Post-Game Talk: Well.. at least we scored? Leafs lose 3-1. Onto St Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Before I get started I'll just say I've missed the last 2 games. Highlights and boxscores. So, It may be a little easier for me to take a reasonable approach on this situation.

The Leafs just made a coaching change. They've gone from a team that focused soley on cheating for odd man rushes, they had systems in place that helped lead to basement possession and SA totals. Since, Horachek has taken over defensively the team as whole is better. Their possession is up and their SA totals down. Their own drop in SF is rather small.

They just went on a California trip against 3 of the toughest teams in the league. On paper the Leafs should have lost those games. The fact that the Leafs are trying to implement a new system and play a completely different style of game than they have for years at the same time should be difficult.

Remember how everyone said corsi was wrong. But, the advanced stats crowd continually predicted that they would collapse over a large period of games, that poor possession and SA totals wasn't a sustainable method to winning. Well they were right. You know what they'd likely say now that SA and possession numbers have become respectable, good even. They would say that over a large period of games the Leafs should win more than they lose. They are right about that too, teams that don't give up much and spend the majority of the time out of their own end and in the other teams end generally win more games. The fact that the Leafs have a few one shot scorers and a good goalie should only help the cause.

I'm not saying there should not be movement in the way of trades. I would hope there is. The Leafs would have to play some pretty good hockey from here on out for them to even have a chance. Sell the UFA's and try to ditch some of the vets on big contracts.

Although, I would say some patience is required. The goals will come in time.

Please don't use the word patience..just let people carry on with their own agendas and what they want for this team. If people want to blow it up like I do then let us...I don't need to be told to be patient when I've had to deal with this sad sack franchise my whole life, the sad part is I bleed blue. I can't change who I love, and I love this team. But telling us patience is required...nah we have already been patient. I'm done waiting for this core. I want it gone and blown up.

And who cares if this team starts scoring again, losses are the most important thing right now. The more we have the better our pick. Winning now will just make us good enough where we get the 13th overall pick.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Please don't use the word patience..just let people carry on with their own agendas and what they want for this team. If people want to blow it up like I do then let us...I don't need to be told to be patient when I've had to deal with this sad sack franchise my whole life, the sad part is I bleed blue. I can't change who I love, and I love this team. But telling us patience is required...nah we have already been patient. I'm done waiting for this core. I want it gone and blown up.

And who cares if this team starts scoring again, losses are the most important thing right now. The more we have the better our pick. Winning now will just make us good enough where we get the 13th overall pick.

Patience will be required either way, especially if we decide to blow it up.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Patience will be required either way, especially if we decide to blow it up.

I would assume the people who want to blow it up like me will be patient. Obviously a blow up situation requires time and patience for prospects to develop. I'm willing to accept a long process if it means we're doing things the right way and not rushing things, and not trying to hurry up things with another Kessel situation

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I would assume the people who want to blow it up like me will be patient. Obviously a blow up situation requires time and patience for prospects to develop. I'm willing to accept a long process if it means we're doing things the right way and not rushing things, and not trying to hurry up things with another Kessel situation

Absolutely, I'm with you on that. I also think the context makes it easier to be patient.

It worries me to see so many turn on Rielly for having a so-so season in his second pro year though. That does not bode well for how things will look here in a rebuild.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
We should have just gave the west coast teams the points and stayed home and practiced. Can you do that?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Absolutely, I'm with you on that. I also think the context makes it easier to be patient.

It worries me to see so many turn on Rielly for having a so-so season in his second pro year though. That does not bode well for how things will look here in a rebuild.

Some can't even handle Nylander all ready.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Good game Reims.

Reimer played awesome.....too bad the team didn't....Great game by Reimer. But no offense.

Reimer must feel terrible because even his good games are losses (he allows 2 goals, 1 which shouldn't have counted) and he still loses and all you hear from the media and irrational fans is that Reimer hasn't won since mid December, well guess what, it's nothing to do with Reimer is it? Reimer's win/loss record is a bit misleading, but I would hope most fans would realize that, the problem unfortunately is they don't.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Reimer must feel terrible because even his good games are losses (he allows 2 goals, 1 which shouldn't have counted) and he still loses and all you hear from the media and irrational fans is that Reimer hasn't won since mid December, well guess what, it's nothing to do with Reimer is it? Reimer's win/loss record is a bit misleading, but I would hope most fans would realize that, the problem unfortunately is they don't.

He's gotta have a decent game once in a while. Also helps his trade value I guess?

YOYOTCROSTER*

Here come all the Leaf dreamers again. Be patient. Be reasonable. F8ck there is no time for patience. The team is in a very bad state. The personnel is middle of road at best. Their number 1 goalie is mid pack 15-20 in nhl starters. Their number 1 centre is in bottom 5 in nhl teams. Their number 1 defence is 20-25 in nhl teams. You can NEVER win EVER when your top 3 guys down middle of ice rank so low. Yes you can get rest of team up a few levels which they did over last year but that does not change the end result. The Leafs have a bunch of decent scoring wingers which is the least important thing a team needs.

Delicious Dangles*

You're surprised about Rielly? We have people here incessantly blasting an 18 year old kid who hasn't even played a single game in the NHL or AHL for that matter. It doesn't matter if he's one of the best prospects in the world, better than or equal to anything you could hope to get with a top pick, if he's not THEIR ideal type of prospect.

Fact is, people especially around here AREN'T patient. And I seriously question the ability of the city, and more importantly the brainwashing media, to be patient. People like to say they are patient. And may even pretend for a while for the right circumstances.

But unless this "patience" is rewarded with the exact path and decisions that they want, they quickly devolve into the whining, self-entitled mess that everybody knows they are.

Patience only for specific paths that match or at least follow your ideal (which usually are not realistic in reality) is not patience, especially when it comes with total disregard and disrespect for all other paths or decisions.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
You're surprised about Rielly? We have people here incessantly blasting an 18 year old kid who hasn't even played a single game in the NHL or AHL for that matter. It doesn't matter if he's one of the best prospects in the world, better than or equal to anything you could hope to get with a top pick, if he's not THEIR ideal type of prospect.

Fact is, people especially around here AREN'T patient. And I seriously question the ability of the city, and more importantly the brainwashing media, to be patient. People like to say they are patient. And may even pretend for a while for the right circumstances.

But unless this "patience" is rewarded with the exact path and decisions that they want, they quickly devolve into the whining, self-entitled mess that everybody knows they are.

Patience only for specific paths that match or at least follow your ideal (which usually are not realistic in reality) is not patience, especially when it comes with total disregard and disrespect for all other paths or decisions.

Well put.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto

Call me impatient but 1 playoff round in 10 years really is trying my patience.:sarcasm:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Call me impatient but 1 playoff round in 10 years really is trying my patience.:sarcasm:

don't you miss the good old days when you could have a crappy record and still make the playoff, remember in 1987 when the leafs were 32-42-10 and not only made the playoffs, but went to the 2nd round. Missing the playoffs isn't the shame it used to be, before if you missed the playoffs, you sucked, no logical way to dispute it, now you can have a decent team and miss. A good example is the 06 and 07 Leafs both had winning records and missed by 1 point. The Leafs need some serious changes because making the playoffs is no longer for any avg team, you got to be good.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

The "fans" here aren't a good representation of the fanbase in general. The "fans" here have very little patience in general, always wanting the next new toy.

Self entitled is a good way to put it.

Delicious Dangles*

Only reason that the last 10 years was brought up was we have been told to be patient for the whole period. When Burke came here I was quite ready to be patient for as long as it took to rebuild properly. Look at the gong show we have presently which is a direct result of him not being patient.
We have not been rebuilding for 10 years.

This team, which is far from a gong show, is as good or better than anything people should have been expecting after this length of rebuild and our relative starting level. This is not "the result of not being patient" as you put it. It is simply a long and complex road to become a contender, and there are a lot of things, especially in Toronto, that can be barriers to that end.

People's ideas of rebuilds are severely warped these days.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
We have not been rebuilding for 10 years.

This team, which is far from a gong show, is as good or better than anything people should have been expecting after this length of rebuild and our relative starting level. This is not "the result of not being patient" as you put it. It is simply a long and complex road to become a contender, and there are a lot of things, especially in Toronto, that can be barriers to that end.

People's ideas of rebuilds are severely warped these days.
I am quite aware this team has not been rebuilding. They have never ever been in rebuild mode.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I am quite aware this team has not been rebuilding. They have never ever been in rebuild mode.

they were in rebuild mode in January 09, but quit in January 2013, they should have waited for Burke's 5 year plan, but they fired him a year too soon to see if his plan would work.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The "fans" here aren't a good representation of the fanbase in general. The "fans" here have very little patience in general, always wanting the next new toy.

Self entitled is a good way to put it.

Yea, wanting a better product is self entitled. I should be satisfied with status quo. Our team is great, they will turn it around at some point. Maybe it will take another 10 years :shakehead

Last edited:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Yea, wanting a better produce is self entitled. I should be satisfied with status quo. Our team is great, they will turn it around at some point. Maybe it will take another 10 years :shakehead
You aren't allowed to bring up the past. It's all about the here and now. Even saying they have 3 wins in the last 14 games might be considered dwelling in the past.

Delicious Dangles*

It's been mostly more of a plug holes here and there approach post lockout. With predictable results considering the teams have been mediocre to start with.
That is not true.

You aren't allowed to bring up the past. It's all about the here and now. Even saying they have 3 wins in the last 14 games might be considered dwelling in the past.
That is also not true. You're on a roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad