Confirmed with Link: Werenski Signs 6 year 9.5 Million AAV Extension

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

“He’s the best player on your team, one of the best defensemen in the NHL, and young. But should you pay him?”

eyeroll

I hate those Makar/Heiskanen/Hughes comparisons which people keep bringing up, well big reason is Dubas who changed the game.

Thid is Werenski’s 3rd contract and basically UFA contract.
For the 3 they signed rfa deals coming up from elc

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I feel like the whole Zach is better than Seth is a little sour grapes from this group. And this is coming from me, who has always held that Zach is Seth’s equal despite his lack of reputation as a D-zone defender and his seemingly passionless demeanor.

I think both of those things are overblown. Zach is a #1 on his own and doesn’t need Seth to carry a pairing.

As for the money? I’ve been on this forum for 17 years and I can think of maybe 3 times people were ok with both term and AAV. Yes, professional athletes make too much money. Yes, it’s a gobstopping amount for most of the rest of us. But it’s the market.

I agree about the sour grapes to a point. To my untrained eye Seth always looked better than Werenski. Maybe it was his flashy skating, his play in 3 on 3 or his ability to make a very noticeable recovery.

Werenski always looks calm and composed, but rarely flashy, kind of like he's always in position and makes every play look easy.

I agree about the money, but like other forms of entertainers, businesses, and numerous other fields, athletes are paid based in the revenues and profits they generate. It says a lot about our values.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I agree about the sour grapes to a point. To my untrained eye Seth always looked better than Werenski. Maybe it was his flashy skating, his play in 3 on 3 or his ability to make a very noticeable recovery.

Werenski always looks calm and composed, but rarely flashy, kind of like he's always in position and makes every play look easy.

I agree about the money, but like other forms of entertainers, businesses, and numerous other fields, athletes are paid based in the revenues and profits they generate. It says a lot about our values.

I think the absurdity of the money discussion on this board is the belief that player value at any given moment can be viewed with the precision that some apply. If a player gets 6 years at an AAV of 8.5 or 9.0 it is essentially the same amount. If he plays like a top 10 D, you won't care about the amount and if he plays mediocre then either amount is way too much.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think the absurdity of the money discussion on this board is the belief that player value at any given moment can be viewed with the precision that some apply. If a player gets 6 years at an AAV of 8.5 or 9.0 it is essentially the same amount. If he plays like a top 10 D, you won't care about the amount and if he plays mediocre then either amount is way too much.
I've always thought the money was less important than the term. A Bobrovsky or Price contract can strangle a team. A contract like Werenski's just won't.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I've always thought the money was less important than the term. A Bobrovsky or Price contract can strangle a team. A contract like Werenski's just won't.

Baseball teams are notorious for signing guys way past any reasonable shelf life and that can be a killer, though less in baseball with no cap to punish you. You want to spend the money to buy the peak years of a player. They did that well with Werenski.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Baseball teams are notorious for signing guys way past any reasonable shelf life and that can be a killer, though less in baseball with no cap to punish you. You want to spend the money to buy the peak years of a player. They did that well with Werenski.
There is a cap in baseball, just not a hard cap. The only teams who can afford to pay the luxury tax for going over the cap are the rich teams in big cities. The owners of the small market teams just pocket that cash for the most part.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
For what he means to the Oilers (like Werenski to CBJ) Nurse is worth it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
7 or 8 year contracts-if your name isn't McDavid, Crosby (younger), Ovechkin (younger) or a 24 year old elite player who is known to be 100% committed to the game-are terrible ideas. The term is too long given the fragility of the human body, comfort with lifetime financial security and short time span of a player's peak abilities. They should be avoided like the plague. These deals which end when a player is in his late 30s are almost universally disasterous.

Just to nitpick, I think Zs term is one year too long-but given the market realities, his age and the fact that the CBJ absolutely had to hold on to a top player who had options to leave in the short term, it was understandable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad