News Article: Were the fans justified in Booing the Oilers?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A lot has been said about the game on Saturday and much of the conversation has been about the fans treatment of the players.

Jonathan Willis makes the point that the fans just bothering to show up at all is something to be recognized and appreciated.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/03/24/nevermind-the-boos-the-edmonton-oilers-should-be-happy-enough-people-showed-up-to-jeer-at-all/

I have stopped buying ticket packages for 3 years now because I felt strongly enough that the Management team was not up to the task of putting together a competitive team and I was not willing to support incompetence with my hard earned money.

For the people that still decide to purchase tickets and go to the games I completely respect their decision to voice their displeasure at the quality of hockey they were witnessing. I think though there is a misunderstanding at were this displeasure was directed. I think it was at the organization and not the individual players. Its the organization that needs to understand how much this team has failed its fan base.
Boos are the first step...apathy is the next.

The Boos at least show that the fans care....I see that as a positive.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not a fan of booing for the sake of booing, but in this instance the fans were right. Although last time this happened the players played like real **** and got worse after the fans turned on the players.

OilerNut*

Maybe if the players showed up for the game they wouldn't of got booed. And any players who disagree with the fans booing need to be booted off this team, as it is obvious they don't give a crap.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There have been times this season where booing would of been completely acceptable.

This was not one of them.

Booing in this situation just puts more pressure ona a team already feeling a lot of pressure.

Watching the game, it was boring as hell. We played a defense first system against one of the best defensive type teams in league... Kinda stupid to try to beat the Blues at thier own game. But. To be honest we were more successful than I thought we would be.

Far from the worst game this year by the Oil. But one of the most boring and fans pay to be entertained not put to sleep.

Still shouldn't have boo'd

OilerNut*

There have been times this season where booing would of been completely acceptable.

Booing in this situation just puts more pressure ona a team already feeling a lot of pressure.

Watching the game, it was boring as hell. We played a defense first system against one of the best defensive type teams in league... Kinda stupid to try to beat the Blues at thier own game. But. To be honest we were more successful than I thought we would be.

Far from the worst game this year by the Oil. But one of the most boring and fans pay to be entertained not put to sleep.

We were totally outclassed by the Blues, when it was our biggest game of the year. There was no effort...

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the fans are justified in booing because we have seen glipses of this team looking amazing. but then we get force fed a few more stinkers inbetween the good games. bring the compete, dont get boo'd

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Not a fan of booing, but I didn't blame anyone for booing on Saturday.

As much as is being made about it, it wasn't like the majority of Rexall was booing. It was a smattering of fans here and there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The team was an embarassment, i don't care how good the Blues are.
They didn't compete, plain and simple. They looked like a pee wee team going against a professional team and that's completely unacceptable. Hell, even Krueger was disgusted by that performance and for an ultra positive guy like him to say that should be pretty telling.
I think there was a 5 minute stretch in the 3rd when they competed like hell, otherwise they were half assing it most of the game. The Blues didn't even have to break a sweat.
As long as they compete and put forth an honest effort even in a loss, i'm sure that the fans would have appreciated it but whatever that was on Saturday night was a disgrace to the Oil Drop.

I think the fans have been pretty damn easy on the team considering the trash that they have had to witness the last 4 seasons. At least last season, the team was putting forth solid efforts pretty consistently. There have been at least 5 games this season when they didn't even compete and that's simply not acceptable.
Also, the fans pay good money to watch an entertaining product and get their moneys worth so they have every right to boo and if the players can't handle it, then maybe they should ask for a trade to Florida or Phoenix where they can play in front of a passionless, half empty arena.
The bottom line is.... If you're not playing up to par, expect to get booed on occasion. Suck it up and come out stronger the next game.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I missed the booing I guess. I had to turned the tv off ... was to angry. Blues skated around like we where 40 year olds out there. We should be play like the Blues do.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
The fans are upset. They're booing at the players, the coaches AND the management. But only the players are feeling the heat.

If you've been an Oilers fan for any length of time, you've been witness to some of the greatest and some of the most terribly played hockey games ever. WE KNOW SUCK WHEN WE SEE IT. These fans will cheer for anything except poor effort. Its not THAT you lose, its HOW you lose. If you're busting your butt, taking shots, battling for every inch of the ice and playing with passion, there will be no boos. Don't pee on our heads and tell us its raining. You're in the hunt for a playoff spot. Act like it. After a loss, the headline should be "Oilers lose hard fought battle..." not "Oilers serve up stinker in listless, low shot snooze fest...".

Its unacceptable to see anything less than 100% effort at this point. If you're not playing like you give a ******* now, you're not going to make it. Instead of making us think that we just need a couple of extra pieces, it make us think that the whole system is wrong, top to bottom.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Sport is entertainment.

The fans were not entertained and made it clear.

If the players can't handle it then go apply at McDonalds where you don't work as an entertainer.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
the fans were justified to boo the last 3 years but for some reason the veil of "future potential has lifted" and they finally see the reality of a horrendous product on ice.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Makes a statement. That we are tired of the incompetence that management has iced. The boos give me hope tbh, that we arent mindlessly buying into Katz and Tambo's "master plan".

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
LOL, these turkeys have no idea at all how much of a free ride of patience this fan base has given them. The team and I say that in it's entirety including management, coaches and the owner should be booed into oblivion at times.

This goes back to the fantasy land of pro sports where whenever anything is done that negatively affects the fans, whether it be a player is let go or a player goes elsewhere for more money or season tickets go up in price or an owner wants a city to pay for an arena or a lock out it is called a 'business decision' and yet the same pro sports organizations expect the fans to be 'fans' and support the team no matter what and treat the product in a fashion that is far removed from an entertainment business decision.

This team has regressed, is boring as hell to watch and has a clown show for a management team and the boys get upset over a few boos after getting shut out at home? Get used to it, it's only going to get worse.

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
LOL

yes they were justified. If i was there i'd be booing right along with them. Overpriced tickets and beer to see pathetic play after play.

Sorry, this aint cutting it. Hopefully a message was sent that this rebuilding "grace" period is wearing thin on everyone.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

I would have booed too. totally justified.

why shouldn't the fans boo the crappy job by management and the crappy effort put forth on the ice? are they supposed to keep drinking the kool-aid and give them a standing ovation for doing nothing but showing up to collect their fat paycheques?

fans should either cheer or boo the quality of the product on the ice. The Oiler management and players should be grateful it was only booing.

I'm not normally a big fan of booing players, but I think the fans were booing the effort. how many years do people have to pay their hard earned money to see these guys not even put in an honest effort? even coach K said the effort wasn't there.

I would also think part of the boos were directed at management to say "see, look at this crap we have to pay for after 3 years of being the worst team in the league"

even if you go with the official line and this is year 3 of the rebuild. how many teams can get three #1 draft picks and still be fighting to be one of the very worst teams in the league? the team is actually playing worse than last year, despite their spot at what, 25th in the standings.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why hasn't the fire ST or Lowe chant started if it's the management who everyone is pissed off at?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Of course they are justified. How else are they going to convey their disappointed to the team/coaches/management?

I don't see the Oilers handing out any surveys.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Normally, I wouldn't condone the use of booing the players on the ice. But this time I agree with it 100%. I sit on my couch and watch the games, so I can just turn off the TV or flip a channel if the game sucks....I've flipped channels on each of the last 6 or 7 games this year. As a paying customer, the fan at Rexall has no channel to flip...they have to sit through the debacle that is currently on the ice.

I think evry part of this organization, from Katz down to Joey, well, maybe not Joey, deserves to be booed for the absolute failure of this organization.

I expected a lot more this year and didn't get it. Just another unhappy Oiler fan now. I've been patient up to this point, but it has run thin. My patience has been tested, and the play of the Oilers and mismanagement of the team has defeated my patience quota.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Absolutely they were justified, they pay good money and get poor value and little hope of improvement.

They weren't booing individual players; they were booing an incompetent organization. People are beginning to realize the Tamblowe show, which created this mess, will not be able to get them out. Welcome to the Florida or NYI rebuild folks. This ain't Pittsburg or Chicago.

There are simply too many holes, too many missing pieces and too many players who've become accustomed to losing; when coupled with a clear lack of "quality players" within the organization, and Tamblowe's history of blowing 9 out of 10 trades .... the future looks pretty much like the past.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I don't blame the people there at all. I would've booed if I was there too. I've said it for the last while now this team needs a huge shakeup. This means 1 of the fab5 must be traded to send a message loud and clear. They think, the fab5, they are untouchables right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad