Confirmed with Link: Werenski Signs 6 year 9.5 Million AAV Extension

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
One thing I don't like doing but I feel I have to point it out... is how out of touch Portzline is with the Jackets. Zero hints that the Jackets were in discussion with ZW8 for an extension, then it happens. I get no other media member had it either, but you are the beat reporter.

Also, I am beyond thrilled at this signing as a CBJ fan.
I don’t discredit Portzline for not knowing. Rather I credit the Front Office and Agent for maintaining a tight rein on this, thus keeping the negotiations out of the public forum where relationships are frayed or destroyed.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
I don’t discredit Portzline for not knowing. Rather I credit the Front Office and Agent for maintaining a tight rein on this, thus keeping the negotiations out of the public forum where relationships are frayed or destroyed.

Exactly. Makes me think all the leaks about former players who will not be named were coming from a certain agent.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Wow great news! I was expecting the worse on this front, yes we may have slightly overpaid on AAV and I wish it was 8 yars, instead of 6, but thrilled he is staying on!

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone,

Congratulations on the Re-Signing/Extension!

So happy for your Franchise to lock up your young star Defenseman for this Term. Great to read the Positive vibes throughout this Thread. You folks needed some good news & it doesn’t get much better than this.

Have a great Weekend
8920745E-F7DE-4D27-BAFF-C687689457C5.jpeg

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And do you know what is good? Afther his previous contract Zach could enforce a trade, maybe to a team - contender with no less salary or only a bit. But he didn`t do it. Boone Jenner has signed a long contract too, similar like Oliver Bjorkstrand on January. Of course, they`re exceptions like Jones (although I think Brisson had influence in his case). Maybe players is being to believe CBJ. :nod:

Reactions: Fro

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Sorry if non-CBJ fans have already come here and asked this, but do you guys view this contract as a good thing or a bad thing?
I was under the impression that Werenski is a 2D and would look overwhelmed without Jones leading the blue line.
Do one of you guys mind giving me the breakdown on the d-corps situation both before and after the big moves?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Sorry if non-CBJ fans have already come here and asked this, but do you guys view this contract as a good thing or a bad thing?
I was under the impression that Werenski is a 2D and would look overwhelmed without Jones leading the blue line.
Do one of you guys mind giving me the breakdown on the d-corps situation both before and after the big moves?
Me personally thinks based on other deals, he's probably 500k overpaid...his stats w/o Jones are still really good...we are happy with the deal

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Team payroll won't be high once the youngsters come on board so the money being paid here is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. As for the complainers around the league; tough rocks. Your problem, not ours.

Good for Zach and the team - win / win.

Last edited:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Wow great news! I was expecting the worse on this front, yes we may have slightly overpaid on AAV and I wish it was 8 yars, instead of 6, but thrilled he is staying on!
I’m actually ok w the term. CBJ has him under contract for 7 more seasons. If he’s worth more at that time, means he’s been a great player for us for 7 seasons. We would pay him again, at market rate, or if team sucks we trade him a year early for new assets. If he’s declining at that point (unlikely), CBJ can either have leverage on new contract or let some other team sign him on a bad contract. Win-win, IMO. Not a fan of 8yr contracts, although admittedly D-men age typically more gracefully than forwards.

And if Z wants to move on at that point, it would likely be because CBJ not looking like a contender for a few years. With this signing, he would have earned that right…he gave CBJ many UFA years in this deal, and would let CBJ brass know a year ahead of time so they could swing trade for maximum assets. Can you tell I like the term??!! Maybe a little rich on $ but that’s the market for a player of his caliber (regardless of any warts that we posters see).

Last edited:

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020

Some of us believe Jones may not have been the one carrying that pairing. I’m more comfortable giving the money to Z over Jones because he scores goals. He’ll be slightly overpaid, but honestly, we’re just glad he’s staying.

Before Summer:
Jones-Z
Gavrikov-Del Zotto
Lehtonen-Harrington/Kukan/Peeke/handful of others

Now:
Z-Boqvist
Gavrikov-Bean
Harrington-Kukan/many others could fit on this pair.

I could be missing some. It’s early and my brain isn’t awake;)

Reactions: kerrabria

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's not an overpayment when you consider, if he went to another team, he probably would have gotten similar money.

Exactly.

I said this on the mains but what we're actually seeing is "the market." It's all speculative til the signatures are signed then you see the reality.

Players aren't worth what a message board thinks they're worth. Players are worth what they actually get.

It's all theoretical. But when we get actual proof many reject the truth as being wrong because weeeelll THEY couldn't possibly have missevaluated the situation. They're smart. It's everyone else who is dumb. Hmmmmmmm...

Not to mention most fans are understandably driven by self interest. In an ideal world their own teams would all be hometown discounts because that gives them more money to play with. Most fans would gladly underpay players because it benefits their team. All contracts are threats to their team's payroll.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Yippee Ki Yay!!!! & to all those out there that just developed a whole lot of gas over the term and AAV.. Cheers!!!! Ownership/ Mgmt just said in the most blatant terms: we will build our franchise on Werenski. He agreed to stay.. we build from the net out with offensive defensemen Zach, Boq, Bean, Kukan.. get Peek signed and LETS GO JACKETS!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad