Post-Game Talk: Well.. at least we scored? Leafs lose 3-1. Onto St Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
What about the improvement?

Leafs only gave up 87 shots against in the 3 CA games = 29 shots/g and they use to give up 34.5 shots a game under Carlyle.

Sure they went 0-3 losing them all, and were outscored 11-1 in the process but there is verifiable evidence that the coaching change has had concrete improvement of reducing shots against by 5 here on average.

Oh yeah, I forgot that they are also learning about the proper way to win and lose games that you mentioned. Under RC they were always losing the wrong way, but under Horachek, at least they are losing the right way now, correct?

Wait, they allowed over 30 shots against last night and were out shot, and out scored....... Does last night's loss go in the losing the right way column or in the losing the wrong way column?

RC has only been gone for 5 games and they are back to losing games the wrong way again?

Fire Horachek ?!?:huh:

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Yes, Leafs were 29th in the NHL in most shots against so I thought it was clearly a problem.

I guess it comes down to how do you prefer to lose now as a Leaf fan?

- Under Horachek 1.60 GF/g & 3.40 GA/g with -9 (8GF & 17GA) Goal Differential but less shots against. (@5 games)

- Under Carlyle 3.20 GF/g & 3.05 GA/g with +8 (130GF & 122GA) Goal Diff but with more shots against. (@40 games)

Pick your poison !!!

Leafs score less and give up more goals against now but doing it while reducing shots against via a coaching change. I guess those that believe player personnel is the problem will have to patiently wait for changes to evaluate the results thereafter.

You need the vets that can play this game. Santorelli, Winnik and Clarkson know how to play it, the others have been high wheeling since the day they came in the league. You will never have a team commit to this style when Kessel continues to be the player who refuses to make the sacrifices. Can't say that Bozak has been any better with it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Reimer was bombarded with 41 shots and was outstanding in net for the Leafs giving them a chance to win.

It looked like they were playing Carlyle's system yesterday throughout most of the game.. Outshot 17 -4 in 2nd period was eerily similar to days of old, where the goalie needs to steal the show.

It looked like Santorelli and Gardiner were the only Maple Leafs that showed up interested to compete.

Agreed.

Reimer, Santorelli, Gardiner - 3 stars last night

Honourable mention - Polak

AHL scrubs weren't as bad as some of the regulars.

Need a center with some size, along with smarts and skating. Manhandled like boys against men.

I was wondering if Gauthier is better, softer Carrick?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Agreed.

Need a center with some size, along with smarts and skating. Manhandled like boys against men.

How can you say Gardiner is a star when his actions directly lead to a goal against? He is a -18 +/- and while that stat isn't very good by itself compare that to Reilly's -2, Polak -7, and Phaneuf's 0 it paints a very good picture of how his play this season has been.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'll take Horachek any day of the week. Had TO gotten a lucky bounce the game would have been tied. Shanahan waited too long to fire Carlyle and now the season is over before Toronto can get used to the new system.

Leafs were outshot 42-25 yesterday (17-4 in the 2nd period alone).

Some would say Horachek's Leafs played Carlyle's system, hoping for Reimer to steal the game for them while getting badly outshot and out chanced. We even reunited the top line to help ensure similar past results.

Isn't this why they fired Carlyle in the first place to prevent the 40+ shot nights?

I kept getting this strange Déjà vu feeling that I'd seen this somewhere before. ;)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How can you say Gardiner is a star when his actions directly lead to a goal against? He is a -18 +/- and while that stat isn't very good by itself compare that to Reilly's -2, Polak -7, and Phaneuf's 0 it paints a very good picture of how his play this season has been.

Because on the whole there wasn't a lot of good to evaluate.

Reimer kept the game close.

We're talking about last night, not the season!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Agreed.

Lol Gardiner was horrible last night. Was a direct reason for one GA and a big reason on another.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012

I kept getting this strange Déjà vu feeling that I'd seen this somewhere before. ;)

So it has only taken 5 games for the players to tune out the new coach? :shakehead

that doesn't reflect well on the players then.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Oh yeah, I forgot that they are also learning about the proper way to win and lose games that you mentioned. Under RC they were always losing the wrong way, but under Horachek, at least they are losing the right way now, correct?

Wait, they allowed over 30 shots against last night and were out shot, and out scored....... Does last night's loss go in the losing the right way column or in the losing the wrong way column?

RC has only been gone for 5 games and they are back to losing games the wrong way again?

Fire Horachek ?!?:huh:

Under Carlyle the Leafs were accused of winning the wrong way and now under Horachek they have corrected that problem and now are losing the right way.

Now that is solved, so Shanny can move onto making player changes so that Leafs can begin winning the right way.

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lol Gardiner was horrible last night. Was a direct reason for one GA and a big reason on another.

How can he be responsible for the empty net goal? Which is one of the minuses several players received last night. He was on for one goal against and then the empty netter.

Players can be responsible for goals and still have a good game (compared to teammates).

Yes, maybe I should say he looked like he cared and was trying to make something happen. He had his regular moments of what do I do now. It isn't like the competition for being one of the best Leafs is saying much.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/GS020653.HTM

Who stood out for you on defense?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How can he be responsible for the empty net goal? Which is one of the minuses several players received last night. He was on for one goal against and then the empty netter.

Players can be responsible for goals and still have a good game (compared to teammates).

Yes, maybe I should say he looked like he cared and was trying to make something happen. He had his regular moments of what do I do now. It isn't like the competition for being one of the best Leafs is saying much.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/GS020653.HTM

Who stood out for you on defense?

No. He was the direct cause of the Tyler Kennedy goal, and was a big part of the Marleau goal.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Some would say Horachek's Leafs played Carlyle's system, hoping for Reimer to steal the game for them while getting badly outshot and out chanced. We even reunited the top line to help ensure similar past results.

Isn't this why they fired Carlyle in the first place to prevent the 40+ shot nights?

Its almost like it is the players who have been the problem all along!

:help:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No. He was the direct cause of the Tyler Kennedy goal, and was a big part of the Marleau goal.

Didn't Marleau skate around Phaneuf like he was standing still and take the puck to the net for the game winning goal?.

Was Gardiner even on the ice as Polak was Dion's partner in this game?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Didn't Marleau skate around Phaneuf like he was standing still and take the puck to the net for the game winning goal?.

He beat Phaneuf on the outside, but Gardiner allowed Nieto to walk in and push the puck in.

Both are responsible for the goal

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
So it has only taken 5 games for the players to tune out the new coach? :shakehead

that doesn't reflect well on the players then.

well to be objective it's only been 1 game because the previous 4 games the Leafs played tight defensively, which is what the new coach wants, in 2 of those games, the Leafs out shot their opposition, last night was the 1st game where the players seemed to tune out the new coach. It could be argued that they were road weary too, whatever it is, there needs to be a change.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Last night was the closest second half of a back to back we played all season.

Not to mention that the leafs had been struggling to score under rc for ten games before horachek took over

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
I never thought i could question my loyalty to this team. Been watching since i was 7 years old.
And i'll admit i over react to the bad times, but it's too much. If Nonis and this core finish this season i'm done.

Admit it, you'll never be done. You'll be right back as soon as it gets a bit positive again. We all do!

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Gardiner played one of his better games last night, he actually showed some promise again.

Reilly seems to be confused as to what to do, which I attribute to being the sophomore slump.

Kadri needs to get his head out of his ass too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad