Post-Game Talk: Well We Win! Devils 2, Leafs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Carlyle played defense for years and was good at it.He should be the guy working with these young defensemen.I don't really understand how a coach that played defence can't teach it to these guys.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
So now that I'm happy about the loss, I just need to comment on how brutal Franson is. What is going through his brain when he makes such stupid pinches? What was even more irritating was that after he made the pinch, Gleason puts hand head down and skated hard back in the zone while Franson looked like he was taking a stroll in comparison. It seems like a ridiculous amount of goals are caused by him.

Edit: damn autocorrect...I don't even know how my first line ended up like that.

I meant 'so, not that I'm not happy with the win but...'

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So now that I'm happy about the loss, I just need to comment on how brutal Franson is. What is going through his brain when he makes such stupid pinches? What was even more irritating was that after he made the pinch, Gleason puts hand head down and skated hard back in the zone while Franson looked like he was taking a stroll in comparison. It seems like a ridiculous amount of goals are caused by him.

On a more positive note, if we do resign Franson - it won't be close to the 5M he was expecting, who knows - we might get him on a cheap two or three year deal and then he regains the game he played during last seasons playoffs.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Rielly seriously needs to work on his shot.

Also, I don't see the big plays he was making in Junior at the NHL at all. Someone needs to help this guy find his way.

He seems to be playing hesitant, maybe even worried about making a mistake and getting on RC's bad side. It's not even just him though, most of the D core has been almost robotic in their play styles, making the predictable passes on the PP.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
On a more positive note, if we do resign Franson - it won't be close to the 5M he was expecting, who knows - we might get him on a cheap two or three year deal and then he regains the game he played during last seasons playoffs.

I'd rather him just play well now, increasing his value to the team as well as trade and contract wise. Then we can look at our options, but right now he's garbage, easily replaced by Rielly or Gardiner in a year or two.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
I'd rather him just play well now, increasing his value to the team as well as trade and contract wise. Then we can look at our options, but right now he's garbage, easily replaced by Rielly or Gardiner in a year or two.

Gardiner is playing better than him now,Reilly's not far behind.I don't think he's happy about being low-balled on his contract.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Thankfully we beat the Devils. Some of their fans are just so insufferable. They felt the no goal call was ok because Orr didn't get called for a little shove :facepalm:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Thankfully we beat the Devils. Some of their fans are just so insufferable. They felt the no goal call was ok because Orr didn't get called for a little shove :facepalm:
Well they aren't that good a team and they don't have a first round pick, I'm not surprised what guys that are on the board aren't in the best of moods :).

At least we have the pick cushion to fall back on :laugh:. Though our shootout skill is keeping us around that playoff spot.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Carlyle played defense for years and was good at it.He should be the guy working with these young defensemen.I don't really understand how a coach that played defence can't teach it to these guys.

Its like trying to teach highschool kids Math when they are busy texting and talking in the back corner. It takes 2 to tango and if the players don't want to listen, they are not going to learn.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Gardiner is playing better than him now,Reilly's not far behind.I don't think he's happy about being low-balled on his contract.

He wasn't low balled, the leafs wanted to sign him for a longer term and he refused. He probably thought he could cash in after this season, too bad for him.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

He's UFA though. He may not get the kind of money he initially wanted but he may get an offer elsewhere that is more than Nonis wants or can afford to allocate to him. Franson has good attributes but it seems but without sheltered minutes and a defensive damn to play alongside, there is a lot of risk in handing him a deal and hoping that he can turn it around (unless he comes cheap and short term).

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He's UFA though. He may not get the kind of money he initially wanted but he may get an offer elsewhere that is more than Nonis wants or can afford to allocate to him. Franson has good attributes but it seems but without sheltered minutes and a defensive damn to play alongside, there is a lot of risk in handing him a deal and hoping that he can turn it around (unless he comes cheap and short term).
I say let him walk. If he turns it around somewhere else good for him.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Well they aren't that good a team and they don't have a first round pick, I'm not surprised what guys that are on the board aren't in the best of moods :).

At least we have the pick cushion to fall back on :laugh:. Though our shootout skill is keeping us around that playoff spot.

The Devils must have a lot of cap space considering the players they lost the past couple of years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

no he's not, sweets. he's a RFA (according to capgeek anyway).

I've defended Nonis but if he gives Franson one red cent I will throw rocks at his head.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
no he's not, sweets. he's a RFA (according to capgeek anyway).

I've defended Nonis but if he gives Franson one red cent I will throw rocks at his head.
All the way from YYC? Anthopoulos needs a good defensive arm in the Jays OF for this season.:laugh:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

At this rate, his 2M seems like an overpayment, not a lowball. If that is affecting his play, then good for him for being unprofessional and sabotaging his opportunity to fully maximize his earnings on his next contract.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA

He will still be a RFA at seasons end.So far,I don't see much bargaining power.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Anyone else notice Phaneuf has been trying to stay out the full 2mins on PP lately? Is he trying to get more points or something?

Gardiner still has to work on making quicker decisions. He holds the puck too long at times and then has to turn back or get rid of the puck.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I was at this game!!!! :nod:

Top line played great.

Rielly played well.

Gleason played well.

Love the win :)

But honestly, why was Bozak's second disallowed???

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Anyone else notice Phaneuf has been trying to stay out the full 2mins on PP lately? Is he trying to get more points or something?

Gardiner still has to work on making quicker decisions. He holds the puck too long at times and then has to turn back or get rid of the puck.
I'd imagine it's coming from the bench.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto

Trying to pad his stats for his upcoming contract negotiations. Oh wait....:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad