Post-Game Talk: We're Horrible. Except for Nylander.... And Brown | Leafs fall to Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Well, Babs must be depressed coaching this team, but we'll have our revenge.

OoVp9DT.gif

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
It's noteworthy that most of the carry overs from previous seasons looked like crap, while the best players were not around previous years.

It's going to take time for Babcock to get these guys to shake off the years of garbage coaching. Give it another 10-15 games before there's any semblance of decent hockey from this team.
That's a good point worth keeping in mind. It's going to take longer than one pre-season for 'the Babcock effect' to really do anything, especially when the team isn't even very good on paper to begin with.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
How in the world is everyone *****ing about Bozak then? Kadri seems to have had an awful game (I only caught the last period).

I don't get it either.

What we know is that Babcock gives out ice time for those that are hustling. Matthias looks to have caught his favour this game and finished the game in the Top 4. Boyes, Bozak and JVR filled out the top 4 with Bozak playing the most of any Leaf forward.

Kadri and Lupul dipped to under 4 mins in the 2nd period… Kadri played 0:10 more than Clune in the 2nd… not a strong game by either.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Ugly thing to watch.

Babcock said he didn't watch the games from last season. Wanted the guys to come in with a clean slate. Babcock said after their last poor performance that he'd skated them too hard - took the life out of them before the game. So he rested them Sunday.

That look at the end of the game said it all. NOW, Babcock has seen the true nature of last season's heartless, lackluster team.

Could get interesting.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
Based on ice time, it looks like Babcock sees Matthias, Bozak and Boyes as earning their spots thus far.

In the debate over Centers:

Bozak - 17:43 including 3:15 on the PP (even)
Kadri - 14:35 including 0:58 on the PP (-3)

Kadri had a better night on the face-offs (70%) vs 44%

Are you also counting short handed situations?

Kadri didn't PK and Bozak did.

As you pointed out, Bozak was only 44% on the faceoffs. He couldn't get off the ice and hand to PK.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The good thing about this season is that if players continue to give half efforts throughout the season they will be in the press box and if they continue to do so they wont be on this team. So as bad as we may be atleast management according to what they have said will implement a culture of hard work and accountability.

champs*

at first I was worried about the Babcock effect and possibly making the playoffs and ****ing up the rebuild and then I watched this game :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are you also counting short handed situations?

Kadri didn't PK and Bozak did.

As you pointed out, Bozak was only 44% on the faceoffs. He couldn't get off the ice and hand to PK.

Just counting the game report. Wouldn't your point suggest that Babcock sees him as a more versatile player… used in more situations?

Bozak is what he is… maybe a 1C or maybe a 2 or 3C. He had a decent game as far as Bozak goes and was the forward that Babcock went to the most.

If we think we found a 1C in Kadri, I'd say we shouldn't call off the search party. Doesn't look like he is earning Babcock's confidence just yet.

Still early but this game wasn't a highlight reel one for him though.

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
Not one of the players acquired in the Kessel trade are legitimate NHL players....just a bunch of spare parts.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well if the line is guys being able to take the jobs of vets to get on the roster....might not be that tough for rookies to get on this team.

Pretty lackluster from the guys who should have had something to prove to the new coaching staff.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Skating can be improved. Look at Tavares.

Obviously, Reinhart is nowhere close to Tavares (highly doubt he'll ever be).

Sure but its no gurantee that said player with bad skating will improve just because its happened before.

Cody Hodgson was a terrible skater coming into the league and it hasnt improved much at all. Same with Luke Schenn and many others.

It goes both ways. Reinhart will prolly be a solid player but nothing all that great.

Mad Brills*

The leafs being awful this year will be good for the long term future, get one of matthews/chchyrun/laine/tkachuk.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Sure but its no gurantee that said player with bad skating will improve just because its happened before.

Cody Hodgson was a terrible skater coming into the league and it hasnt improved much at all. Same with Luke Schenn and many others.

It goes both ways. Reinhart will prolly be a solid player but nothing all that great.

Reinharts skating has greatly improved this year. He is the type of player that beats you with his mind and has the best vision I've ever seen of a Sabres prospect. He will be the ultimate compliment to a sniper such as Kane. Eichel/Reinhart combo down the middle is something I've dreamed of for the last 2 years. You guys have the chance to have that next year, but the new draft lottery odds significantly impacted that chance.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Babs:
i liked our kids, I didn't get anything from the top two lines.

oouh.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I don't get it either.

What we know is that Babcock gives out ice time for those that are hustling. Matthias looks to have caught his favour this game and finished the game in the Top 4. Boyes, Bozak and JVR filled out the top 4 with Bozak playing the most of any Leaf forward.

Kadri and Lupul dipped to under 4 mins in the 2nd period… Kadri played 0:10 more than Clune in the 2nd… not a strong game by either.

Explain why Nylander and Brown got only 13 minutes then? Could it be preseason is the time of year you try things out to find out things about players your not sure of where they fit?

Don't know exactly what your trying to prove or what you have against Kadri. Let's just wait until the season starts when games matter before we start trumping this Bozak I have zero points in an offensive role so far in pre season in any way shape or form shall we. Just a little too premature even for you Pookie.

The topic should be about the kids Nylander, Brown that will once again history repeating it's self get shafted if sent down. The theme that is the Toronto Maple Leafs in how we have Bozak as the top line center far more longer than he deserves. Heck I'm betting Babcock is praying to wake up tomorrow and guaranteed contracts in the NHL didn't exist. The first guy gone would be ......

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Kadri will be the first to be traded. It is no suprise that his name is already popping up in trade rumours just weeks after Lou was hired.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
Just counting the game report. Wouldn't your point suggest that Babcock sees him as a more versatile player… used in more situations?

Bozak is what he is… maybe a 1C or maybe a 2 or 3C. He had a decent game as far as Bozak goes and was the forward that Babcock went to the most.

If we think we found a 1C in Kadri, I'd say we shouldn't call off the search party. Doesn't look like he is earning Babcock's confidence just yet.

Still early but this game wasn't a highlight reel one for him though.

Bozak only redeeming quality is his face off. If he can't even utilize that, what good is he to Babcock?

In my opinion he was demoted.

Even Babcock knows that Bozak is a product of Kessel, he can't generate any offense himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad