Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I was at this game!!!! :nod:

Top line played great.

Rielly played well.

Gleason played well.

Love the win :)

But honestly, why was Bozak's second disallowed???
Francophone ref. Only reason anyone can think of the call was that bad.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
no he's not, sweets. he's a RFA (according to capgeek anyway).

I've defended Nonis but if he gives Franson one red cent I will throw rocks at his head.

Oh yeah, you're right. I forgot he's an August baby so he spends an extra year as an RFA.

At this rate, he would have been better off going to arbitration this year rather than saving it for next year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
All the way from YYC? Anthopoulos needs a good defensive arm in the Jays OF for this season.:laugh:

this made me legit laugh out loud.

I said this during the GDT thread.

I've never seen a player work so hard to earn his next paycheque and look utterly horrendous at it as Franson. If there's another player, shoot out a name because I'm blanking out.

Subban sat out on a bridge deal, then signed - played like a GOD [say what you will re: his defensive play], won a Norris, and is awesome again this year and made the Olympic team. Needless to say, that Montreal GM is going to have to pay a lot.

Franson had the nerve to demand 4 million for 4 years. then demanded 4 million for 1 year, then sat out and signed for the last two days of training camp. and then played awesome for 4 games [two preseason, two regular season] and then proceeded to play like garbage.

I personally would trade him for MDZ (who is three years younger, and could get better) than keep Franson. I'd trade Franson for a pick. I don't care if he becomes studly somewhere else, it's not working here. And he's going to turn around and demand 4 years(min) 4 mill (min). based on PP, Points, and his stupid Right hand shot.

i swear, I wish I was born a male, because I'm right handed, and I bet I could probably figure out how to play better defense than Franson.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
this made me legit laugh out loud.

I said this during the GDT thread.

I've never seen a player work so hard to earn his next paycheque and look utterly horrendous at it as Franson. If there's another player, shoot out a name because I'm blanking out.

Subban sat out on a bridge deal, then signed - played like a GOD [say what you will re: his defensive play], won a Norris, and is awesome again this year and made the Olympic team. Needless to say, that Montreal GM is going to have to pay a lot.

Franson had the nerve to demand 4 million for 4 years. then demanded 4 million for 1 year, then sat out and signed for the last two days of training camp. and then played awesome for 4 games [two preseason, two regular season] and then proceeded to play like garbage.

I personally would trade him for MDZ (who is three years younger, and could get better) than keep Franson. I'd trade Franson for a pick. I don't care if he becomes studly somewhere else, it's not working here. And he's going to turn around and demand 4 years(min) 4 mill (min). based on PP, Points, and his stupid Right hand shot.

i swear, I wish I was born a male, because I'm right handed, and I bet I could probably figure out how to play better defense than Franson.

Its simple, when you see an overload of opposing forwards closing in on you, you back off from the offensive zone to maintain positioning for the oncoming rush rather then try to pinch the puck in.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Trade him to Calgary or Edmonton for a 2nd. If we could even get that. We could have a slow skater with a good shot in Brennan on the Marlies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Went to the game tonight, here are my observations that may not readily have been picked up watching on TV.

The Best of the best -

Bozak - One of the best players on the ice, should have had 2 goals tonight, one called back that should have counted. But it isn't even the goals that make him a real good player. Bozak plays a heady game, uses his body, and he makes great reads. And yes, he wins key face-offs. What you really notice watching him live, is he is a very intelligent player.

JVR - Very Strong game, has real good hands in close, and obcourse he scored a big shootout goal. Not as strong on the wall as I would like, but he got dirty tonight which I like. He was also solid on the PK, something that may be overlooked.

Bernier - Real solid game, plays the angles well. Anticipates the play. Difference maker tonight. Made some big saves.

Clarkson - Yes, he was one of the better Leafs tonight. Won't show on the scoresheet, but he made some real good defensive plays, strong on the wall, and finished his checks. Made a great play to almost score a highlight reel goal. Really noticeable tonight for all the right reasons.

The Good -

Gunnarson - Smart D man, reads and makes good plays. Liked his game

Franson - Good bounce back game, if he can play like tonight, he will be an asset

Rielly - Excellent vision, made great reads joining the rush. He is already better than Gardiner

Ashton - Good energetic game, didn't look bad a Center

Kessel - OK to good game, thought he was the weakest member of the #1 line, up live you can see he is not a good defensive player. But offensively no one is quicker carrying the puck and setting up chances. A bit of mixed reviews with him tonight.

Phaneuf - Solid game, nothing spectacular, more efficient than anything

Most Underrated player - Going to give it to Kulemin for his board work.

The Bad -

Going to give a collective bad to the Kadri, Lupul, Raymond line.

They are just awful defensively, everytime they were on the ice, you could see odd man rushes developing. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Collectively these 3 guys made a lot of bad decisions tonight. Offensively, they play so individualistic, had the crowd moaning a lot tonight.

Raymond - This guy looks worse live than on HNIC. Soft and makes some real bad decisions on plays

Lupul - A very sloppy game, took a needless dumb penalty that could have sunk us. Not playing to his potential

Gardiner - Unlike Rielly, he makes a lot Bad decisions with the puck. On more than one play he either just blindly shoots the puck up the boards to a Devils player, or simply doesn't have the foresight to bank the puck softer so that a Leafs player can break with the puck. One thing you really notice live is he looses more puck battles than he wins. Almost always never comes away with the puck from the corner. What to do with this player?

Indifferent(not bad not good)

Kadri - He has definitely lost some of his jam. Didn't seem to want the puck at times, one thing that is very noticeable about him unlike to Bozak, is he doesn't support or give his D man an outlet when they are pressured. Wasn't bad tonight, but didn't really notice him.

Gleason - Played a quiet game, didn't notice him too much. Which maybe is a good thing for Franson. He is not as important as Gunnarson based on this viewing. But he is much better than Fraser or Ranger.

Mcclement - second effort, he tries, give him credit for this, but he is clearly miscast as a #3C. No complaints about his play, but he brings virtually no offence to the table.

D'amigo - thought the first PP goal was his fault, but all in all he was ok tonight.

Orr - Played with some vigour, did his job with some big hits and energy

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Finally saw the reply on the disallowed Bozak goal

What. The. ****.

I'm baffled as to how that was goalie interference

mikebel111*

Much needed win. Kadri had a nice night on draw. Will be inconsistent but is showing progress last few games

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
He is definitely a great player. I would like to see him use his body a little more though. With winning board battles and what not. But, in front of the net he is awesome.

jvr isnt really a board grinder... he is a skill player

Geese_Howard*

Our bottom 6 has a combined 10 goals? This is why we ****ing suck. Shut out our top 2 lines and you will win. No chance in hell the bottom 6 can help.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Our bottom 6 has a combined 10 goals? This is why we ****ing suck. Shut out our top 2 lines and you will win. No chance in hell the bottom 6 can help.

Has a lot to do with Bolland out. McClement is a black hole offensively and has actually become pretty overrated around here. I would not pay him 2 million a year, he's a fourth line center. As for the offensive from the bottom 6 we should role something like this for the bottom six:

Kulimen-Bolland- Clarkson
Mclarren - McClement- D'Amigo

Geese_Howard*

Has a lot to do with Bolland out. McClement is a black hole offensively and has actually become pretty overrated around here. I would not pay him 2 million a year, he's a fourth line center. As for the offensive from the bottom 6 we should role something like this for the bottom six:

Kulimen-Bolland- Clarkson
Mclarren - McClement- D'Amigo

No excuse when we have scorers in the ahl. I think Carlyle has ruined the PK by over playing mcclement. He's a great 4th liner/pker

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think it was a game with decent hustle and fewer than usual mistakes. Our second line is still utterly useless in its current capacity and something has to change there. Don't think the Rielly - Gardiner pairing worked that well, and it's infuriating how our forwards still disappear way too fast and get stuck up at the blueline, waiting.

As for the discussion about infractions, I often write on other teams boards and never get infractions. I think you have to remember that it's their boards, a place where they should be able to come and be as ridiculous as they want when it comes to their own team. If you respect that then you won't have a problem. It's about the tone of your posts, not the validity of its contents.

And I say no on MDZ for Franson. It would just replace one problem with another. I'm sure there are options out there that could actually benefit this organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad