News Article: Were the fans justified in Booing the Oilers?

Puckschmuck*

This is hilarious. We are having the exact same conversation on the Jets board. The last two games against Washington, one of the crappiest teams in the league, and they let the Caps skate rings around them. They played two passionless, heartless, pathetic games. There was no will to win there. 120 minutes of watery ****. I'm not a big fan of booing my team, but how can you defeat and dominate top notch teams like the Bruins and then play like 5 year old girls against ****** teams? It was pathetic and I completely understand why the home crowd booed.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
Chant for the next game...

KruTamboLowe must Go..
KruTamboLowe must Go..
KruTamboLowe must Go..
KruTamboLowe must Go..

Fire Tambi! Fire Lowe! Management has got to go!

...but, I want Krueger in there somehow.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
This is hilarious. We are having the exact same conversation on the Jets board. The last two games against Washington, one of the crappiest teams in the league, and they let the Caps skate rings around them. They played two passionless, heartless, pathetic games. There was no will to win there. 120 minutes of watery ****. I'm not a big fan of booing my team, but how can you defeat and dominate top notch teams like the Bruins and then play like 5 year old girls against ****** teams? It was pathetic and I completely understand why the home crowd booed.

Man the more i think about it, the more I realize how similar the situations are with the jets and the oilers. These teams should definitely be on the up and up, instead we are both stuck in pergatory with teams that show absolute flashes of greatness but can't string together wins like a good team can

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If the players were upset with the booing they need to grow up. And I am not talking about Hall, RNH etc., I am talking Horcoff & Co. It is easy to forget that they are still young men and young men tend to take things more personally.

A fan who lives and suffers with his team, pays dear money to see them every night and spends a lot of his free time thinking of and/or discussing his, or hers, team has the perfect right to boo, or not to boo, if they feels that there is no commitment by the players on the ice. It's basically the only way of communicating your feelings to the players (but in this case more accurately the management imo). I don't even know how a fan is supposed to get through and if the players don't realize this they live in a bubble, and ftr I think that this is more disturbing than the booing itself.

Is it unjustified at this point to be booing? I don't think so and no player on the ice should think so. If they think that booing by default is the wrong way to communicate then they should explain themselves clearly and provide a "analysis" on why they should not be booed. In this I would also hope that they are able to acknowledge why people are reacting as they are. I'm sorry but I don't buy for a second that 20 or so kids and young men on the ice know better and thus are allowed to school a large chunk of the fan base which is upset with how things are going and how we are loosing.

:sueme:

OK, rant over.
Going back to positive mode! Oilers win 10-0 tonight, Gagner with 7 goals and 3 assists :yo:

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Completely justified. Players are allowed to be criticize by the people paying top dollar to watch them. They should be held accountable and this is one of the only way fans can hold players accountable.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The booing will lead to Hall's trade request not Tambi or Lowe's firing.

If you want new management, don't go to the game. Simple.

So Hall will request a trade because the fans booed the team several times during horrible performances?
If that's the case then i don't want him here if he's that thin skinned. Trade him to Montreal, Vancouver, NYR or especially Philly and he'll see how good he had it here. Can you imagine how cranky those fans would be after being in the basement for 3 going on 4 seasons? If anything, Oiler fans have been too forgiving.
Seriously though, what player has ever requested a trade because of a few boos? Do you realize how silly that sounds?

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
On one hand it's been the attitude of this organization for several years even before Katz, which has filtered down through the players, that fans should be just happy they have a team here.

Wonder how that will fly in a couple of years when no one is in the stands. It's coming. Katz might not think it is but it will if this team doesn't turn it around. Nothing will actually change until people stop coming.

On the other hand, I think Hall's words are being turned around a bit. I think what he's saying is that they will do their thing and play to win and keep to whatever plan they're doing regardless of what fans think. Which is true. Fans are allowed to boo but it's not going to have that much effect on the team at the end of the day.

Hall is one of the only guys on the team who's attitude I like. He's tired of being around a bunch of losers and that frustration becomes more and more apparent with every loss. He said the team was "afraid to win" after the Detroit OT loss and that's very true. Time to sack up gents and go from being an inconsistent bad team to a good one. Too bad we just have crappy vets here that can't show them how.

Last edited:

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I was annoyed by the booing. I thought the Oilers got outplayed but it wasn't an effort issue so I don't see what booing does besides making Oilers fans look like *******s on national TV. If the Oilers had mailed it in then by all means boo until you're blue in the face, but I saw lots of plays where guys were sacrificing to make a play and it just wasn't working Saturday. I think Kreuger got outcoached and St. Louis played very well. There have been a number of games this year where I've been pissed off watching this team and Saturday's game wasn't one of them.

I think fans would've been better off to be chanting "Fire Tambo" or "Fire Kreuger." Then the message is directed to where the anger is felt for most people.

The thing is, most of us believe that the effort really wasn't there. I can't deny the fact that we got out coached and outplayed by a better team but a lot of our players just didn't show up for this game which was the most important game for this team all season. Even Kreuger admitted to that.

For me Hemsky and Yakupov were the only guys all game that showed this game meant a lot. Hemsky started off a little laid back but when he realized this wasn't gonna work then he changed his style and started driving to the net more and getting more shots on net instead of going for the fancy play we normally see from him. He pretty much did everything he could to try to win this game. If more players had to do the same then I don't think we would have heard the boos Saturday night even with the loss.

It was a chance for a guy like Eberle to show his leadership abilities and really step up his game. Well I never saw any difference in Eberle's game than I saw in any other game this season. He coasted all game and tried to pull off fancy dekes while going 1 on 3 against Blues dmen resulting in coughing up the puck and getting caught out of position. In fact there was even one case where I saw him ice the puck instead of taking a hit which absolutely drove me nuts. It just wasn't acceptable for a guy wearing an A on this team.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The thing is, most of us believe that the effort really wasn't there. I can't deny the fact that we got out coached and outplayed by a better team but a lot of our players just didn't show up for this game which was the most important game for this team all season. Even Kreuger admitted to that.

For me Hemsky and Yakupov were the only guys all game that showed this game meant a lot. Hemsky started off a little laid back but when he realized this wasn't gonna work then he changed his style and started driving to the net more and getting more shots on net instead of going for the fancy play we normally see from him. He pretty much did everything he could to try to win this game. If more players had to do the same then I don't think we would have heard the boos Saturday night even with the loss.

It was a chance for a guy like Eberle to show his leadership abilities and really step up his game. Well I never saw any difference in Eberle's game than I saw in any other game this season. He coasted all game and tried to pull off fancy dekes while going 1 on 3 against Blues dmen resulting in coughing up the puck and getting caught out of position. In fact there was even one case where I saw him ice the puck instead of taking a hit which absolutely drove me nuts. It just wasn't acceptable for a guy wearing an A on this team.

You put the finger right on the main problem. If we get outplayed and out coached I'd be ok with that (not happy, but ok) as long as the players give their all in terms of effort. We'll never win every game but I want to see the team try and try again even if it is apparent that we're being schooled by another team.

Puckschmuck*

The Jets' situation is infinitely better than the Oilers' situation. They're competitive in their conference.

This year, yes. Next year when we move the Midwest or whatever the hell it's called, it will be much more competitive.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Fans pay the big money to be entertained. They can cheer and jeer all they want.

Whomever doesn't pay to watch has no right to complain about the booing of those that do pay.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Maybe if the organization doesn't like the 'booing', then can just give the ticket holders their money back; and replace them with 'rah rah' birds.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
A little late to the party, but I was at this game.
Don't know if it was mentioned, but several times the crowd tried to get the Oilers into the game.
They weren't too interested I guess. The fans also boo'd several blatant non calls as well. So this team getting butt hurt over being boo'd should have a glance at their checking account, and then the mirror, and play with a little heart.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
Of course they were justified. This is entertainment and we all have the right to not buy tickets and not go to games but you still want to get your monies worth if you do. It is much like going to a nice restaurant and expecting to get what you pay for. If you don't, many individuals will voice their displeasure and more times than not get compensation in one form or another. No such luck in hockey so a few boos are more than fair. I don't usually boo but I wouldn't take offense to anyone else doing it with the current state of the franchise.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
So Taylor Hall is just going to learn to accept losing year after year? Like the fans have?

His ELC is burned up this season. He has won hockey games his whole life except for the last 3 years. His agent is Bobby Orr. Hall isn't going to want to waste away his hockey career waiting for Steve Tambellini and Kevin Lowe to figure things out.

After another bottom 5 finish this year how many more years do you think Hall will want to be a part of this?

Then maybe he shouldn't have signed a year contract. :shakehead

Just pointless "sky is falling" speculation.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton

As long as this joke is captain of the team I don't see much changing. Boo's will continue to reign until the end of the season.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
Horcoff is far from the problem. Look at our record with vs without him. There are other vets on this team that haven't held their weight. Staples wrote a decent article on the subject today on EdmontonJournal.com. It's pretty obvious. Not to mention the kids haven't shown up. Hall and Eberle continue to do fly bys around key areas of the ice and have shown little effort to play intense minutes (mostly Eberle, but Hall is not immune because he attempts to play the part of a puck moving offensive player). The boos were 100% justified by the fans keeping this team on the ice who are simply tired of watching a floundering franchise.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Fans booing was justified. Need to voice their frustration with the effort level being shown. Lazy bums.

Also, i was saying boourns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad