a ton of people from Vancouver go there to support the Jays. Even when the Expos where around, they had tons of support from the country..even during lean years.

It's different when it's hockey but when it's baseball, the Blue Jays get tons of fans from the country plain and simple.

This season was a lot of fun this year. I think I'm more depressed over the fact it's over...not even like how it ended just now, but all the memories. Martin's HR against NYY to basically solidify the division, Donaldson's multiple walkoffs...among so many other things. Even just the grind of a regular season...waking up on a weekend to kick back and watch a Jays game, then go enjoy the beautiful summer weather. Man, I miss this team already.

This was a really fun year, mostly due to the surge after the deadline. What a run. We were 52-51 at the deadline...and look where we ended up...I didn't think it was possible when I was watching this Jays team in Seattle.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This season was a lot of fun this year. I think I'm more depressed over the fact it's over...not even like how it ended just now, but all the memories. Martin's HR against NYY to basically solidify the division, Donaldson's multiple walkoffs...among so many other things. Even just the grind of a regular season...waking up on a weekend to kick back and watch a Jays game, then go enjoy the beautiful summer weather. Man, I miss this team already.

This was a really fun year, mostly due to the surge after the deadline. What a run. We were 52-51 at the deadline...and look where we ended up...I didn't think it was possible when I was watching this Jays team in Seattle.

It's gonna be hard to go back to the post season next year, we may tail off a bit but we need better arms in the bullpen ( Hawkins GTFO ) and some Starting pitching.

A few bench players and we are set.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's gonna be hard to go back to the post season next year, we may tail off a bit but we need better arms in the bullpen ( Hawkins GTFO ) and some Starting pitching.

A few bench players and we are set.

AA has been a wizard, so I expect some wizardry from him in the offseason. :popcorn:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
There aren't that many true Jays fans out West. I see people wearing Jays apparel all the time but I doubt many of them even know who the starting pitcher is

If you listen closely, you can hear the bandwagon emptying :sarcasm:

That being said, I think Vancouver is a pretty fickle sports market in general. Lots of bandwagon Canuck fans too

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
There aren't that many true Jays fans out West. I see people wearing Jays apparel all the time but I doubt many of them even know who the starting pitcher is

That being said, I think Vancouver is a pretty fickle sports market in general. Lots of bandwagon Canuck fans too

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/travelling-jays-fans-turn-seattle-into-home-turf/

look at all those bandwagoners traveling to Seattle.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Blows me away how anyone out here who actually remembers 2011 can possibly get sucked into any "Canada's team" **** as far as league play goes. You deserve to feel like idiots if and when the Canucks ever challenge for the cup again.

arsmaster*

Blows me away how anyone out here who actually remembers 2011 can possibly get sucked into any "Canada's team" **** as far as league play goes. You deserve to feel like idiots if and when the Canucks ever challenge for the cup again.
I've been watching sports my whole life. I clearly remember joe Carter's homer in 1993 as a 10 year old.

I haven't bought in to ****. Been watching and cheering for the jays and mariners for that time.

I don't know why so many people get worked up about being a jays fan. It's not to different than half his board claiming the Seahawks. We're not Seattle.

I'd suggest some people lighten up.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

What's a true Jays fan? I remember the WS years and watched many games. Baseball wasn't my favourite sport so I can't say I followed baseball closely over the years. But it's the only baseball team I ever cheered for. I'm certainly not a bandwagon jumper as I have always supported them and been a fan win or lose. Does it make me a true fan or no because I didn't follow them closely over the years?

To me, a true fan is someone who doesn't stop being a fan. A diehard fan on the other hand would be someone following the team closely win or lose. A bandwagon jumper would be someone who only cheers for the team when they are winning and it's cool to do so and could care less about the team or even critical when things aren't good.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

I find it strange that someone can feel so strongly about this. Cheer for the Jays if you want to, whether you're a bandwagon or diehard fan.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Baseball is just a more important sport overall in North America. It hurts to hear as a hockey fan, but it's true. Just look at the money involved in these clubs. David Price alone will probably fetch $30M next year.

There is no 'Canada's team' in hockey because the sport is small enough that Canadian cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg can support a team. There is no reason to rally around a national team. The team may be based in Toronto, but it's also the only baseball team that 'forced' the Canadian anthem to be played during the playoffs, in their backyard, in their sport.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Didn't buy into the Canada's team hype. Just saw an exciting team playing exciting baseball and enjoyed the run. Call me a bandwagoner or whatever I don't really care but I never really considered myself much of a Jays fan despite following them on their run.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Baseball is just a more important sport overall in North America. It hurts to hear as a hockey fan, but it's true. Just look at the money involved in these clubs. David Price alone will probably fetch $30M next year.

There is no 'Canada's team' in hockey because the sport is small enough that Canadian cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg can support a team. There is no reason to rally around a national team. The team may be based in Toronto, but it's also the only baseball team that 'forced' the Canadian anthem to be played during the playoffs, in their backyard, in their sport.

In Canada, hockey is the more important sport. What you said makes no sense given your reasons. There's no "America's team" unless they are facing off against a Canadian team in the finals. That's a fact. It seems silly to me that US fans would cheer "USA" when they are facing the Blue Jays or a Canadian team in hockey, but at the same time it goes to show what they are thinking. You never hear us go "CAN NA DA!"

Because there are less Canadian teams than American teams in the NHL, Canadian teams are seen as "Canadian" teams by Americans. It's not the Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Jets, Canadiens, Leafs. For Americans it always end up being "us vs them." So make no mistake, when it's a Canadian team vs a US team, there is a "Canada's team." There is every reason to rally around a national team. Who do you think Americans would cheer for if god forbid it is the Canadiens vs the Coyotes in the final? They will rally behind the Coyotes simply because they are perceived as an American team.

It's human nature. When a certain group discriminates against you you come together and fight back.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
In Canada, hockey is the more important sport. What you said makes no sense given your reasons. There's no "America's team" unless they are facing off against a Canadian team in the finals. That's a fact. It seems silly to me that US fans would cheer "USA" when they are facing the Blue Jays or a Canadian team in hockey, but at the same time it goes to show what they are thinking. You never hear us go "CAN NA DA!"

Because there are less Canadian teams than American teams in the NHL, Canadian teams are seen as "Canadian" teams by Americans. It's not the Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Jets, Canadiens, Leafs. For Americans it always end up being "us vs them." So make no mistake, when it's a Canadian team vs a US team, there is a "Canada's team." There is every reason to rally around a national team. Who do you think Americans would cheer for if god forbid it is the Canadiens vs the Coyotes in the final? They will rally behind the Coyotes simply because they are perceived as an American team.

It's human nature. When a certain group discriminates against you you come together and fight back.

It's possible that the Americans don't distinguish the Canadian teams, but then you would be talking about casuals and non-fans. The ones that chant USA! are just trolling.

Also no, Americans would not rally around the Coyotes vs a Canadian team in the final. There are 23 American teams and there is no built in inferiority complex. They don't need to cheer for the Coyotes to defend national pride. The NHL is about civic rivalries, not national.

Interesting you bring up Arizona though, as they changed their name to now represent the entire state rather than Phoenix or Glendale. This is analogous to how I see the Blue Jays market. There are no competing Canadian teams, so really they are the Canada Blue Jays rather than just Toronto. There are small pockets of Mariners fans in BC and Twins fans in Manitoba, but overall the Blue Jays are our national baseball team.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Well the 2-2 strike call to Revere was certainly a stretch but you'd think that having a runner on third base with zero outs the Blue Jays could drive him in.

I had more of an issue with the Goins at bat. If you are going to bunt, then just bunt on the first pitch.

Props to the Royals pitcher staying sharp during the delay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad