News Article: Were the fans justified in Booing the Oilers?

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
The fans are just beating the hell out of Tencer over the phone and on Twitter tonight. If the Oilers continue losing for a further four, five years he might want to consider a new profession. The relationship between him and Oilers fans is just acidic right now.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
The fans are just beating the hell out of Tencer over the phone and on Twitter tonight. If the Oilers continue losing for a further four, five years he might want to consider a new profession. The relationship between him and Oilers fans is just acidic right now.

Well deserved too. Hes comes on as very ignorant to a lot of fans when they don't agree with him.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003

I never caught any of the post game tonight, what were some of the "highlights"?

DareDoiler

Jan 29, 2010

Heh yah I just checked out his twitter and they are ripping him apart. Cant say its not entirely undeserved; he's a shill.

Nonetheless, Oilers fans get what they deserve. Until we speak with our pocket books (which will NEVER happen), Katz & co. can do whatever they want.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I never caught any of the post game tonight, what were some of the "highlights"?
Nothing specific that I can remember. Just fans calling him to task for his ridiculous comments about the team being booed. He also insinuated that we don't provide the team with enough positive energy, that Rexall Place is too quiet...

:laugh:

Give the fans something to cheer about and they'll cheer.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Heh yah I just checked out his twitter and they are ripping him apart. Cant say its not entirely undeserved; he's a shill.

Nonetheless, Oilers fans get what they deserve. Until we speak with our pocket books (which will NEVER happen), Katz & co. can do whatever they want.
I haven't given the Oilers a dime of my own money since February 2008 but I understand why people continue to go. We love the jersey, we love the logo... we're invested in it. I also shudder to think what Money Bag Katz will do if fans stop showing up.

Basically, the fanbase is in a bad way right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Normally, I wouldn't condone the use of booing the players on the ice. But this time I agree with it 100%. I sit on my couch and watch the games, so I can just turn off the TV or flip a channel if the game sucks....I've flipped channels on each of the last 6 or 7 games this year. As a paying customer, the fan at Rexall has no channel to flip...they have to sit through the debacle that is currently on the ice.

I think evry part of this organization, from Katz down to Joey, well, maybe not Joey, deserves to be booed for the absolute failure of this organization.

I expected a lot more this year and didn't get it. Just another unhappy Oiler fan now. I've been patient up to this point, but it has run thin. My patience has been tested, and the play of the Oilers and mismanagement of the team has defeated my patience quota.

As a former paying customer it is beyond frustrating to go to a game and and witness an inferior product with a low compete level . At least with the 90's teams you knew that the team was inferior but they would consistently compete at a high level...with the Tambo at the helm the team has been inferior and doesn't compete hard enough all too often. The only options are to voice your displeasure at the game or stop supporting the team financially. I chose the latter.

Based on the recent history there simply isn't enough substance for a fan to hang his hat on with this Management group.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We stopped purchasing mini packs around the same time you did... maybe 2008. I think since this organization rarely gets roasted in the media, the least the fans can do is voice there displeasure at the game - regardless of how it chafes the Oilers PR guys (Tencer and Stauffer).
As for the issue of apathy and such, as a life long fan I can say I have a hard time caring whats going on these days considering how long we've been in the grindhouse.
The day the Oilers clean house with Lowe, Tambo, MacT, Bucky and all the rest of the Old Boys Club - I would feel differently. As of right now I think this organization is one of the worst managed franchises in Pro Sports.
I cannot imagine the level of ineptitude required to draft as highly as they have in consecutive years - the fact that this has happened without any degree of accountability from management says all you need to know about this organization.

I completely agree with your entire post but especially the bolded portion. This is truly beyond comprehension. I sincerely think that Katz is the problem here...he is too busy enjoying the sports scene with his buddies (Lowe et al) and the bottom line looks great.
Where's the concern?

Like you at least I am comforted by the reality that I am not contributing financially to this s**t show.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
LOL...that Mike Comrie quote was running through my head this morning!

And the next morning, Guymez was never seen or heard from again. ;)

Better keep your head on a swivel. I know when I get home I'm going to open up all my smoke detectors to ensure there's been no "modifications".

Good advice comrade Digger but I fear you misunderstood my intentions.

What I really meant to say was that Communism is our friend and ally....Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy!!!! :D

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Or those Ticket Holders can Give Up their tickets, the ones they buy Voluntarily

Really Jimmi?

You are referring to the season ticket holders that had the misplaced expectation before the season started that the product would have a certain level of compete so they made a decision to financially support the team.

Those season ticket holders that are the primary reason why the city still has a team.

Yup those season ticket holders that give me and you the opportunity of sitting in our living rooms and turning the channel if the on ice product stinks like it has for the past 6 years.

Yeah...we shouldn't have any empathy for them. :sarcasm:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Maybe the title of this thread should be 'Are fans justified in NOT booing at games?'

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Absolutely. Fans are paying premium, top five prices for a bottom 5 product. They have every right to be upset.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Unfortunately, it could happen. I say unfortunately because fans will speak with their pocket books when economic times get tight.

It takes a perfect storm of a bad economy and a bad team for there to be empty seats at Rexall. '93 to '96 was that perfect storm. Average attendance for those four seasons was a little under 13,500 a night.

96 - 97 was the first year back in the playoffs for the Oilers and attendance jumped by 2,500 fans a night. With ticket prices as they are now that's a difference of $10 Million in revenue.

The boom is gone, but things are still going well locally enough that there will be fans to fill the seats. But if the U.S. economy doesn't pick up times will get tight in Edmonton over the next couple of years. In that case, I don't see the Oilers doing well enough to avoid empty seats in the house.

I hope I'm wrong on both the economy and the Oilers ongoing suckage. I'm much more confident in the economy at this point. :sarcasm:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
These players are paid millions to win, fans pay a premium for tickets and on top of it the owner wants the province/tax payers to pay for a new arena for these millionaires to play in.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO! to everything that is the Edmonton Oilers today.

I would rather have this team competing in the same non cap world they were in 97 when we had low end playoff team who actually left it all on the ice.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Really Jimmi?

You are referring to the season ticket holders that had the misplaced expectation before the season started that the product would have a certain level of compete so they made a decision to financially support the team.

Those season ticket holders that are the primary reason why the city still has a team.

Yup those season ticket holders that give me and you the opportunity of sitting in our living rooms and turning the channel if the on ice product stinks like it has for the past 6 years.

Yeah...we shouldn't have any empathy for them. :sarcasm:

tbh anybody that selectively attended the STL game(and lets face it so many tickets these days are resold or giveaways or resells) should be at least slightly aware that the odds of a W against that opponent is slim to none. Its like going to a Robert Plant concert and complaining that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones aren't there..;) Then booing to express your displeasure at that fact.

By all means boo the club in a game they should win, or in a game where they should at least be competitive in. But to boo the team against their most difficult opponent in the league (and no matchup has been harder for this club) is kinda silly.

If yesterdays game happened at home I would have booed, if I ever went to games anymore..:p: and I wouldv'e actully booed the W here against the Preds last week as the Oilers played like complete **** in that game as well but Preds are so futile sometimes you can't help but win.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
tbh anybody that selectively attended the STL game(and lets face it so many tickets these days are resold or giveaways or resells) should be at least slightly aware that the odds of a W against that opponent is slim to none. Its like going to a Robert Plant concert and complaining that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones aren't there..;) Then booing to express your displeasure at that fact.

By all means boo the club in a game they should win, or in a game where they should at least be competitive in. But to boo the team against their most difficult opponent in the league (and no matchup has been harder for this club) is kinda silly.

If yesterdays game happened at home I would have booed, if I ever went to games anymore..:p: and I wouldv'e actully booed the W here against the Preds last week as the Oilers played like complete **** in that game as well but Preds are so futile sometimes you can't help but win.

Wait what? The Oilers are expected to lose so if they play like they don't care and look horrible on the ice then you should have known better and should just accept it?

If that's the loser mentality that the fans are going to have then they deserve to see the team lose in front of them every night.

Again, the question isn't 'Should we boo?', but rather 'How dare you not boo?'

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wait what? The Oilers are expected to lose so if they play like they don't care and look horrible on the ice then you should have known better and should just accept it?

If that's the loser mentality that the fans are going to have then they deserve to see the team lose in front of them every night.

Again, the question isn't 'Should we boo?', but rather 'How dare you not boo?'

The Oilers,I expect, will lose against the St Louis Blues. This is our current "Dallas" type nemesis complete with Hitchcock running the gunboats. The Blues like no other team in the league have our number in every way. If you don't know this, become acquainted with our recent record against this club. Next, look at the respective player lineups and relative depths and wonder why this isn't much more than a foregone conclusion. Boo management by all means in a matchup like that. We're really not equipped to beat the Blues.

The Oilers played well against a very good opponent, and the hardest matchup they ever see, for 32mins allowing only 9shots against and being down 1-0. The oilers had 3 serious scoring chances in that span. They then became unravelled and frustrated and opened things up which was their undoing. Sticking with the game plan they had a better chance.

But heres the deal, and what I find unfortunate. The Oilers players attended to the game plan for 32mins of a game. Theres the majority of games played by this team where they don't buy in period.

The problem becomes that people tend not to like system play here. That fans magically figure(and many people actually state this) that the Oilers should just play run and gun hockey and lose games in which they allow 6 or more GA.

Specific to the Blues game somebody even said it was better to lose 6-3 than 3-0. I don't see much difference.

Its an illusion the Oilers didn't play well against the Blues. They played a better game than they play most nights and with players now at least considering, and attempting all zones play.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I believe the fans have every right to boo but it's the management that should get it not RNH or Hall or Eberle as they have been put in a position to fail. No secondary scoring support for the young guys, they are beat up and hurting. Too much pressure all year on them and they have regressed. Not enough size in the top 6.

Management could have traded for a center with size that could play. They could have developed one over the last 20 years as well.

Fire Lowe and Tambo, That's what should be "chanted" at the games, hell, the players would love it and play with a lot more energy, book it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The Oilers,I expect, will lose against the St Louis Blues. This is our current "Dallas" type nemesis complete with Hitchcock running the gunboats. The Blues like no other team in the league have our number in every way. If you don't know this, become acquainted with our recent record against this club. Next, look at the respective player lineups and relative depths and wonder why this isn't much more than a foregone conclusion. Boo management by all means in a matchup like that. We're really not equipped to beat the Blues.

The Oilers played well against a very good opponent, and the hardest matchup they ever see, for 32mins allowing only 9shots against and being down 1-0. The oilers had 3 serious scoring chances in that span. They then became unravelled and frustrated and opened things up which was their undoing. Sticking with the game plan they had a better chance.

But heres the deal, and what I find unfortunate. The Oilers players attended to the game plan for 32mins of a game. Theres the majority of games played by this team where they don't buy in period.

The problem becomes that people tend not to like system play here. That fans magically figure(and many people actually state this) that the Oilers should just play run and gun hockey and lose games in which they allow 6 or more GA.

Specific to the Blues game somebody even said it was better to lose 6-3 than 3-0. I don't see much difference.

Its an illusion the Oilers didn't play well against the Blues. They played a better game than they play most nights and with players now at least considering, and attempting all zones play.

but no one said they were expecting the oilers to win, its the fact they continually look like they arent even trying to win. thats the frustrating part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad