News Article: Were the fans justified in Booing the Oilers?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Of course it's justified. Instead of players getting upset with it they should take it as a message and get their **** together. Seems only logical, right?

Angry Boys

Jun 23, 2009
The Fans paid their hard earned money for a ticket, so they have every right to boo.
Oilers Fans know when their team is not giving 100% and when thats the case its justified

Respect is earned, its not a God given right. Players / management and the press need to understand that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I dunno about the booing in this particular game. Like I said the Oilers were clearly going to be up against it with the Blues who brought their A game to town and are perfectly matched to beat us. Which they do for fun.

That said I saw several indications of good Oilers efforts in the game but not the type of which is likely to garner favor from all fans. The Oilers mounted scoring chances and had as many chances as the Blues did in the first 32mins or so. They also limited the Blues to 9shots to that point both of which are impressive feats against a club much better than them and for which they don't have the personnel to lineup with that club.

There was plenty try in the game, and for once lately a team that is at least trying to play a semblance of a system game. For close to two periods it was one of the oilers better defensive efforts of the year. You could at least discern system play.
But again this not likely to appease the fan that judges games based on Goals scored and outcome only.

Fact of the matter is the Oilers have played easily a dozen games worse than this. Quite a few of them at home.

My issue is why pick THIS performance to boo the club. They were up against it Saturday and the effort was there. Really this is one game where the team could do literally everything well and still loose. The Blues are our WORST matchup in the whole league. Period. Few fans seem to get that.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Despite the fact that they were picking up some points they still had a rotten homestand and the fans are fed up with management and the state of the franchise. I don't think that it was directed at the players on the ice.

I haven't seen the fanbase in such a fervor since we turned on MacT and demanded his firing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Gee Jimmi, I don't recall the fine print on the ticket that says not to boo. Perhaps you can scan it in and post it for everyone.

You don't read well, nor did you read the thread. Earlier I agreed it was fine. I still have a tough time understanding why someone would spend SO much on something they don't like and don't seem to enjoy.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Despite the fact that they were picking up some points they still had a rotten homestand and the fans are fed up with management and the state of the franchise. I don't think that it was directed at the players on the ice.

I haven't seen the fanbase in such a fervor since we turned on MacT and demanded his firing.

I would've been fine with a fire tambo chant. I really do think that sometimes, and especially on say a Saturday night, that the fans just get disappointed that they're not seeing big moments from the home side. Which STL had a large part in shutting down. Still, the Oilers had several close in chances in the game, never scored, but could've scored a few times while it was still a game. Sometimes people focus on the score and unsuccessful rushes and lack of execution rather than what is causing it.

I'll say it again too. The Blues were a virtual machine transitioning the puck up ice. Man, rapidfire tape to tape passes. Just unbelievable stuff. I could go to a game like that and even admire the polished play of the one team.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I dunno about the booing in this particular game. Like I said the Oilers were clearly going to be up against it with the Blues who brought their A game to town and are perfectly matched to beat us. Which they do for fun.

That said I saw several indications of good Oilers efforts in the game but not the type of which is likely to garner favor from all fans. The Oilers mounted scoring chances and had as many chances as the Blues did in the first 32mins or so. They also limited the Blues to 9shots to that point both of which are impressive feats against a club much better than them and for which they don't have the personnel to lineup with that club.

There was plenty try in the game, and for once lately a team that is at least trying to play a semblance of a system game. For close to two periods it was one of the oilers better defensive efforts of the year. You could at least discern system play.
But again this not likely to appease the fan that judges games based on Goals scored and outcome only.

Fact of the matter is the Oilers have played easily a dozen games worse than this. Quite a few of them at home.

My issue is why pick THIS performance to boo the club. They were up against it Saturday and the effort was there. Really this is one game where the team could do literally everything well and still loose. The Blues are our WORST matchup in the whole league. Period. Few fans seem to get that.

Like I said in an earlier post, some people believe that the team put forth a good effort Saturday night but I for one, as well as the majority of Oiler's fans including their head coach didn't see it that way. I'm not going to repeat everything I said earlier but I will say that when playing an important game like this, if your gameplan and style of play just ain't getting the job done then you make some changes in your game.

This game was an opportunity for guys who don't normally hit to start hitting, for players who don't usually drive the net to start crashing the crease, for guys who don't normally block shots to start blocking shots. It was the perfect opportunity for a guy who don't usually fight to drop the gloves. When teammates see other players doing these things then it gets the momentum going for the players as well as the fans and the other guys on the team start following suit. It just didn't happen this game.

Sure we may have played a bit better defensively but can you honestly name more than one guy who really went out of their realm and showed some urgency to win this game?

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Yes, it is totally 100% justified. The fans are paying to watch a game, and are reacting appropriately to the piss-poor product that they shell out their hard-earned dollars to watch.

Allforshow

Mar 13, 2013
I have been too 8 games in the last 2 years. It's a 5 hour drive to rexall for me plus hotels and 175$ tickets that suck. They have lost all the games I have been to. 4 out of the 8 were over time loses when the oilers where up 2 goals going into the third. It's been hard but I just want to be there when they win. I'm going to the Vancouver game on the 30th and the Calgary game on the 1st. If they lose I'm gonna start booing and quit supporting this. It wouldn't be do bad if tickets where a reasonable price but when these guys don't even show up it's hard not to throw on a canucks jersey. I think van city fans out number Edmonton fans in Edmonton at the games anyways.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
So Hall will request a trade because the fans booed the team several times during horrible performances?
If that's the case then i don't want him here if he's that thin skinned. Trade him to Montreal, Vancouver, NYR or especially Philly and he'll see how good he had it here. Can you imagine how cranky those fans would be after being in the basement for 3 going on 4 seasons? If anything, Oiler fans have been too forgiving.
Seriously though, what player has ever requested a trade because of a few boos? Do you realize how silly that sounds?

He will request a trade because he is stuck on a bad team with piss poor management that has done nothing to improve it for 3 straight seasons despite the gaping holes that even joe average fan can identify.

The fans were not booing the players, IMO, they were booing the soon to be last place team in the West. The state of the franchise.

Sooner or later Hall is going to get tired of waiting for Lowe and Tambi to figure out the obvious. I wonder if he will be around to see the new arena.

Last edited:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
You don't read well, nor did you read the thread. Earlier I agreed it was fine. I still have a tough time understanding why someone would spend SO much on something they don't like and don't seem to enjoy.

Just say, what is a hundred dollars to you, might be a penny to me. Get it?

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I have been too 8 games in the last 2 years. It's a 5 hour drive to rexall for me plus hotels and 175$ tickets that suck. They have lost all the games I have been to. 4 out of the 8 were over time loses when the oilers where up 2 goals going into the third. It's been hard but I just want to be there when they win. I'm going to the Vancouver game on the 30th and the Calgary game on the 1st. If they lose I'm gonna start booing and quit supporting this. It wouldn't be do bad if tickets where a reasonable price but when these guys don't even show up it's hard not to throw on a canucks jersey. I think van city fans out number Edmonton fans in Edmonton at the games anyways.

Really?

I'm done with this team. I'm sick of traveling 12 hours and spending well over $1000 to come see these guys lose everytime in the same way. I'm not going to anymore games, throwing out all my jerseys and autographed stuff and I'm cheering for Vancouver from here on out. Done with these losers can't watch this garbage anymore. Scrap this rebuild, oilers are gonna be losers nothing can be done about it.

You posted this 10 days ago.

Allforshow

Mar 13, 2013
Yep. I bought the tickets on feb 15th so I'm stuck going, not sure who
I am gonna cheer for because I'm getting pretty tired of going all that way to see a lose or dropping a big lead. I was at the feb 4 th Vancouver loss and the recent Detroit loss. I live south of lethbridge and love going to Edmonton just to party and hit clubs so that's the main reason in excited for this trip, not the 380 it costs to go sit in row 22 and watch the oilers sleep

OilerNut*

Yep. I bought the tickets on feb 15th so I'm stuck going, not sure who
I am gonna cheer for because I'm getting pretty tired of going all that way to see a lose or dropping a big lead. I was at the feb 4 th Vancouver loss and the recent Detroit loss. I live south of lethbridge and love going to Edmonton just to party and hit clubs so that's the main reason in excited for this trip, not the 380 it costs to go sit in row 22 and watch the oilers sleep

:laugh: ok...

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Hockey culture really annoys me sometimes. From the media always bringing up debates about the level of appropriateness of celebrations to questioning booing, it is all just a bunch of PG13 garbage. Take a look around the world. European football games have violence in the stands and neo nazi chants and we are having a dicussion about a tame chorus of boos? Did someone on the team have their feelings hurt? Did we take the wind out of the home team's sails like Tencer suggests? There is a line to be drawn about correct behaviour at sporting events and Oilers fans have done absolutely nothing worth talking about. The Oilers are absolutely beloved in this city and always will be, but this isn't some kind of support group that needs to hold the team's hand every step of the way.

Last edited:

Empros*

Maybe the players should be awarded participation medals after each game with a polite applause from the plebs.

Allforshow

Mar 13, 2013
Yeah, I'm sure Edmonton pales in comparison to the party mecca of Surrey though...:sarcasm:

We also hit red deer for some of the easiest girls in Alberta. Going to games or not getting out of my small town and hitting Edmonton is one of my favorite things to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad